WoW's long term appeal?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
With so many great new games coming on the market in the next few months and WoW's reported lack of content for those at lvl 60, semi-developed pvp and apparent lack of roleplaying stimulai, does this game have longevity, or is it doomed to lose players at a monolithic rate leaving servers half empty?

Have Blizzard missed the mark with this game in not understanding the long-term appeal necessary for a persistent online game to succeed? Or are their plans for PvP development (amongst others) sufficient to see the game thrive, making it the most continually subscribed mmog in the world (unless it already is) and hence the greatest mmorpg ever (long-term)?

Flame free please :)

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
blizzard have put together the only good mmorpg to be released since uo, and i think it will be a long long time till something else decent comes out.

wow pvp is king of all atm in the sense that tactics and skill come into it more than anything since uo, too

pvp battlegrounds are being implemented, but i wouldnt say pvp is semi finished, i like to pvp in games for the fun of pvp, in wow i can do this anytime.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
not 100% sure what youre after but im definetly sure that WoW hasnt got the same pulling power that DAoC had, at least for me.

i find that this is due to several things:

1. friends all spread out all over the place
2. no tight community like in DAoC (at least, i felt i knew alot of people on prydwen and i felt they knew me :p )
3. after my DAoC experience i dont want to get caught in the same trap again (the "oh go on then another hour or two wont hurt my revision... ;) )
4. PvP pain, ive recently moved to a normal server after gettin frustrated by "casual" ganking, its not like i was a threat or even a challenge they simply killed me because they could (or maybe because i was cuter than them)

thus i dont find myself playing WoW nearly as much as i did the first few days and weeks, but thats not going to stop me from keeping my account active (whereas the fact that i hardly played made me quit DAoC altogether) as i think its alot of fun even if you can only play every now and then

Lubbock

Fledgling Freddie
yup thats whats great with WoW its very casual, in DaoC you had to play almost constantly to keep up and that made me dislike DaoC yet still played for lack of alternatives, not i got n alternative so DaoC is in the trashbin :)

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
WoW doesnt have the same kind of pull DAoC or UO had for me.. the pvp seems simple... easy.

not sure bout the longevity, though the games still fun atm. ask me again in 3 months.

Stekkerdoos

Fledgling Freddie
I'm still having fun playing WoW, tho I'm not 60 yet. I'm taking my time and absolutely don't feel the need to be 60 asap.

About the PvP content. We will have the honor system soon, the battle grounds will be implemented and don't forget contested area capture points.

Other high level content will be more instances and of course the hero levels/classes.

The game just wasn't finished when it was released (not aiming at bugs etc), I'm afraid this will lead to leaving customers that have reached level 60 and are getting bored already.
From what I have heard Blizzard was pushed by .. vivendi (?) to release WoW.
Knowing Blizzard they would have probably delayed the game a lot more, which wouldn't be to bad if you consider the lack of high-end contend at the moment.

I think the early release is also noticable in customer support. I think Blizzard didnt have enough time to organize everything properly and to hire enough/qualified people.

I think it will all be better in time, at the moment I'm enjoying leveling my dwarf hunter, 41 and counting :D

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Still enjoying PvE content myself, but then I am on a normal server.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Ormorof said:
2. no tight community like in DAoC (at least, i felt i knew alot of people on prydwen and i felt they knew me :p )
And you felt that in the first 2 months playing Daoc then?

I'm still enjoying WoW a lot, and will probably do so even more once Battlegrounds get released. (more and more are running around with PvP flags on as well)

CplCarrot

Fledgling Freddie
Ormorof said:
not 100% sure what youre after but im definetly sure that WoW hasnt got the same pulling power that DAoC had, at least for me.

i find that this is due to several things:

1. friends all spread out all over the place
3. after my DAoC experience i dont want to get caught in the same trap again (the "oh go on then another hour or two wont hurt my revision... ;) )
4. PvP pain, ive recently moved to a normal server after gettin frustrated by "casual" ganking, its not like i was a threat or even a challenge they simply killed me because they could (or maybe because i was cuter than them)

thus i dont find myself playing WoW nearly as much as i did the first few days and weeks, but thats not going to stop me from keeping my account active (whereas the fact that i hardly played made me quit DAoC altogether) as i think its alot of fun even if you can only play every now and then

I find comments like this a little surprising (no offence intended).

I played DAOC at exactly the same stage of "life" as WOW from beta to early live and DAOC had none of the above either - friends would be spread out if you dont all pick the same server - there was little community.

Think what WOW has at this stage that DAOC hadnt, such as a useful crafting engine that wasnt so bugged it was impracticle due to cost - a mail system in game and 90% itemised areas (slithius is finally itemised I noticed) - I remember DAOC (for anyone that plays, north of catacombs) having no or few mobs in the level 40-50 areas except for a bunch of trees that didnt drop anything.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
hmmm. all i can really say is just from reading about the BGs on the site and all teh things u can do. i am going nowhere.
only 50 atm and i would like to get to 60 soon and do some high end instances/raids but i have slowed down alot since i hit 40. getting my mount was my real milestone. since then i have been playing alts alot more.
if just to try them out or to so i can play at the same lvl as other friends.
wow is more about having fun with my mates than anything. as was daoc.
just yesterday infact i took part in a raid to kill some dragon in horde land. only to find out unfortunatly it had been killed by the horde the previous day. (bastids) so instead we went and killed some dragon in blasted lands which was fun. it even energized me into wanting to lvl some more.
My only problem with WoW so far seems to be my luck on drops in instances.
I have now farmed ZF for a pair of the nice jumanza glove drops 7times without them dropping once or some lil mage bastid after telling me i could have them rolling on them and winning them.... i am now thoroughly(sp?) sick of ZF and given up on it.
I have also farmed Maraudon just on boss runs 8times in a row. (this isnt including the 2or3times i did it for quests to start with) because i would quite like the charred dirk to go with my could stone. or the princess kneck/head piece. alas but once has any of them dropped for me and each time som1 else got the roll for them.
after this i am pretty sick of playing my 50.
now i know i dont NEED these drops. as i could buy things on AH wit stats good enough. but my problem being that most stuff on the AH is really overpriced at times and i just dont feel the need to give these greedy forks my money. esp when im lending most of my budding guildies about 30-40g to afford mounts when they smack 40 which does take them time to pay me back.
think i should add a note here im not whining about WoW im whining about my luck :p
but after all this. i wont leave wow because i know its just a minor set back if a rather frustrating 1. i play my alts abit, calm down have some fun then go back to my 50 and play a little more.

also another last note. having high lvl friends comes in so useful in the game. and fun to :p if any priests out there are having a hard time getting money or grinding. find a mage higher than u. im lucky enough to have a lvl 57friend who i do this with. we find some nice lvl 53ish mobs. i shield him he runs into about 10-15 of them i spam heals and he spams his aoe spell. its a nice way of getting me xp and getting us both money. make about 50s each per run. and the mage being able to conjour water and food leaves little downtime between this. i encourage people to do this as i find it extremely funny (maybe im just weird) but seeing a load of mobs trying to hit some 1 then all dieing really makes me chuckle.
also reminds me of AC in daoc... heh wht can i say. im a power pulling freak :(

Aada

Part of the furniture
As someone said WoW is the best mmo to come by since UO, DAOC was great it was awsome but they ruined it with ToA. You can't be a casual player in Daoc either, in wow you can leave your character in the Inn and go to work, come back and you gain xp faster it's such a great system imo.

PvP will be great when the honor system is in but as someone said its still pretty good now.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
To be fair to daoc we dont really know yet how much time it will take in wow to take effective part of the pvp endgame - some people will farm the highlevel instances 100+ times until they have the most ubergear they can get in the hopes of wtfpwning everyone, and this is similar to a fully ToA's character in daoc imo (and probably takes even more time to acheive). What we dont know is how much of an advantage a fully itemized character will have over one that has alil worse equipment.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Vesuvius said:
WoW doesnt have the same kind of pull DAoC or UO had for me.. the pvp seems simple... easy.

...Fun

At this stage in the life of WoW, PvP is fun. Tactics and clever play will win out as no one yet has got really "uber" equipment or any silly "and win" abilities like DAoC has with its RAs.

You can try something clever in WoW and it might just work, as opposed to DAoC, where you try something clever and 8 SBs jump you at once.

Plus, as had already been said, the rested xp system really doesn benefit the casual player. I've not had much chance to play WoW this past week and so my rested xp has rocketed up. As a result, in the few hours play I have had, I've breezed through lvl 57 and am now half way to lvl 58, thanks to a good mix of quests and raids.

CplCarrot

Fledgling Freddie
I'd agree more with sandraks view here that it wasnt TOA that ruined DAOC, but realm abilities that came much earlier.

Will wow do the same - well who knows , personally I think all MMORPGs are destined to go the same way, as its the nature of them.

In 2 years time WoW will need to offer the "Carrot and stick" of the same type of "win" items and abilities in order to keep the veterans happy.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Nah, problem wasnt RA-s... much more the way they have been implented.
I do think you need some kind of a reward to go after, even if you are having fun while doing so... need a goal to achieve. Unique titles after each rr in daoc was a great idea, if you could only bought RA-s on each realm ding it would have been cool (and nothing like baod, grp-porge, sos and shitlike that, more like augments, self-only purge, 10% crit chance etc...) I dont think a veteran player who played x years should be on the same level as a newcomer, but ofc the gap shouldnt be that wide as it is in daoc..

mts

Fledgling Freddie
i've been 60 for a good while now and only done raids at high-level instances to get high-end gear.. my pvp has been practically zilch the past few weeks and i've been having "fun" tbh.. raiding with some very nice ppl (valfar & amazing randy peeps) and hasnt been the total drag that ToA pve was for me in daoc.

when honor is in next patch pvp is gonna fucking skyrocket and i imagine things will get interesting very fast ^^ (atleast on ravencrest) there's been alot of thrashtalking between some guilds and when we can finally see some numbers stuff can get proven.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Whisperess said:
And you felt that in the first 2 months playing Daoc then?

I'm still enjoying WoW a lot, and will probably do so even more once Battlegrounds get released. (more and more are running around with PvP flags on as well)

yes i did as i was in a Danish Huscarls, so plenty of people to chat to and got to know alot of people very quickly, also you were grouped with pretty much the same people for weeks and weeks because they were all on the same level as you (though because i was slower than most i ended up grouping with half of midgard :p )

at the time midgard was kinda split pretty neatly in 3... one third was in eye of odin, the 2nd third was in danish huscarls and all the rest were in much smaller guilds :p

but i play WoW now in a completely different way (ie much much more casually) so i suppose that has left me abit more out of touch with a lot of people that i could potentially have met

im also a victim of the solo mentality i have to admit... i used to solo alot in daoc (well, after i got my first 50 anyway)because it was easier than getting a group to do it (xp), i ended up with a buff bot because it helped me solo, now i dont need a buffbot to solo and i love it ;)

though i quite enjoy grouping i find random groups terribly frustrating and so tend to try and stick with people i know (guild, people ive grouped with before etc)

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
Vesuvius said:

not sure bout the longevity, though the games still fun atm. ask me again in 3 months.

wow pvp is less simple than daoc, daoc really was ZERO skill, absolutely nothing, no timing, decisions that a 5 year old could make

top frost mage vs top rogue, there you see a HIGHLY technical matchup

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
With regards to community, I came over to WoW with friends from DAoC and from elsewhere online who I've known over the years, so I started with WoW with a built in community.

Its starting to come together now on the server I play on. We're making connections with the other guilds, regular team-ups are starting to happen and faces are getting known. Its early days yet, but the community is beginning to solidify.

I'm watching this happen from afar so to speak, as I am a miserable anti-social, muppet fearing, sod. ;)

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
dont get me wrong, i like the game... alot.. since it released i've played mage to 60 and now playing priest(currently 33).

i think my main issue is when i came to the game i came with my guild from daoc.. people i know are good players.. since i had this i'm not likely to enter random groups.. (since with random groups.. comes failure, arguements, loot ninjas etc) and because of this i aint making new friends the way i did in previous mmporgs.

when you think about 60 content.. it has pretty much everything DAoC had:
by the end atleast.
Epic encounters (ML dungeons/Strat/Scholo/MC)
pvp.. available but not finished.... niether was DAoC when it started..(didnt even get a death message when you killed someone.)

the only problem i have with the pvp is i usually know the outcome of a fight before it happens... if i see a priest.. i'm probably dead(mage point of view btw)
hunter.. i win.
rogue 70/30 i win
paladin.. i win.. 10 mins later
and so on

plus usually the only classes that actually try to solo my mage are rogues and priests.. i'm more a self defence kinda player.. i rarely actually KoS

until battlegrounds i cant comment on group pvp.. currently its pointless.
when grouped in rvr on pvp server.. all your doing is ganking solo'rs or duo'rs.. its so rare to find another group out for pvp.. so until then pvp isnt gripping the way daoc (eventually) was.

had more to say but m8s just arrived ;) i'll add something later

nick

Fledgling Freddie
Done most of the high end raiding now (killed onyxia twice, finished most of MC) and I am still enjoying WOW a lot. It's not the type of addiction you got from DAOC with RVR, but I'm sure when they add the honour system that buzz will return.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
To be fair to daoc we dont really know yet how much time it will take in wow to take effective part of the pvp endgame - some people will farm the highlevel instances 100+ times until they have the most ubergear they can get in the hopes of wtfpwning everyone, and this is similar to a fully ToA's character in daoc imo (and probably takes even more time to acheive). What we dont know is how much of an advantage a fully itemized character will have over one that has alil worse equipment.
WoW awarding PvP rewards will definitely help with this. It gives you two ways to be uber equipped - PvE or PvP. I think it's a great idea, it means PvPers aren't forced to grind a lot of PvE just to get gear, while also offering nice rewards for those who do like PvE.

Ralgedi Smurf

One of Freddy's beloved
You have to keep in mind that wow is still pretty new, Think about daoc when it was released it had far less content the wow have at this stage, there was no high lvl content at all. Was still a great game tho :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
ok. to all of u thats complaining that WoW doesent have anything to do when u hit lvl 60. yes thats true, there isnt a awful lot to do once u hit 60. but to compare that to DAoC (thats almost 4 years old) isnt fair. DAoC didnt have ANYTHING once u went over 40 when that game was released. yes the mobs were there. but 80% of them didnt even have any loot table. and those that DID have one didnt drop anything that anyone could have any use for. no armor drops. no weapon drops. WoW is WAY more finnished then DAoC ever was when that went gold. i mean, atleast u can find magic stuff thats usable all the way up to max level.. that never was the case with DAoC at the start...

so please stop comparing a half a year old game with a 4 year old game (for any reason) because it doesent proove anything :)

now im gonna go back to leveling my heretic as WoW wont run more then 30 minutes tops before my PC locks up completly (and thats fking impressive concidering im running windows XP)..

SilverHood

FH is my second home
One thing I really dislike about WoW was the way they announced servers at launch. Or didn't do. It's caused so much grief for for those playing on unofficial language servers, and peeps I knew from DAOC are all over the place.

As someone else said, I hardly ever group with randoms. It's just too much of a waste of time when doing instances, and too much hassle.
When I was lower, I'd explain how people should do their jobs, and some listened. Some didn't. I really don't want to tell a lvl 58 warrior how to tank in Blackrock Depths. I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't have to tell rogues / mages / hunters to attack the mob the warrior is attacking. I still have to in random groups. At all levels.

I've played with pretty much the same peeps since EU beta til now, and we've done every instance that didn't need you to be lvl 60, and apart from BRD, no real trouble. Then I group with a bunch of randoms with no clue to how group mechanics work, and I want to slam my fist down hard with frustration.
*That* is what DAOC has over WoW. When I was lvl 30 in DAOC, every single person I grouped with new how to play in a group. You'd been grouping since level 10. A few rough rides, but nothing *near* the assnine idoicy I see in random groups in WoW.

At the end of the day, ignorance can be cured. Stupidity cannot. And there's an awful lot of stupid people playing WoW.
Atleast the servers I play on.

I see myself playing WoW longer than I did DAOC, if only because my Thane was so not fun to play, and my priest is (most of the time).

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
i think the difference for me when daoc started was that it was a completely new kind of game to me. considerable difference between UO and DAoC

i didnt play beta for DAoC so when i started i was totally new, or 'n00b' ;)
it also took me a hell of a long time to get 50.. cos of rerolls server changes and deciding my first 50 would be a ranger. which.. in the day.. wasnt the fastest char to lvl or easiest to get groups.

while in WoW.. because i played through US/EU open betas i knew what to do.. this lead to being 60 real fast.. also like i said before... i only really group with guildies.. and since very few guildies had made it to 60 by the time i had i was left with raids/groups with people i didnt know.

and that is boring :)
i'm sure things will improve for me once my guilds all 60 and we can start raiding the high end instances.

plus roll on battlegrounds

i think for anyone completely new to mmporgs, WoW is incredible. and offers more than most others i've known. For the more experienced.. its just waiting for the the components we're really interested in. but like the 2 posts up said... cant expect to much 2 months after realease.

Dommers

Fledgling Freddie
Silverhood, I agree that there are a lot of idiots playing WoW. But the games only just come out. Most of people you group with in DAoC had high level friends who showed them how to play, or they were just alts.

Ceryseth

Fledgling Freddie
At the start i found WoW extremly fun and way better then daoc but after little less then a month i just got...bored for some reason.
I had crafting up with no effort at all, leveling was easy and found myself with a pvp system that i didnt enjoy at all.
I guess i just prefer the daoc pvp system when u will never be fighting the same class as you, apart from having no reward at all yet.
Ive just reformated my computer and have no intent of reintaliing or paying another month.

I would have never thought of this happening to me pre-release or even during the first month of gameplay but its just not appealing to me on the longterm for some reason.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
SilverHood said:
*That* is what DAOC has over WoW. When I was lvl 30 in DAOC, every single person I grouped with new how to play in a group. You'd been grouping since level 10. A few rough rides, but nothing *near* the assnine idoicy I see in random groups in WoW.
You must have got real lucky in daoc because I remember people doing stupid shit like that ALL the damn time in daoc. It was only because you literally couldn't level at a reasonable pace that meant you got reasonable groups at all - the idiots ended up levelling slower. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom