Wow, you think GOA is bad....

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Well, Sony are currently making Darth Vader proud. I read this on www.penny-arcade.com, apparently some sod on the Intrepid server of Star Wars Galaxies duped credits and spread them throughout the economy.

Naturally, Sony did not the cheater, but here comes the stormtrooper brutality. They banned every single person who had been given these duped credits, whether they knew they were duped or not.

In response the friends of the banned gathered for a mass demonstration in Theed on Naboo, and much like a droid army commiting genocide upon a village of hapless Gungans; Sony's response to the situation was this. At least GOA lets us whine at them, to an extent even encourages it.

Now, a little bit of roleplaying cropped up in the form of journalist Allehe. She started reporting on the protests until that is SOE 'censored' her. They kicked her from the server. In the mean time, lacking the prefered methods of tear gas and industrial powered fire hoses SOE dealt with the protesters by teleporting them to hostile areas and even into space. Allehe herself was warped all over the galaxy rather than allowing her to report the protest publically for people like us to find out about, any important people on the server she tried to interview were also teleported by the GMs if not kicked from the server entirely.

Unable to deter the characters they warped from coming back to Theed, SOE froze them all.

Perhaps becoming aware of the growing anger of the server population, SOE released (some) of the frozen characters and Allehe was even teleported back to Theed by a CSR. But only momentarily. SOE started teleporting people to unknown locations with ever increasing speed and decreasing discrimination.

As I understand it in the end SOE did go as far as shut down the server to stop the protest.

So who's happier with having GOA now? :p

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Only ever moaned at GoA once, when PvP server came out - as I couldnt connect, apart from that its not too bad :) In fact have to admit id rathe rplay on the UK servers that USA at the moment.

As for the SWG - would love to hear the story from SOE's point of view, these things can always be one sided, but sounds like they took a sledgehammer to kill an ant.

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Also, if you don't feel like reading;

20040825l.jpg

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
lol thats harsh.

GOA as server peeps are ok. Its only the lack of choice offered to English speaking customers and the occasional niggle with Right Now that has ever bothered me I think.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
talk about nasty.

If GOa did something like that , i would be having a great laugh ...

i'd only hope they would be me in DL or somewhere like that....

but theywould prob put peeps up in SF untill the server fell over :(

this is nto a go at GoA .. jsut a gues if things ever did get that warped.

SOE need a good kick in the soft tissue between the legs imo :twak:

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
If only I were rich so I could sue the living shit outta those companies...

Ppl cheat becuz its possible, and becuz its easier than to do boring stuff urself. They easy solution is banning them. The hard one is making the game better. Creators, like players, takes the easy way...

Farbaute2

Fledgling Freddie
but swg was a joke from start. i wish i could make a macro in rl and work a day while sleeping and then go get a car and a house for the money like in swg. those who made it made nice grafics for us with fast nice pcs but they had no experience with mmorpgs. swg is a great game, but a lousy mmorpg. they should have beta tested it a half year in europe with experienced players, after that they could have mmorpg monopoly for years easy.

i remember i played 2 weeks until i had all the best equipment and stuff, after that i got stuck with a bug and couldnt play anymore with my char. a gm with a leetkid-name tried to contact me in game once but it was a server chat error and i couldnt answer. money was taken from my bank account 4 months since it was auto renewed =P

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Hehe I remember all the multitude of OMGOMG I /QUIT SWG WILL OWN DAOC NEVER COMING BACK threads...most of whose posters were back here, tails between their legs, within a month. SWG has been a huge letdown.

The biggest problem I had with GOA was how totally useless their "customer support" was - i.e. there was none whatsoever - and they do seem to have improved that; when you use RightNow these days, you actually get responses. Only slightly behind that, though, was their bizarre failure/refusal to give us, the paying Euro players, the co-op server option that US players get; and that is sadly something GOA have still not done anything about, and it's a big fucking black mark on their record. We pay the same as US players, we should get the same choice as US players, it really is that simple.

That behaviour by SOE is well out of order though...I would imagine there'll be more than a few cancellations over it, and rightly so. Can you imagine the outcry on these boards if GOA did anything like that...? Just the fact that they banned players who had unknowingly accepted duped stuff shows they have no clue, right there.

Justicator

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
We pay the same as US players, we should get the same choice as US players, it really is that simple.

Afaik we pay more than the US players.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
Only slightly behind that, though, was their bizarre failure/refusal to give us, the paying Euro players, the co-op server option that US players get
How is it bizarre? There are many good reasons.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Justicator said:

We do? I don't know what the figures currently are for US subs vs. Euro subs, I'd always thought they pretty much kept pace with each other.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Thats bloody mad! Insane, mental, perverted....and so on!

I think this thread should become a sticky for anyone who says:

Svartmetall said:
OMGOMG I /QUIT SWG/WOW/DE/Barbies-workout WILL OWN DAOC NEVER COMING BACK

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
We pay the same as US players, we should get the same choice as US players, it really is that simple.
you pay a diffrent company, diffrent service simple as that.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
The tragic question is how many people are so hoplessly emotionally dependent of SWG that they won't quit because of this?

Bunnytwo

Fledgling Freddie
Always found GoA's customer service excellent.

SWG had good elements (some of which DAOC have now, such as the market search function (just wish you could see how many seals were on offer before legged it to the CM)), but the PvP element sucked badly, major disappointment.

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
I played SWG one month when it was released in US .. but realized that there was nothing else to do after you were master in something. And the PvP sucked. I played both DAoC and SWG at the same time.. and had no plans to quit DAoC.. was just curious how SWG would be.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Justicator said:

off topic , but are you Justinian's and Vindicator's Love child ?

i'd say i know who wears the trousers out of those 2 anyway ;p

Afuldan

Fledgling Freddie
The difference is this:

Mythic finds out about a bug/hack/exploit etc. and the people working there, who are in actuality people, get a good laugh out of what folks will do to get around putting in some hard work, and go about their task of waggling fingers and fixings the problem. Hell I've found a couple bugs myself, and when they peeps at mythic found out, they asked me what i did to find them. The guy who found the File deletion bug currently has an account that is free for life.

Where as Sony is a giant, cold, lifeless corporate being, devoid of any emotion, their employees think as Synapses in a gargantuan mind, bent on the oppression of any individual that might dare speak out.

People at Sony don't play your fucking game, and they don't give a shit about you. Mythic CSR's ALL play DAoC, I've talked to many of them, and most of em are happy to just sit and chat with you if you can coax em into it.
Son'y Tech Support is propably a giant machine, that is fueled by human flesh and the skulls of young puppies.

I refuse to play any game made by a huge multinational company, because the people who run the thing consider you less valuable than the shit they stepped in today. I played Dark Age when it had just been released, and I'm still playing it, simply due to the fact that Mythic may make mistakes, but at least they pretend to care.

Joxer

Fledgling Freddie
actually GOA has improved over the last couple of months (damn, never thought I would publically write that line).

First of all the GMs are far more present and active - or do you recall ever seeing a char on a /who 100 in the "old days"? I have been playing this game since the beta and before ToA went out I only encountered a GM once. Really nice to see that they are more present in this game.

As for the customer support: Its quite alright UNLESS YOU HAVE A BILLING ISSUE - then you would be screwed.
In my time i have filed four or five RightNow tickets over a billing issue and everytime it included a loooong wait - eventually the problem was fixed in the end though.

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
I was one of those I QUIT FOR SWG etc people - played it for about 2-3 weeks and quit - all sorts of reasons - laggy, pvp etc but above all just plain boring.

Customer service from Mythic is much better than GOA even now but yes it's getting better.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
[GOA]Erivoss said:
hmm we do things like that.... we just call them events ;)

Its times like this I wish I could buy ingame health insurance...

Kreig

One of Freddy's beloved
Svartmetall said:

No the difference is that GOA lease the rights to host the game from Mythic, thus having to pay them royalties. Thats why we pay greater subs, GOA obviously dont want to pay the royalties themsleves when they can get there customers to bare the brunt of this cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom