Would a last years "top" laptop do?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm planning on getting myself "mobile" more, so i need a laptop.

Top notch game laptop of prime market is going to set me back way too much.

I'm curious, would a last years "killer" laptop do?

The scale of games is online(like say wow or EVE(shaders!!)) and games like Fallout 3 + random Battlefield fun.

I don't want to play fallout 3 on 800x600 resolution, so would need enough to "run that b*tch" like Laddey would say.

So, how much would a thing like that set me back, should i go bargain hunting for used ones and is it even viable?

EDIT: And yes i know! I'm going to die in eternal blazes of internet fire for even thinking about anything else then a good old fashioned "break your back carrying" PC :D

Bahumat

FH is my second home
When I was searching for laptops I found a really nice one for £600 (Had a Nvidia 9600GT). I did notice that it's the graphics card which is your biggest problem. Laptops which cost £800+ usually have a good graphics card.

The difference between a GS and GT is fairly big so shop around.

What you might be able to do is check Gaming Machine websites and see if they have last years models still on sale?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
don't expect gaming performance when not attached to the wall socket though :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
don't expect gaming performance when not attached to the wall socket though :)

Yeah, that's the major problem.

There are those laptops that can handle "enough" game power, but without that monolith humming by your side, it's usually not going to cut it.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Find a decent laptop that uses Core2duo, 2gb ram and an also decent graphics card. Shouldnt be that expensive. I think its all the annoying gadgets and operative systems pre installed that steepens the pricetag.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Toshiba - Satellite X200-23G - Product Specifications

Pretty close to the machine I purchased last year, except processor was a T9700 and the Graphics Cards were upgraded to 2 x 9400M GT's.

Seen them second hand for around 800 GBP.

Its plays WAR comfortably even during a fortress raid at 1680x1050 everything maxed.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
^^^ That's a very good combination of price, power and screen size.
If I had the cash and I was looking for a machine, I'd seriously consider that one.

Make sure you get the exact model right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom