X Rebirth

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Sandbox sci-fi due out in November. Trailer looks absolutely spanking.

Chances are I'll be playing this, been needing some spacey sci-fi for ages. Already available on Steam for pre-order.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
oh god another X. I'll need to clone myself to have enough time 0o

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
oh oh oh and the news / mission / bounty system will be *really* annoying!!!

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I've tried the previous X-space games, never really gotten into them. I guess what's putting me on hold is learning of all the controls. Also the steep learning curve. I mean, those things never put me off before. I guess I've got less time nowadays. I mean, you start in the middle of nowhere inside a spaceship.

Could someone give me a short tutorial? xD

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i spent several hours figuring out the controls for X3 (bought the big pack on steam) and once you get over that step its freaking amazeballs :)

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I'll really looking forward to this. For a tiny software house of less than 20 staff it looks fantastic. Earlier X games certainly had their flaws, mainly a truly god awful user interface, but they've spent a long time developing this new engine from scratch. One of their goals has been to vastly improve the UI and controls to make it easier for new players to start but to keep the same complexity in the universe sandbox. I hope they succeeded.

Despite the vertical learning curve require to get into it and clunky UI, the X3 series turned out to be a fantastic gem I discovered in a Steam sale. They are the closest thing to a true Elite sequel we have today.

Also I love the fact that Egosoft continuously improve their games after release, often for years - fixing bugs, incorporating player generated content, adding large DLC packs, all for free.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Loooove these games. Usually im addicted like hell for a couple of weeks until ive achieved all of my goals then i quit instantly :) at times a bit to sandboxy imo, and the story tend to be horrible

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Was very engrossed with X2, with me owing a factory or ship in almost every system. Though I lost most of my fleet in a stupid raid against the Xenon, after that I learnt to give them a wide berth. Though I broke the main storyline as I jumped into a system with a fleet instead of the story ship and it broke the script and could not progress further lol. Couldn't get into X3 in the same way, but I am looking forward to this as it's UI is supposed to be a lot more streamlined and made easier to control your company and its assets with.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Getting absolutely panned from what I've read so far. I had planned to get this on launch day but didn't pre-order. When I got home from work I decided to nosey at some reviews and was really surprised at the drubbing it was getting. Any of you guys played it yet?

Zarjazz

It's a completely normal Egosoft release. Great core game but awful character models and voices, startup & random crashes, bad performance for some people (oddly people with high spec systems are affected worse than those with low end pc's, probably problems with their new multi-threaded gfx engine), plot breaking bugs ... the usual. What's amplified the problem is that's it's sold very well (#1 on Steam) and a lot of new players expected it to work perfectly like a typical AAA game - they're just a small indie studio and they've always had QA problems with a sandbox of this complexity. Usually it's taken weeks for all the major bugs to be reported, with this many players it took under 24 hours.

A lot of the old X players are complaining too because they hate the new UI, ship management and removal of features - instead of 15 options to micro manage your empire and fleet its all automated via a radial menu. The vocal complainers basically wanted X4 & not a new game with different design choices. They don't mind the bugs though, they expect Egosoft to fix those. The X3:TC on release was nothing like the X3:TC several months later, it was almost a different game.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
So: wait until around Christmas to get it. This sounds like a fine wallet-friendly plan since there's a lot of activity in there atm anyway :)

Zarjazz

So: wait until around Christmas to get it. This sounds like a fine wallet-friendly plan since there's a lot of activity in there atm anyway :)

Actually in its current state Easter is more likely :) I find it hard to believe they didn't realise it was so bugged and completely unfinished before the release date so I suspect they were forced to for economic reasons. Still, they've released worse (only just). X2 was so broken on release certain character models were just floating eyeballs!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
The X3:TC on release was nothing like the X3:TC several months later, it was almost a different game.

That's only because they started including a crapload of community mods/tweaks/scripts into the game. That's where the majority of the good things came from.

/edit: Though we got to give DS a bit of a break, they are basically making single player EvE online space sims.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
its "coming soon" in the Black Friday , lol :(

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
While the introduction of community stuff might be nice, the deciding factor for me is the stability of the game itself. I don't mind forking out for something playable. If its not playable until some point in the future then I don't fork out until some point in the future. I feel sorry for the people raging and understandably wanting their money back, which last I checked, was being refused.

I realize that some people will squeal at the slightest thing but there's too much consistency in the responses to the launch of this game to be ignored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom