WoW beta has started!

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
I've read quite a few decent writeups now that the alpha NDA has been lifted, one quote excited me quite a lot though:

WoW is also not Dark Age of Camelot. This seems self-evident, but there were a lot of DAoC players in the alpha test who couldn't get over that the game is going to feature consensual Player Versus Player combat, and not full-on PVP or have PVP as its endgame. PVP may well factor into it, but there's no indication that the endgame won't be PVE – Player Versus Enemy. There's simply too many serious bad guys in the Warcraft universe that need a raid-sized hole stomped in their ass to think that Deathwing, Arthas and the Burning Legion won't be a factor – in fact, given the foreshadowing in levels 1-30, I can pretty much guarantee we'll be seeing them at some point.

hurrah :D

Sigurd

Banned
This is precisely why DAoC won't die when WoW comes out... if you want to kill monsters, play Neverwinter Nights...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Sigurd said:
This is precisely why DAoC won't die when WoW comes out... if you want to kill monsters, play Neverwinter Nights...

well with toa all people are doing is bashing monsters too :m00:

gifv WoW :D

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Thats just a normal server.

WoW will have FvF servers aswell.

So large scale pvp will be in WoW.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Thats been there for a while i've heard, before the beta, just look at the price.

Karam_Gruul

Banned
just a quick question.... are the graphics supposed to look that aweful? i thought everyone was raving about how the graphics will be revolutionary and all that, they're worse than UO!

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
I've seen a couple of the movies off the WoW site, looks a little less realistic than DAoC, more chunky... cartoony I might go as far to say - but then again people who whine about realism in a game with magic + monsters are idiots imo ;)

(and yeah, i'm talking about the ingame movies. Not the cinematic ones - if ingame graphics were like those... phoosshh, good or bad i'd play it just to drown myself in eye candy :D)

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Sigurd said:

NwN imo isnt a really good PvE game, its great for RPG. However it isnt a mmorpg, as the game isnt designed to be in a big world (so you wont have the feeling of omg those people killed the dragon, while you are just lvl 20).

Btw didnt the devs talk about PvP maps like daoc BG's?

WoW PvP
So unless they changed their plan since jan 2004, it seems that PvP hasnt been put fully into WoW yet.

If the part of pvp, explained in "so how does it work", gets added then WoW could take a chunk out of daoc's playerbase.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
WoW graphics are blizzards style, if you have played any Warcraft game, you would know.

If you think the graphics looks bad, wait till you play it, its amazing a screen shot can not capture WoW beauty.

WoW also have very low system specs, so it will be able to handle lots of people on screen at the same time, can't say that for many others mmorpgs can you?

A just happy that this once myth of WoW is now beta, just got to wait even longer bah :(

Sigurd

Banned
Realm VS Realm wars are the best thing about DAoC, and until another, better game comes up with the same sort of thing, I'll be staying put. PvP... well we all know how bad the PvP servers turned out to be...

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Sigurd said:
Realm VS Realm wars are the best thing about DAoC, and until another, better game comes up with the same sort of thing, I'll be staying put. PvP... well we all know how bad the PvP servers turned out to be...

If you had read the link I posted than you would have known that blizzard planned atleast to put in RvR (the stance might have changed as it wasnt in alpha allthough its unlikely as the statement was from jan 2004).

Btw RvR is a form of PvP, I used PvP here to talk about every form of PvP wow has. Which seems to be dueling, arena's and a form of RvR. Also as we dont really know what PvP will exactly be in WoW, I dont want to put to name it RvR yet as we dont know that yet. However it is PvP though.
Blizzard wont force people to play PvP, so servers like camlann and mordred might only exist if they are created as special rule servers. Allthough I doubt it will happen.

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
a friend of mine has access to this beta and i hate him for it :p

its not bloomin fair

although he does say that its smashin and he cant let me try it coz apparently it logs the ip u connect with due to a lot of trading

Carneus

Fledgling Freddie
Just to let you know, Microsoft are in talks with Blizzard to get WoW Xbox exclusive.

Will that affect anyone?

Retrakith

Banned
oblimov said:
a friend of mine has access to this beta and i hate him for it :p

its not bloomin fair

although he does say that its smashin and he cant let me try it coz apparently it logs the ip u connect with due to a lot of trading

play it at his house?

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
That quote was taken from a large post made by somebody who has been playing the alpha since November of last year. You can read the full thing here if you want to. Overall it gave me the impression that WoW has a balance of PvP/RvR (they are the same thing really, just varying the numbers involved) to PvE that would be more to my liking than DAoC was.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Carneus said:
Just to let you know, Microsoft are in talks with Blizzard to get WoW Xbox exclusive.

Will that affect anyone?

when they talk about exclusive, they mean exclusive for consoles.

Sigurd

Banned
Driwen said:
If you had read the link I posted than you would have known that blizzard planned atleast to put in RvR (the stance might have changed as it wasnt in alpha allthough its unlikely as the statement was from jan 2004).

Btw RvR is a form of PvP, I used PvP here to talk about every form of PvP wow has. Which seems to be dueling, arena's and a form of RvR. Also as we dont really know what PvP will exactly be in WoW, I dont want to put to name it RvR yet as we dont know that yet. However it is PvP though.
Blizzard wont force people to play PvP, so servers like camlann and mordred might only exist if they are created as special rule servers. Allthough I doubt it will happen.

Er, last I checked they planned a style of PvP that "might involve group-based elements" it's basically a lot closer to DAoC PvP server than RvR as we know it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Did anyone say "Who gives a crap about a fame riding MMO?"

No?

Ok.

Who gives a crap about a fame riding MMO? :p

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
from reading about the pvp aspects of this game im abit mystified fighting against npcs? fighting with them as well as players.. sounds abit like skirmish mode or bot mode... doesnt get me excited...

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
Who gives a crap about a fame riding MMO? :p

I do for one, I'd assume all the people playing the WoW beta do as well... lest we forget those who wanted to be in the beta but were rejected to being too mugly... Oh, and the various games reviewers... and the actual Blizzard staff... Urr.. who else... I guess Mythic/GOA do to a degree because it represents fresh (and potentially dangerous) competition, and I suppose that also applys to all other MMORPG gaming communities and companys.

So yeah, quite a lot of people :D

Rellik

Fledgling Freddie
just wanted to say i got the WoW beta :fluffle:
iam sooo l33t !!!11 :m00:

Taen

Fledgling Freddie
I have my doibts about this game .. i hope it doesnt let us down after all this w8ing

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
My guess is that GOA will set up a coop server to try to keep people on DAOC. There will be a strong competition between DAOC and WoW in Europe.

Healer McHeal

Fledgling Freddie
i dont think they have even set a euro release date yet, since there ironing out all the bugs etc in the beta's atm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom