XBox Questions

Will

/bin/su
I'm thinking about getting an XBox for myself, but I have a few requirements that I can't find the answers for myself.

Does the XBox have a web-browser of any type?

Can I use a USB keyboard using any adaptors?

Is the XBox actually any good?

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
I'm thinking about getting an XBox for myself, but I have a few requirements that I can't find the answers for myself.

Does the XBox have a web-browser of any type?

Can I use a USB keyboard using any adaptors?

Is the XBox actually any good?

1: Noy yet afaik. Wont be too long, WIN XP is nearly running on it so.. Wont be long before the clever bods do manage a way, may even be now but i havent checked for a while as my xbox is getting a well deserved rest for a a bit.

2: Yes, they are straight usb cables, if you have spare cables lying around, mangle one yourself, my friend did this last week for a PC adaptor for his xbox pad.

3: Very.

Will

/bin/su
Doomy said:
1: Noy yet afaik. Wont be too long, WIN XP is nearly running on it so.. Wont be long before the clever bods do manage a way, may even be now but i havent checked for a while as my xbox is getting a well deserved rest for a a bit.
Enough waiting.:)

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
The xbox is my first console since the megadrive :eek7:

I find that there are a LOT of rubbish games that sound / look good but after 30 mins you don't want to touch them again. There are a few good games but compared to the PC I don't spend as many hours on them.

There is only one of my about 15 games that I can think of right now that I would play again and again, Project Gotham 2. There is no PC racing game that I like but this xbox game rules them all :D

You can watch the games in action here and read some reviews here so you can get a feel for any games you might want to buy.

The main problem I have with the xbox and probably other consoles is that you cannot save where you want but must reach checkpoints. It makes the games annoying at times, I havent played Crimson Skies because I can do the mission for about 10 mins then die, if this were a PC game I could just reload the game 5 seconds before I died and not 10 mins... :flame:

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm interesting. I presume Java and Flash enbled sites may be an issue, but that wont be too long :). Thats pretty cool tho, ill have to have a look at that when i finish Viewtiful Joe (I know but im finding it quite hard:().

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
There is plenty of games that will save your exact position, the file saves are enormous tho, maybe thats why many games wont allow you to do that. Deus Ex : Invisible war is one. Halo's save feature is amazing tho, really adds to the tensenesnesnesss.

lovedaddy

Fledgling Freddie
Out of the 3 consoles, the xbox is probably the weakest as far as games go.
Project Gotham 1/2
Panzer Dragoon
Halo
Knights of the old republic

Are about the only ones I can think of that are exclusive that I'd want to play. Saying that, those 4 alone (along with the 'best' versions of things like need for speed, calibur2, etc) definetly make him worth the money.

Will

/bin/su
It was Ninja Gaiden which got my attention. Looks very sweet. Though unless it gives me interweb access with a keyboard, I'll go without. It needs to be a bit more useful to me than an expensive way to play a few games.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Halo was OK as the checkpoints werent too far apart but as a game itself, I wasnt that impressed? I bought the Xbox last June and found some levels to be repetitive and there werent enough aliens. There were far better FPS games on the PC and yet I still couldnt put the game down until I complete it? :eek:

I havent liked the need for speed series since after the first hot pursuit game, PGR2 is too good :D

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
It was Ninja Gaiden which got my attention. Looks very sweet. Though unless it gives me interweb access with a keyboard, I'll go without. It needs to be a bit more useful to me than an expensive way to play a few games.

Trust me, Ninja Gaiden IS sweet.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Will, get one. You won't regret it mate.

Besides playing xbox games (mostly Ninja Gaiden, Rainbow Six 3, Steel Battalion 2) I use mine as a media centre (with XBMP) and for emulation. Mame, Amiga, Megadrive, SNES, N64, Neo Geo, etc etc etc - fantastic.

Will

/bin/su
I take it there is some n0rty modifications involved? :)

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
well....*whistles*

mine's chipped but there is a way to do it via software, nath knows how to iirc.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
the only prob i have with my xbox is since playing KOTOR, it keeps clicking all the time when i play games. ive read on some forums other people got the same problem. apart from that the xbox is great :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
So to sum up, the answers to your three questions are no, no and no.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Bodhi said:
So to sum up, the answers to your three questions are no, no and no.

Oi Donkey. theres a thread just for you elsewhere.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Fish. Barrel. Shooting.

Melly

Fledgling Freddie
Doomy said:

Currently, the only method of getting a Windows OS running on Xbox is through WINE/Gentoox, and all anyone has running on it so far is a non-functional version of Win95. WinCE, yes, WinXPe, possibly, WinXP, no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom