WOW and Stat Gains

Darac

Fledgling Freddie
Fact: When levelling up in WOW you gain increases to stats at certain levels. The frequency of these stat increases and indeed the actual stat that is increased is based on your class. For example, a warrior might gain "Stamina" which increases hit points, while a mage will gain "Intellect" which increases their mana pool.

This for me is the norm and is not much different from other MMPORG's I have played. It's this next fact that got me!

Fact: Only attribute gains from items will affect total hit points and total mana.

I find this system to be a bit flawed especially as people are saying that attributes are capped at higher levels. This means Gnome warriors have the potential to have more hit points that Tauren warriors due to the fact that they can get more +stamina from gear before hitting the cap.

Anyway I though I would put this out here for discussion! It might effect what race you choose at retail if it stays as is. If it does stay as is I see no reason why charaters should gain attributes when they level.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=238206&P=1

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=273766&P=1

Funkybunny

Banned
the thing i love with wow is that you get full health when you ding.. was about to die on 3 mobs... took one down had 6% health left, ding full health and able to take down the other two aswell :p

Natsume sai

Fledgling Freddie
Darac said:
Fact: When levelling up in WOW you gain increases to stats at certain levels. The frequency of these stat increases and indeed the actual stat that is increased is based on your class. For example, a warrior might gain "Stamina" which increases hit points, while a mage will gain "Intellect" which increases their mana pool.

This for me is the norm and is not much different from other MMPORG's I have played. It's this next fact that got me!

Fact: Only attribute gains from items will affect total hit points and total mana.

I find this system to be a bit flawed especially as people are saying that attributes are capped at higher levels. This means Gnome warriors have the potential to have more hit points that Tauren warriors due to the fact that they can get more +stamina from gear before hitting the cap.

Anyway I though I would put this out here for discussion! It might effect what race you choose at retail if it stays as is. If it does stay as is I see no reason why charaters should gain attributes when they level.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=238206&P=1

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=273766&P=1

Agreed. thier system is a bit flawed on that point, i read the posts on thier forum the other day, and it is somthing that should really be looked into. it can't be right that a mage at max level can have the same hit points as a warrior at max.... but i atleast hope that this is a bug, thats going to be fixed with the next patch

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm not sure on this. I can see everyones point but perhaps they're focusing on the wrong thing entirely. Maybe Blizzards focus in difference between classes is the AF factors, or the defensive capabilities, i.e. a mage should have a much lower overall AF than a Warrior, and warriors get parry or what have you - so in theory they'll still last longer.

But like I said i'm not entirely sure on where I'd stand with this.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Tyren said:
This was the way the stats were intended to work. Your gear stats will provide higher than your base stats.

This is not a bug.

We are however, reexamining the issue.

thats hidden at page 18 of one of the linked threads. Tyren is a bliz mod I think or atleast an employee. Off course just that Blizzard is looking into it, doesnt mean something will happen.

I do think that choosen a higher sta race should mean you can get more hp though and that if warriors are meant to be meatshields that they should have more meat than other classes.

edit: Bullit but do warriors have better defence against magic than casters though? As if casters have better magical defence than casters are the better tanks there :p and the problem is also for alliance warriors as I am guessing that paladins can have around the same defence and now same/more hp and the ability to heal themself (meaning they are the better meatshield).

Nausilus^^

Can't get enough of FH
It's kinda the same in EQ.. I've seen casters with more hps than warriors, but they go down all the same if they have a boss mob whacking their head with a stick :)

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
Who said stats are capped? I have an enormous amount of stamina and not once I've ran into a lvl based stat cap. And when you level and get a stamina or intellect point your stamina max or mana goes up as well... I don't see what you are trying to proof... (And it's kinda obvious you gain stats from magic gear)

lewskie

Fledgling Freddie
this is one of the big whinges about warriors, they simple fact is like you said a mage can have the same hp as a warrior and imo this is wrong. how can we be meatshields for characters with the same hp as us, ok the AC will be hugelly in favour of the warrior but mages get funky shizzle like blink to get them out of h2h situations. Imho this needs to be looked into

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
That's fine imo. Warrior has his Armor and a mage/priest their ways of handling close combat. I still don't see what's the big fuss about. Cause I don't see any major advantage. (I'm really getting the idea you guys caught on the 1on1 situation that americans think is how to watch at balance...)

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
If mages can handle H2H then why have warriors? They cannot do anything ranged, as mages can.

Thus is seems highly unfair that the mages has as much HP as the warriors.

And that is the big fuss =p

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Roll a mage upto lvl 20 and go tank with it.

Be prepared for alot of spirit healer runs.

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
Warriors are there to hold aggro and use different stances. They are the tanks people want in groups cause no way I can keep healing 4 others if none of them know how to take aggro off me. You ever seen a warrior do an execute move? I've seen some who do over 1000+ damage... If you don't like playing a warrior why do you pick it then? Move on to some other class and try that (although I doubt you find something crap about it as well, cause some people never find rest and take what they got).

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
I did not say they could handle H2H, I just said that if they could, there would be no use for warriors.

Esena

Fledgling Freddie
also i love the fact when healing once , even it's a small heal i get agro

but when i say "agro" or "on me", the tanks/rest of the group don't seems to care, but when their health drops below 50% they whine about that i need to heal, i meen how the hell am i supposed to heal when i got like 3 elite mobs bashing on me :/

and when i got solo agro, the rest of the group is more likely to argue about the look that dropped then careing about the health/agro of the priest

once i joined some noob group, i died, and there was a mage left, the rest of the grouped whined to the mage, about him not healing them
worst part was that they where my guildy's :eek7:

hopes this changes during the EU retail cozz on the way it seems like this it's a lang way soloing :(

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
There will be lots of people playing that have never played a MMORPG before. Lots of them will be quite young ( 18- ) as well. If you almost die in a fight at any time due to an error on someone elses behalf (and they not seeming to realize this/care); just tell them in a calm voice what went wrong, why it went wrong (why it is wrong too) and how they can prevent it in the future.

You'll find that most people like learning how to play better, as long as they aren't getting shout at. Just be extremely certain that you know the solution before telling someone how to play (or rather, asking them). There's nothing worse than someone giving false recommendations.

Esena

Fledgling Freddie
believe me really told them , i said taunt em of me
and they ignored me, then on purpose made them close to die on about 5% hp left, they got scared, and finnaly got their attention.... for 5 min then they kept ignoreing me

:flame: on :eek:

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Esena said:
"taunt em of me"
Look at the above. Consider that they haven't played any mmorpg before, and that their English isn't the best. Same goes with "agro" or "on me". :)

Next time, try: "You have to make sure you keep the monsters from attacking me, otherwise I can not heal you and you might die." When it's an emergency, a good old "HELP!" usually work wonders :)

If they still will not listen, just leave them. There should be plenty of groups around :)

Esena

Fledgling Freddie
well wasn't longer then 30 min in the group before i gave up

it where dutch ppl, i was dutch, so could explain in my own lanq, just sux if ppl don't pay attenion at all :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom