wtf is up with the barrsys q2 servers recetnly?

S

[SMEG]Kryten

^ as above!
i mean, the barrys dm1 server is up and down like kangaroos in the mating season! gets a bit annying when your doing quite well then BAM all goes haywire
if it aint the server then its the bw dialup
frown.gif
i dunno wassup with it - any help would be appreciated as usual.

------------------
[SMEG]Kryten
nickspc@hotmail.com
http://www.bigwig.net/dwarfers

S

Stu

Don't have a clue , but lets all contribute loadsa cash and then ... I reckon your entitled to moan .
Ok the servers / dial up may not be too good atm but remember ... the dial up is free and the servers are , in my experience , the best I play on .

Oh and sorry dont know why
smile.gif

Stu

S

Stu

I say not , cos you'd still have to pay the telephone bill if it were a different Dial-up .

wink.gif

M

Mr B

I say moan a little.

If there is a problem I'm sure the BW people would want to know about it.

S

[SMEG]Kryten

i wouldnt say moan ... just let them know that there may be a slight hitch somewhere
personally i think its called microsoft but then again i think thats no hitch - thats just a general fuckup
wink.gif

M

mookie

I dont think its the dialup....

one bad server was (its a lot better now) the freezetag server.. it would crash like every 20 mins, anddd would drop back to DM1 and i was getting pretty sick of it.. dunno what they did to make it better but it worked
smile.gif

and another thing.. give the BW lads a chance.. its not like they get payed for this or anything. they could just give up, and then you'd have no cool messageboard, no cool free dialup, no good servers....

T

{tfc}ted

I think people are losing the plot here. Whilst i agree that when you get something free you have not got the right to moan, it must be understood that all ISP's, as im aware (kill me if im wrong), get 1p per connection.
So there is a valid reason to moan, but that is not the point of this reply. |Those that know TTD or DB's will know that they appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE critisism, and anything that they can do to improve the service, so by all mean moan BUT dont just go on and say what the fuck is this supposed to be as you may find they will ignore your requests
smile.gif

------------------
{TFC} TED
www.barrysworld.com/tfc

I

Imprezzed

Well, correct me if im wrong, but they actually get about 30% of the phone call ie about 0.3p/min at w/e

M

mookie

yeah but that money doesnt go to giving DBs and co a wage does it? i'm assuming that money goes towards server supplies and such.

G

[GA] KillmachinE

Right, i want to know what the score is here.

Im not being mean or anything, im being realistic, people are talking like there's a bunch of guys that have connected there computers to the net, brought a bunch of phone lines from BT and formed a huge ISP all from home.

These people aren't stupid, they don't do this for free, they must get some kind of payback from it all. Think about it, there not a couple of kids, these are people with families, who go to work every day, do the weekly shopping and everything else that people do, so come on Barrysworld crew, what is the score.

And please, i dont want to see a ton of posts bitching at me, im not being a total prick, just want to find out, and unless your a kid, you'll most likely agree with what i've said anyway.

Lets find out, once and for all
smile.gif

------------------
[GA] KillmachinE
extreme@barrysworld.com

G

Gadget

Erm, if I had to opportunity to run one of the largest and most used internet gaming services in the uk in my spare time (yet not make any money out of it) I would.

I'd imagine they do it because it's fun and gives them a warm feeling in their tummies each night.

You're too much of a cynic m8.

------------------
[LCA].Gadget
gadget@chimpy.com

R

Reubs

ok, more transparency asked for
smile.gif
- I'm sure we've talked this through before, but for the record here goes...

BarrysWorld currently has two sources of revenue

a) Call minutes - This pays our bills with BN, hosting, bandwidth etc. We don't make anything on this.

b) Banner Advertising - as the more observant of you might have noticed, today saw new banner code arrive on the main site, once our supplier sells this banner space we will start to see some revenue, the intention is to plough this into badly needed hardware.

its really that simple folks, who knows what the future holds, with the uncertainty over 0800 we really have to wait and see, but we're all having a hell of a time running this and we're gonna keep it going the best way we can.

Reubs

T

TedTheDog

Yup, Level3 get the main source of income and it goes to paying our bills.
Barrysworld has no income currently.

I get a leased line (64k) out of this.
I also get to part own a company that has a future and one day, I'll get something more out of it.
I've been doing this for 2 years now and so far I, personally, am down about £20k.
Thats not from buying stuff etc, its from loss of earnings (I dont have time to do the overtime and callout for my real job anymore).

So, I get very little for it currently (the leased line if probably worth 5k?) but I hope to one day. I've been hoping for over a year now but I think it will happen.

With regards to the original point, something seems to be overloaded somewhere and our peaks are a little choppy.
Also, some of the servers are unreliable. Much of this is down to the mod in question. I know it erks, but just how many of you write to the mod authors when your fave server crashes so much?

We have a lot of work to do over the next couple of weeks to try and restore our old shiny and sexy service. We'll do our best with what we've got.
I hope it helps morale to know that we acknowledge theres problems and we'll fix anything we can.

Ted

R

Rumpy

Ted, Reubs knows me fairly well (we work at the same place) if you need a hand with stuff lemme know
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom