Yay CoD 4

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Ok I foolishly downloaded this off Steam.

The fps is a bit jerky, but Ive downscaled a bit and its ok now with the 7900GTO.

BUT theres a big sound problem, I cant hear the guns firing, pretty much half the sounds are missing.

Any ideas anyone who might know?

Cheers :)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
what soundcard you using for it ? and vista/xp ?

i heard there were a few sound probs with it, didnt get it myself tho :\

best thing i can suggest is :
steam -= verify local files/cache
turn off all clever sound stuff - surround sound etc, set to stereo, see if that works

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Its an old Audigy card. It is old I know, but all other games are ok, CSS, Company of Heroes, CoD2, lots of games.

Its XP btw, Ill check what you said cheers :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
old sound card shouldn't be a problem as long as the drivers are atleast updated this year :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Drivers are up to date. I tried it on mono, it works fine :(

Mabs

if you got the creative console thing installed, put it back to normal, then turn OFF: EAX, sound effects, CSS, reverb, etc, if any of its on

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I havent , I just installed the drivers. Ill have a butchers cheers :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I uninstalled everything to do with Creative, then tried the onboard sound. This gave me loads of jip so I reinstalled the Audigy card. As I restarted the pc I heard the jolly XP music. As far as I know there's no Creative stuff on the PC, but the sound works, and works fine in CoD4 as well.

Rather odd, but I give up Ill just pretend everything is how I planned :p

throdgrain

FH is my second home
shot0000-medium;init:.jpg

The colours go a bit wierd sometimes mind ....

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
lol trem's pink meat gun ;)

let me know what you think of it Mr Throd, I've been lusting after the game for a while now, but was holding off getting it on steam. I know you're a multiplayer buff, but I particularly like the CoD singleplayer stories so I am curious what it's like this time around.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Hate to say it, but so far the single player is rather good :)

Ive not done any MP really, I tried it but theres some wierd graphical errors (the picture above is an extreme example). My gun on mP is black, lots of the textures are just black, it looks kind of stupid Im not doing it like that.

All in all though so far Id say the game is much better than I'd expected, if your buying it for single player Id probably recommend it, for whats thats worth :)

Ive read on the net that it's made for DX9, which seems a bit wierd what with the problems I've had. Mind you Im playing it in 1280 x 1024 which is my monitors native resolution. The game apparently wants to play in 800 x 600, but thats simply Not Happening :)

Mabs

just a side note - multiplayer ranks are saved on your pc , client side, so if you start doing it, and need to reinstall, back up the files first ;)

oh and to quote most of the tech forums for it - "cod 4 is known to have issues with the 7xxx series NVidia cards, try updating the drivers" :(

TdC

ooh coolies, tbh having you say you enjoy the SP elements is imo praise indeed for the game. shame the gfx are playing up for you. I had that in CoD2: had the special ed version iirc, and the textures were forever playing up once I installed the (at the time) recent release of nVidia's drivers. After that I got tearing and blinking textures, and iirc also black areas that were texture free :(

bit worrying, because I have a 7950GX2, which is a wierd enough card as it is, and run at 1920x1200 o0

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Ive just installed the latest Nvidia drivers (169.21) and it seems ok, played a bit more no dodgy graphics.

Odd because I only reinstalled 2 weeks ago so the drivers that were there were no more than a fortnight old!

TdC

oh well, my finger slipped and I bought Bioshock instead ;) it's pretty and bashing some freak's head in with a large wrench does have it's charm ;)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Mate this game just made me buy a 8800 GTS. This game is so good single player, the figures and landscape so realistic, it may be the first single player game I finish since Quake 3!

TdC

wow that's praise indeed! I shall see if I can squeeze another drop from the trusty plastic card ;)

Tilda

I bought it pre-xmas and love it.
Its so much fun, first single player game i've completed in ages. It really rocks!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I like the SAS British accents too, Im sure thats an actor Ive heard on telly speaking.

The player models are SUPERB. The buildings etc too, and the dogs :) Ive stopped playing the single player now till monday when my new video card arrives.

The Multi-player is quite pooh, however I know quite a few people on here think team deathmatch is the latest thing, so they'll prolly like that too :D

TdC

I've bought it, Throdrington! It's huge though, prolly take me the rest of the day to get it through el steam :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom