X-Windows Manager/Server for Windows XP

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Does anyone know of a _free_ X-Windows Manager or Server that can run under Windows XP ?

Simple solution needed, I want to run xterm on various UNIX/Linux/BSD machines in my network and have them display on my Windows XP machine.

It would be great if said package allowed automatic execution of the remote commands needed to fire up the xterm on the remote machine without having to get through telnet, rlogin, rexec, rsh, etc. Industry examples are WinAXE, Exceed, etc.

I use a mickey-mouse piece of shareware that does the job because the registration is broken, but I'd prefer a safer and more up-to-date solution.

I recently tried using cygwin, but this has no automatic remote execution (unless I do some scripts) and the X-Windows Manager is a bit crap and starts to explode when I try certain X-Windows applications.

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
if cygwin's XFree86 port is working OK, I'd stick with it - there is very little else that's that mature. You could use a windows manager from the remote machine (ie: proper KDE) rather than a local one - also http://x.cygwin.com/features.html implies that they have an XDM client which should be able to do all that fancy startup stuff for you?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I hate exceed's guts. commercially I use something called ViewNow (which I also hate btw), and at home...I don't run anything on my windows pc except games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom