Would you slot a WP in your 6v6 group?

Libh

Fledgling Freddie
Im just asking as Im currently playing a WP and when I rolled him I was thinking how he would make an awesome healer with a fast group heal, group hot, channeled aoe hot and group shield mixed with survivability. Having played both a RP and an AM to level 26ish before I rolled him I was pretty convinced about the ulity of the WP, and now at level 31; in PvKeeps I always feel very usefull as the door with no resistance makes my melee heals heal for silly amounts when getting rf for my other heals, and martyrs blessing is win on "shaman" mobs with that acid aoe. And between all my aoe healing skills and turning enemy pets into single target healing, Im usaly double the healing of the next healer on the list in t3.

But now Im having doubts, as I never see them in 6v6 vids, or in 6vPvE instance vids, wich tbh is where its at for me; beeing a usefull cog in a 6man team. And people I meet ingame generaly dont seem to think that I can heal that well. (in PvE they always want a "healer" to do "insert pq hero/lord here", even tho given the chance I can heal it solo). So Im asking, "would you include a salvation speced WP in your 6v6 team?", if so why?, and if not, why not?

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
do you like playing a wp?

yes?

then does it really matter what others want?

Libh

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe I did'nt make it clear enugh, but Im not all that keen on zerging about wich is why I want to play a class wich is needed in 6 man setups.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Maybe I did'nt make it clear enugh, but Im not all that keen on zerging about wich is why I want to play a class wich is needed in 6 man setups.

This game isn't designed for 6 man setups. there will always be a zerg you can merely join it :p

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Im just asking as Im currently playing a WP and when I rolled him I was thinking how he would make an awesome healer with a fast group heal, group hot, channeled aoe hot and group shield mixed with survivability. Having played both a RP and an AM to level 26ish before I rolled him I was pretty convinced about the ulity of the WP, and now at level 31; in PvKeeps I always feel very usefull as the door with no resistance makes my melee heals heal for silly amounts when getting rf for my other heals, and martyrs blessing is win on "shaman" mobs with that acid aoe. And between all my aoe healing skills and turning enemy pets into single target healing, Im usaly double the healing of the next healer on the list in t3.

But now Im having doubts, as I never see them in 6v6 vids, or in 6vPvE instance vids, wich tbh is where its at for me; beeing a usefull cog in a 6man team. And people I meet ingame generaly dont seem to think that I can heal that well. (in PvE they always want a "healer" to do "insert pq hero/lord here", even tho given the chance I can heal it solo). So Im asking, "would you include a salvation speced WP in your 6v6 team?", if so why?, and if not, why not?

Basically: in a melee oriented group yes, not in rdps oriented one.
Now you have to answer another basic questions, are there any melee setups really strong Order side?

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
I suggested a while back on another thread that a nice 6 man would be 2 WPs in an all melee group (with 2 IBs and 2 MDPS).

I still think it has mileage. If not, there might be one or two other group configurations you could use a WP in, but I doubt people will have the imagination to run with them.

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
At the moment RP and AM have tactics that mean they should always be in an opted 6v6.

AM = Insta rezz Hurried Restore - Abilities - Warhammer Online
RP = armour buff Regenerative Shielding - Abilities - Warhammer Online

If we're accepting that every group needs at least 2 (if not 3 dps) that leaves 2 spots left. Those two spots are often best given to Tank and an Engineer for utility and CC.

However WP's might have one saving grace being : Cleansing Power - Abilities - Warhammer Online . I'm not quite sure what curses are that useful at the moment, especially as my AM's dispell is against hexes and ailment and seems to remove most nasty things, however it has potential.

Bottom line : I can't see WP being included ahead of AM and RP in a 6v6 group anytime soon.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
WP's are a good class. I like having them in my team and don't like facing them when I'm on my destro character.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Bottom line : I can't see WP being included ahead of AM and RP in a 6v6 group anytime soon.

WP's are the kings of group healing and have much, much more survivability than either an AM or a RP. That said my experience of 6 v 6 in this game is zero, just doesn't happen on Burlock.

Have had some 1v1's but it is mostly the zerg v the other zerg.

Leel

Fledgling Freddie
Kinda agree with stazbumpa, I think they are nice, but maybe hard to fit into a 6 man group for reasons mentioned above.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
With such small groups and such low dps compared to all other melee classes just about i can't see why someone would take one over an IB or a main healer. Both heavy tanks and MDPS bring more to the table in survivability and damage respectively, and both healing classes have better sustained healing (although i believe the WP is their equal in burst healing).

WP's are one of the few very effective classes in Zerg Healing though - i forget the name of the ability but it's in the healing spec line, and is an AE focus heal that heals allpeople within X feet.

Excellent way to farm realm points - find a bunch of BW's and stand near them spamming that whenever it's up ;) Not that i've done it or anything /cough /cough.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
WP's are one of the few very effective classes in Zerg Healing though - i forget the name of the ability but it's in the healing spec line, and is an AE focus heal that heals allpeople within X feet.

Martyr's Blessing. But I disagree about runepriests and archmages being better healers. Sure WP lacks a big single target heal but our group heal/group hot/absorb shield/armour buff is all the healing a lot of people will need.

An archmage or runepriest goes down fast to focus firing, a WP has a lot more survivability with better armour, more toughness and can spec to disrupt casters and has an AE detaunt too.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
It's still too early to call on weather or not a WP will be wanted/needed in a 6man group. Personally I believe so, hence the reason I play one. It's just that most people still don't have a good idea what we can do or not.

The forthcoming Grace changes are definitely making the class more and more reliable and desired.

Time will tell tho

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Martyr's Blessing. But I disagree about runepriests and archmages being better healers. Sure WP lacks a big single target heal but our group heal/group hot/absorb shield/armour buff is all the healing a lot of people will need.

An archmage or runepriest goes down fast to focus firing, a WP has a lot more survivability with better armour, more toughness and can spec to disrupt casters and has an AE detaunt too.

95% of this post is wrong/misleading

Gahn

Resident Freddy

Err yeh i guess that Insta Rezz, Single Shield, Group Shield (just few of the core abilities) and so on put Ams in the underperforming league lol.
Also Aoe Detaunt a Wp only ability? Sure :m00:
That said in this game is pretty difficult that anything really survives focused assist trains (Heal Debuff, Ignore Armor and Heavy dps).

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Also Aoe Detaunt a Wp only ability? Sure :m00:

Did I say that it was? Reading comprehension is your friend.

And nowhere did I say that archmages or runepriests are weaker than warrior priests. But neither do I think warrior priests are weak or substandard healers. If specced for the job, and if Mythic leave the Salvation line as it is, they are very good at their job and would be a useful addition to any six man team.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Salv spec WP is a very good secondary healer the only thing they don't do well in regard to healing is keep up single targets which is why I doubt you will get many people willing to lose an am or a rp to give you a spot, imo you would stand more chance getting into a 6 man melle setup as a grace specced WP especially with the upcoming buffs too melle heals.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Did I say that it was? Reading comprehension is your friend.

And nowhere did I say that archmages or runepriests are weaker than warrior priests. But neither do I think warrior priests are weak or substandard healers. If specced for the job, and if Mythic leave the Salvation line as it is, they are very good at their job and would be a useful addition to any six man team.

Maybe you should have phrase it better, anyway all of my other points stand still and since there isn't really any space for 3 healer types in a group :m00:, you won't have a spot.
That could change the moment Mythic, as i said, makes Order melee groups viable.

Marwolaeth

Fledgling Freddie
Well as a Dark Rites specced DoK I tend to find my healing is decent enough to keep someone standing. With a decent tank you can use your core HoT, followed by aoe HoT (since both are insta) then direct heal with HoT, bubble your group and get restoring your healing pool. Now it may not be as great as the others but I've kept alive a group in Bation Stairs vs the boss on the left path as the only healer in the group using that method (with a few group heals thrown in for that added direct heal.

That btw is at just lvl 33 and some very basic willpower gear (only 510 will). Gimme a few more levels and some willpower focus and I reckon it will be even easier ;)

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
boring old daoc must have and only have class thread again under a different name. lol really, if someones in your guild and play a certain class and wants to go rvr with you, youre going to say no ,youre a WP?

Best let the likes of penlid know that before he hits 40 eh?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
boring old daoc must have and only have class thread again under a different name. lol really, if someones in your guild and play a certain class and wants to go rvr with you, youre going to say no ,youre a WP?

Best let the likes of penlid know that before he hits 40 eh?

tis a general thread about BEST setup, has nothing to do with what a guild group wants to run or not, we pugged with all type of classes ^^

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
title is "Would you slot a WP in your 6v6 group? " not "Would you slot a WP in your Best 6v6 group? "

And why is a group of guildies who want to play but not the ulitmate uber class you want classfied as a PUG???

Seriously is there no one who just plays and goes with the flow amd tries with what theyve got or is everyone going for eazymode pre made Strictly Come RvR types where the guild is coerced into making the careers you want and not what people want to play for fun??

Mind you what do i expect from daocers who think arranged dances with the enemy is real pvp lol.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
title is "Would you slot a WP in your 6v6 group? " not "Would you slot a WP in your Best 6v6 group? "

And why is a group of guildies who want to play but not the ulitmate uber class you want classfied as a PUG???

Seriously is there no one who just plays and goes with the flow amd tries with what theyve got or is everyone going for eazymode pre made Strictly Come RvR types where the guild is coerced into making the careers you want and not what people want to play for fun??

Are you having a go at me? If you wanna compete with the best groups out there you HAVE to put in a well thought setup, you HAVE to put in the best combination of specs, you HAVE to kit out correctly your toon.
Rest is pugging, aye, no matter how you wanna put it.
This is the 1st true statement.
The 2nd, as i said, is that i gladly run with whatever setup comes at handy guild wise.

Mind you what do i expect from daocers who think arranged dances with the enemy is real pvp lol.

You should really try out things before spitting on em.

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
Try out fake rvr? nah i'll pass :)

Fail to see how a guild group with any mix of people is a pick up group? o_O

Not having a go at you but having a go at the "must have best class group set up cant play without this and that group mentality". The best skill is the player and a well played xxx class is better everytime that a badly played MUST HAVE class.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Try out fake rvr? nah i'll pass :)

Fail to see how a guild group with any mix of people is a pick up group? o_O

PickUpClassGroup?
Following down the line we could go out in RvR with 3 SWs 1 Ib 1 Wp and 1 Sm and hoping to survive another Guild Group for more than 20 seconds, but that's ofc a dream.

Not having a go at you but having a go at the "must have best class group set up cant play without this and that group mentality". The best skill is the player and a well played xxx class is better everytime that a badly played MUST HAVE class.

ah well of course it is, but if you get the same level of players in 2 groups facing each other, one with the right combination of classes/specs etc and the other with random things, doesn't matter the skills, you gonna end up eating dirt ^^

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Even when it comes to having the BEST, the verdict is still open regarding a slot for a WP. The only think they lack is good single target healing, but then again under a proper train so do the rest.

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
The surprising thing for me is how strongly some people have formed opinions based on a lot of theory and very little evidence. As Gear says, the real answer is that it remains to be seen.

I suspect we will see very few attempts to make best use of WP. The RvR elite will take whatever the received wisdom of the moment is and do it to death, gradually finding flaws over time. People who innovate may not tick as many of the other RvR success boxes (opted equipment, voice comms, etc) so you won't get as strong a showing from non-FotM setups, regardless of merits. Only if the WP setup turns out to be miles better will it become apparent quickly.

If I get time once I hit 40 (if I hang around WAR to 40 that is), I'll start an all melee fixed group and people who are interested can explore WPs a bit in it. I would imagine the deal-breaker in WAR will be the same as every other MMO - melee is worse than ranged simply because movement penalises the one and aids the other, and movement is a ubiquitous game mechanic, not a specific to classes.

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
The fact is tho that a WP is one of ,if not THE , toughest classes in the game. A proper specced rank40 WP can withstand massive amounts of incoming damage while still healing his team mates and himself.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
The only problem regarding WPs, is that it takes a decent player to make the class shine. It's not the usual healing muppet, nor the half brain stun - debuff - - nuke - nuke - nuke class (ok, bit of daoc there); it is a versatile class that takes a-lot-of awareness to play. So people still don't know what to do with them.

At some point though, all the pieces will fit together.

Afran

Part of the furniture
We run with a WP in our group most of the time. Setup being WP, BW, WL, RP, RP, IB. It works well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom