WWCL stuff, & HLTV

E

ECA

I'd like to see the net settings allowed to be flexible, ie cl_rate/cl_updaterate/cl_cmdrate - some WWCL configs change these, and its very frustrating.

Also cl_bob I would like to see allowed.

Personally I find bob an annoyance, and would rather have it off, after having played with it off in almost all games I've ever played.

I dont think it offers any advantage, and hence I dont see why it should be locked.

Also, can we run HLTV, In the rules it says an admin can, but I'd like a HLTV of every game, not just when the admin can be bothered. :-]

I also think that the days of cheats in CS are numbered in so far as wallhacks are concerned.

Those familiar with what the new VAC does should understand why, and I hope this leads to better close games all round :-]

J

Johnny Bravo

Originally posted by ECA
Also cl_bob I would like to see allowed.

Personally I find bob an annoyance, and would rather have it off, after having played with it off in almost all games I've ever played.

I dont think it offers any advantage, and hence I dont see why it should be locked.

Also, can we run HLTV, In the rules it says an admin can, but I'd like a HLTV of every game, not just when the admin can be bothered. :-]

All fair comments, and I used to play with cl_bob 0 for a long time, until I realised what it really did and the small advantage that it gave and switched it back.

Whilst stopping the gun bounce animation, cl_bob 0 also adjusts you field of veiw so that it is slightly higher (ie locks it at the top of the bounce). What this does in certain situations is allow you to see over some boxes/crates that you would not normally be able see over. You can easily test this yourself on Aztec:

As Terrorist running from your spawn towards the double doors, there is a crate on your right next to the small wall. Jump on the wall and crouch down behind the crate looking at the double doors. If you have cl_bob 1 then you will not be able to see over the crate nor see any CT that ventures inside the doors. Pull down your console and type cl_bob 0, magically your veiw changes so you can now see a little higher and see anyone that comes through those doors :)

R

RogueOne

Fair enough points, so I'll try to give some replies.

Johnny Bravo pretty much sums up the situation with bob. I'm currently leaning towards locking it, but I'm still willing to hear arguments on this matter.

HLTV *will* be run for all matches next season. We should be getting some nice, new dedicated HLTV servers, which will give us 100% demo coverage and maybe even let us offer a lot more in the way of spectator access.

I agree that traditional cheating is perhaps something of a dying art in CS. For this reason (and because it's largely obsolete now) I suspect we won't be running HLGuard, but will rather be letting VAC do all the work on that front.

E

ECA

More arguments for not locking cl_bob :-]

Maybe it does give a slight height advantage, I was unaware of that, BUT its nothing you cant do by pressing crouch and releasing before your fully down which lets you get much more height - what a lot of snipers use on aztec.

I'd argue that this was more prevalent than people using cl_bob 0 deliberately to gain that advantage.

More to the point, if it IS locked, your going to affect all the players that play without it, as switching from cl_bob 0 to cl_bob 1 really does affect you, if your used to it without.

I've been playing without bob since the days of Quake, and playing with cl_bob 1 on really throws my game.

There are also disadvantages to having cl_bob 0, as you mention it locks the player at the top of the bob, if your at a height somewhere, your going to be at a disadvantage to the people who are not using cl_bob 0, who are shooting at you from down below.

You would also be at a disadvantage whilst shooting up from the water on aztec, or any similar situation.

Its variable because imho the disadvantages and advantages even out, and its just down to personal preference.

I only got three hours sleep last night, so if that wasnt coherent, sue me :p

H

Hotteh

i actually have to turn off bob else i get motion sickness :|

M

MrChumble

Same here - I've played with bob off in every game that allows it, and the ones that don't I get annoyed with very quickly. It's like playing and being on a rollercoaster at the same time, makes me feel queazy. :puke:

That aside, my other main reason for not wanting it locked is simply that there's nothing stopping anyone from turning it off themselves. I've yet to meet someone who gets ill from not wobbling all over the place.

A

andersschm

I think joystick should be an unlocked setting as I am incapable of using a mouse to play CS.

N

nordle

cl_godmode 1

i would also like to see cl_bob changed to 0, as this can be a disadvantage to a team who maybe possibly have cl_bob 1 while the other team doesnt, and we start getting comments such as wallhacker etc you know the score :/

With it locked on cl_bob 0 everyones is the same and everyones is happy :)

Also take WWCL off as it ruins my config that has been set for my graphics card. This also reminds me, i am having trouble with my graphics card with my brightness (really dark) and i have tried everything but still nothing!! Please help

Laaaaate

` console
cl_godmode 1
:D

R

RogueOne

OK... this cl_bob issue is going to run and run unless we stomp it, so I'm going to put forward the 3 options on it now and see which is most popular:

a) WWCL locks cl_bob 1. Everybody plays with cl_bob on. Some people get motionsickness, but nobody has an advantage.

b) No WWCL locking for cl_bob. You can use what you want, but some people can get an advantage from this setting.

c) WWCL locks cl_bob 0. Nobody has bob on. Some people may need to adjust, but as with a), nobody gets an advantage.

Personally, I much prefer a) and c) to b), but I'll go with the majority verdict on this.

E

ECA

As I've pointed out, cl_bob can be a disadvantage as well, for eg.

clbobeg.jpg

If you look at the image, green is with cl_bob 1, red is with cl_bob 0.

Because your locked at the top of the bobcycle, if your higher than an opponent, your angle of attack is lessened as it were, so your enemy may be able to see you, but you cant see them.

This is the same if your at a height disadvantage, as this picture shows.

clbobeg2.jpg

Seeing as aztec isnt in the map cycle, could someone please post comparitive screenshots where cl_bob 0 is actually an ADVANTAGE on a map, instead of the disadvantage I've just shown it to be.

I vote for b, as its down to personal preference, I dont think locking it either way solves anything, if you use a) your going to irritate all those who use bob 0, if you use c) your going to do the opposite and piss off those who use bob 1.

I dont think it provides a true advantage or disadvantage thats noteworthy, the difference is neglible either way imho.

There are very few places where cl_bob 0 gives an advantage on any of the map cycle maps imho, and an inherent disadvantage in any variable height situation.

I take the disadvantage willingly, because I think bob 1 is simply highly irritating.

Some people disabled dynamic crossheirs because they dont like HUD motion, so god knows what locked cl_bob would do to them.

J

Johnny Bravo

Well I would be happy to see it locked one way or another, there are far more instances of being able to see over objects than not being able to see under them, that to leave it unlocked would offer an advantage to those with it off over those with it on.

There are numerous examples I can think of in the maps that will be played, but I will give you this link which has comparison images from all the official maps.

http://users.skynet.be/comet/liege/bob/index-en.html

Its also well worth a read to get a full understanding of what exactly this cvar does, if you wasn't fully aware at this point. The conclusion from the fella that wrote that article is that it is locked off. As I said I am happy either way as long as it is locked, but people need to be aware that if it is locked off, that whilst you can see over certain blocks/walls etc, you point of fire doesnt change and if you have a lower grade gun your bullets will not hit the target as they will be blocked by the wall.

E

ECA

In case some people only read half of it, Read what he ACTUALLY says.

and I quote.

"cl_bobcycle 0" must be the rule !
After some additional tests, my opinion changed completely. "cl_bobcycle 0" does not give an unfair advantage, it is the default value, "cl_bobcycle 0.800" which gives an unfair disadvantage.

Most realistic is the sight obtained with the bob disabled. The head of the player is far up the obstacles and there is thus no reason so that it does not see over. With the default value, it is believed hidden but nevertheless will take a headshot.

The images speak themself.

End Quote.

The bloke does an about turn and comes out in favour of switching bob off.

Users who are viewing this thread