X-Box or PS2?

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Well, x-mas next month and we'll decided to replace the kids cheesy, old PS1 with something more up to date.

I personally favor the X-Box but I am open for suggestions.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

There are some really nice looking x-box titles out already, including a LoTR game. *sighs*

Problem is:
PS2 - Euro versions/US versions. Sony filed lawsuits against import stores here ie they are not allowed to distribute Sony licensed titles in Germany anymore.
And US versions are always better (I live in the country where blood is replaced by green goo and the bad guys look nothing like human beings anymore.............*snarls*) - so what should I do?
Send my mother in law 100 bucks every months, so she can pick up two games for me at Walmart? LOL

X-Box - no area code crap, better technology, some nice games in the pipeline.

*shrugs*
If I knew a place that shipped PS2 imports I might consider getting a PS2 over the the X Box.

Fuck Sony...:eek:

R

Ragnarok1978

I got an xbox and I say go for it! :)

One of my friends has a PS2 and there's a big difference between the looks of the games on the two platforms, xbox winning it ofcourse.

At first I was a bit sceptic about the xbox, but once you try it you wouldn't want anything else :D

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by old.Gombur Glodson
Get a gamecube.

*hisses*
To play those bubbly, candy floss Nintendo games like Superduperwhooper-Mario?
*hisses again*

... on the other hand... Resident Evil.... yumm....
How about I get both? Hehe

Hmmm........... just checked xbox.com again.
Lookee here... check the little movie.

Yum! But it's a Molyneux game... he is worse than GOA with release dates. *sighs*

S

SFXman

Get a better PC.

;)

I don't go for consoles anymore these days so can't recommend anything. Played tons of games on the PS2 at a friends house but only played Amped and Halo on the X-Box. Mind you that the 15 minutes I played Amped gave me such a good impression... Amped is a snowboarding game for all you who didn't know.

B

Belsameth

beeing the lucky owner of both I can safely say PS2 is the superiour consol. while the X-Box is clearly has the better potential of the 2, it fails to shine due to the lack of decent games (DoA 3 and Halo are the only 2 worth mentioning imo) while the PS2 has boatloads already. if you find those 2 games worth an X-Box tho, I'd surely say go for it. they're 2 of the best consol games I played (bar the whole Final Fantasy saga ofcourse :) )

O

old.Hendrick

I wouldn't worry about import-games on the PS2 in germany. You can easily order that stuff on the web at places like dvdboxoffice.com - all you need is a credit card. If you want US-games, buy a us-PS2 and stuff from above mentioned webby or on ebay. Or get your console chipped for 100 Euros and you can play PAL and NTSC games as well. Or get your friendly local videogames dealer to import stuff for you. It really is not that hard. I live in germany too and never had any problems.

Apart from that, nowadays you can't really go wrong with any console. The Xbox is quite cheap at the moment actually, I think you can get the box plus two great games for 250.- Euros. And the Lord of the Rings game is also out on PS2.

If I had to choose, I'd get a cube though. Miyamoto is god :)

O

old.Gombur Glodson

But nintendo really acted like idiots when they sold Rare :(

S

ShiShi

hello guys :)
I'm amasez seing Uncle Sick (tm) posting sth constructive :) heheh
(NOT A FLAME, AND NO SARCASM) /wave

imo there is no question X-box or PSx2 or PC...
why?
All the platforms have sth to offer, sth unique, so if yo got time to play all of this (sigh) and money, you should own all of them
The specificity of the consoles is they got their leading tittles which will most probably never published on other platform...or if they are, conversion might be crap etc...
Which means, if a certain type of game apeals to you, each of console has sth to offer , no doubt here.
Atm I got N64, PSX1, PSX2 and a PC hehe
Only games like Syphon Filter (PSX1, but on my top 5 best game ever played), Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy would make me buy the consoles.
The only thing I can see "not in favour" of X-box, that for the moment most of tittles seem to be arcade style, racers, skaters etc..but sure more I like, which are jap RPGs will come..
well, my 2 cents

take care

S.

O

old.job

Get a gamecube.

Yes, I'm getting a Gamecube myself, just love the games and Waverace will be my first purchase.
Zelda's gone a bit weird though, new cartoon graphics aren't for me.

Still waiting for it to go to £49, before I buy it, been stung so many times before.

All spec hungry doods out there will derise the console, but the simple fact is that Nintendo games have a history and a familiarity which keeps me coming back.
X-box/ps2 games look slightly better ,but I play them for 10 mins and get bored, don't connect with the characters or care of their fate.
Zelda /Mario/Waverace are the only 3 games I have finished, says it all.

Was a bit weird the way Nintendo dropped Rare and slated them, when the company produced some of their best games and some of the highest rated games in console history?

O

old.Hendrick

Yes. Rare made great games but they never really sold well. And given the amount of money Microsoft paid for Rare, I guess I would have sold them too.

P

Psy|:m00:

And anyway, Nintendo has Sega, Capcom and Squaresoft supporting them at the very minimum, losing Rare isn't an especially big deal right now ;)

Edit, Hendrick, Goldeneye for the N64 made more money than the film itself :p

O

old.Hendrick

Yes, but apart from Goldeneye the rest sold like crap, and Goldeneye was years ago now. Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day and the rest were, while highly acclaimed by critics, not very successful.

P

Well, true.

They should make more sequels, Originality seems to have gotten them nowhere :p

edit, oh wait they did :(

S

SFXman

Not sure if someone mentioned it yet but X-Box games are E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !
I mean me and my friends are completely shocked by their price. I mean 75 euros!??!

O

old.job

When Bill Gates showcased the X-box at the end of a Microsoft show, it blue-screened at boot up.

I REST MY CASE...:)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by SFXman
Get a better PC.

;)

It's mainly for my kids, you monkey...;)

And daddy does get a better PC!
Go me!

Thanks for the tip, Hendrick - will have a look at that page.

P

You could have a look at Play. I seem to find that cheap enough for most things i want, Not sure about the conversion rate of Euro's > Sterling though :mad:

O

old.Tohtori

Sicko buy ESPOX! It have great game Transworld Snowboarding! Me make part of that! Buy and give fame me! Good game! Go now go, buy ESPOX and Snowboarding!

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Snowboarding is dull....:eek:
*gives SFX a big smile*

O

old.Gombur Glodson

give them a GBA best sold console in the world ;)

O

old.Tohtori

But our game makes Snowboarding fun fun :p

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Uncle Sick(tm)
Snowboarding is dull....:eek:
*gives SFX a big smile*
mmbmrmrmlm... gibberish.. mumble grumble... grrmmmannbb....

R

Reverant Mezz

xbox are shit
ps2's are good but still loads of shit stuff out for it

just upgrade ur pc and play battlefield 1942 :)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Reverant Mezz
xbox are shit
ps2's are good but still loads of shit stuff out for it

just upgrade ur pc and play battlefield 1942 :)

It's_my_kids_you_thick_bastids!! :D

B

Belsameth

actually, if I where you I'd upgrade my PC and pray Doom 3 is out soon :p

B

boni_ofdavoid

Heya, I work in the games business and program all of the above consoles / machines. Heck Im writting the games your kids are gonna play next year right now :)

Heres TEH score

a). XBOX - Do not go near with a barge pole. Ill repeat that again, DO NOT GET ONE! , its yestedays PC in a box. Get your PC, paint it black and put a green X on the side itll be better. A lot of development houses are simply dropping XBox as a platform, it hasnt taken off and wont.

b). Gamecube - Very good buy, lots of fun games. If you really are looking for a game for the kids get this. Nintendo games tend to be more approriate,fun and polished for children.

c). PS2 - The PS2 is the machine. It has won the console wars full stop. If you buy a PS2 then you wont be making a bad choice at all.

d). PC - err not a kids toy, but if you were thinking of getting an XBox then this would be a better option.

Oh, and anyone out there who thinks the XBox is good should really pickup the PS2 hardware manuals and take a good read :)

O

old.tRoG

xbox is like a turd with a big green X painted on the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom