News WW2 bomb in Germany kills 3

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Bloody tragic that people are still dying from this shit nearly 70 years on.

BBC News - World War II bomb kills three in Germany

Please, please, no fucked up shit like football scores to tally the dead, they deserve better.

Back on topic, was kind of amazed to hear that dozens of these bombs are still being found in Germany every year. I suppose 100,000's of the bloody things were dropped though, just suprised that so many remain unearthed considering much of Germany was rebuilt, knocked down and rebuilt again in the last 70 years.

soze

I am a FH squatter
My old history teacher used to say there are probably still thousands in London as well and a lot of places were built over after the war. They are not really a problem until building works or something disturbs them.

I also remember something about a fishing boat catching one in its nets. With all the planes that went down imagine how many could be in the channel.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The amount of bombs dropped is quite remarkable, we're lucky if we only get one explosion a year.

Not to mention, it's been 70 years and still there's new bombs dropping.

Imagine an article in the New Middle East Weekly, by John Mahatma, in the year 2110 reporting how a buried bomb from our time killed 3.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Not just in Germany. Holland is littered with WWII bombs aswell. If you have a look at France and Belgium you can add the WWI bombs on top of those.

And indeed Toht.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Ya its like a horrible legacy, they unearthed a grenade at building works near me (what was a live grenade doing in the middle of Edinburgh?).

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/Second-World-War-grenade-discovered.6304464.jp

As cHodAX said, these things are being found all the time, also makes you wonder how much of the munitions left in sucken submarines and ships are still active, but becoming even more dangerous as the salt water eats away at them.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
About 15 yrs ago the next door neighbour asks me if the door stop he was using
to keep his garage door open might be something interesting cos he saw I was into repairing things.
So I scrapped off the earth and it looked very much like a shell with some extra gubbins attached, so he rang the police and 15 mins later the area was corndened off with coppers and two bomb disposal guys in blast suits carried it off in a huge box of sand.
Turns out it was an ack-ack shell and there used to be a gun on the corner of our road in the war, they detonated it at the local army base, I didn't go but the neighbour said it blew a hole 5ft across in the ground and the disposal guys said it would have taken out half his house.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Ya its like a horrible legacy, they unearthed a grenade at building works near me (what was a live grenade doing in the middle of Edinburgh?).

I have never seen it but my Granddad on my Fathers side who i never met bought his WW2 rifle home as a souvenir i suppose the grenade could have come back in that sort of way.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
They caught a mine in the baltic not so long ago. quite alot of them still under the surface.

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
What would be scary is that if some how a nuclear bomb 150+ years later got disturbed :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
What would be scary is that if some how a nuclear bomb 150+ years later got disturbed :)

I read a conspiracy theory that the tsunami a few years ago was caused by a Soviet Nuclear submarine going big bada boom near a fault line.

I would like to hope that all nukes are accounted for or that could be one hell of an accident a guy finds an old suitcase and ouch.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Roads closed in Camber Sands, practically the same day, when a WWII bomb found while digging an underground car park. Read that because of their age these things are now much more unstable than they were, hence the deaths of the disposal experts. My grandad used to have half of one in his back garden as a plant pot; the fin bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom