Games Xbox 360

Ormorof

FH is my second home
So, what would be the things to avoid if im looking to buy a "cheap" XBOX 360? mostly im looking at buying them because i want to play "new" games that frankly my laptop cannot handle (its a few years old now and dying slowly) and i figure it will be cheaper than upgrading to a proper PC :(

anything model/spec/combo packages to avoid? whats the red light error? (from my brief scan online ive seen a lot of talk on this without much info)

what about games, how do they play? (oblivion etc?) i have a HD TV but have not actually used it for anything HD yet, would i need to buy any extra cables for the HD setup? (or does that come with the box?)

theres a deal in gamestop i had my eye on for 2 games + xbox 360 (new i think) + controller for €180 is that a good price?

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i personally would never buy a second hand xbox, the 3 year warranty on new ones are worth it alone

Ormorof

FH is my second home
the deal in gamestop has same warranty as on new xboxes (or at least thats how they are advertised), now €120

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
If I were you I'd only get the slim, since they're a lot quieter than the big older bricks. Not all packages come with HDMI cables also, some just have the standard HD composite cable (which even the newest slim has, which is silly), so you might have to shell out for a HDMI cable if you want the slightly better picture qual.

Might also be worth seeing about getting a 'Play and Charge kit' so you don't have to fanny on with batterys every week or so. I'm with Sparx anyway, wouldn't touch a second hand one myself.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
i personally would never buy a second hand xbox, the 3 year warranty on new ones are worth it alone
This. My original xbox lasted outside it's warranty, but when it went it went hard and totally.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie

Xbox 360 console and accessories repair: Frequently asked questions

&

'2. Duration

Without prejudice to any statutory warranty to which You may be entitled under any local law applicable to You, and unless any such law provides for a longer term, Microsoft offers this Warranty, for a term of one (1) year from the purchase date of such Xbox 360 S from an authorized retailer, and 90 days for Accessories.'

Considering pre-owned from reputable retailers offer the same 1 year warranty - there's little difference between new and pre-owned except for the natural wear and tear a pre-owned has.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
M$ rolled out a 3 year warranty against RROD a couple of years ago

EDIT from your link bugz
Original Xbox 360 console with three flashing red lights or error E74: Three years from the console purchase date (not applicable to the Xbox 360 S console)

not really sure what your point was

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's original purchase date, not second hand purchase date.
The warranty period for three flashing red lights and the E74 error is three years from the original purchase date of the console. If your console is out of the three-year warranty period, you can still receive console repair service for a fee.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
M$ rolled out a 3 year warranty against RROD a couple of years ago

EDIT from your link bugz

not really sure what your point was

The point is the new S brand doesn't have 3 years - it has 1.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Staying on-topic:

Brand new Xbox 360's are rolling out for £120-150 now if you buuy them in the special bundles (like w/ FFXIII). Although I've heard some qualms about the HDMI cable in those bundles.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
hmmm i went in and had a look and its €120 but with nothing else but the xbox itself

€200 deal in same shop for Xbox, cables, controller, and 3 games... aaaah the choices, thanks for the info and FAQ link will keep looking :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Forget the RROD issues which are long gone, don't buy a second hand x360 of any model unless you can test it online because alot of them have been banned off XBL for being modified.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
RROD arnt gone they still happen but its not as often any more. and if its the old chunky ones, 2nd hand ones are noisey unless thy properly cleaned out which i doubt they are. one of my elites is noisey as fuck far noiser than my ps3 phat, took it to part exchange and the bloke remarked when testing it how its not as noisey as the others

stupid really ms, sony and maybe ninty ( wii is easier clean ) should design the cooling of consoles so that the fans are easily cleanable by the end user

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom