Worthy Buying for a Lowly 56k User?

O

old.- Desolate -

Due to the unfortunate lack of both ADSL and Cable in my area I'm left with my 56k until either of these services arrive in my region (Worcestershire).

I've heard plenty of good things about Tribes 2 over the past few weeks, and been blown away by some video footage of said game that I've downloaded from Fileplanet.

However the one thing that worries me most is the netcode, just how does it compare to that of Half-Life, and is it really worth a HPB like my poor self purchasing this game?

O

old.[DT] Turdmonkey

I have the same prob and though I do have a fairly fast pc, I dont have much probs with ping, no more so than tribes at least

O

old.BruZteR

hmm hmm hmmmmmmm

Now, no offense to newbie's, cos by definition you don't know as much as ppl who've played this for years (or T1 whatever). Problem is, if you sit on a Tribes 2 forum and ask "should you buy this game" everyone is going to say Yes aren't they. Ppl only use the forums if they have the game and like it. I've always played Tribes on a 56k, and not too badly I hop, with a little bit of tweaking you can get very reasonable pings, and T2 is every bit as good ping wise imho. In other words: BUY IT. Are ya shocked I said that? :p

Irn-Bru

O

old.- Desolate -

Obviously users of this board are going to be biased towards T2, due to the fact that many have been playing and thoroughly enjoying Tribes for some time.

However just where do you suggest that I ask this question? The Tribes 2 forum seems the logical choice :p

O

old.Shaz_af_Tribes2

No offence but HalfLife pings 30 on a lan... :D
So that isn't the best thing to judge netcode by :)

Tribes2 netcode is still odd atm, plays very well for modemers, but us lpbs are getting high pings but it still plays very well. Just the pings look high :)

O

old.Ewan

I play tribes2 on a modem, its fine up to about 40 players, then it dies. However, most server player limits are 32, only a few have higher so its not a big issue.

Ewan

O

old.Crunchy

My 56k modem isn't the problem, its the fps :).

O

old.[DT] Turdmonkey

no point having fps more than 25, seeing as we see things at 25 fps =)
unless ur gettin lower
in which case I feel sorry 4 u

O

old.Crunchy

Well theres a big difference between the average 60-90fps I got in Tribes 1 and fps I get in Tribes 2. I've seen it go as low as 8fps but that was extreme. It's often down as low as 20-25 fps in battles :/

Have you watched your fps in battles? On my own I can get as high as 102 fps, even outside on certain maps. In battles though it's a HUGE fps hit.

O

old.[DT] Turdmonkey

I was getting 20-30 in a bot match today, aint checked online since I aint been on since I put the fps hud in =)

O

old.Zenith

Desolate, I've always found Tribes to be very good for modemers. There isn't so much of an advantage with ping as there is in Q3, UT and HL. That said, having a low ping certainly helps if you're sniping for instance.

Now Tribes 2 is here and I've had a few days play on it. I can say that the netcode is no problem as far as modemers go. The only bottleneck you're likely to notice is fps slowdown, but that's due to your system, not your connection.

All in all, Tribes 2 is good for modemers (IMO).

Tribes 2 playing bloke

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Kinda weird one this, i ain't quite made up my mind about the netcode yet. it's realy hard to tell what the score is, because of all the constant action, eg vehicle mayhem ect.. One thing i do notice though is my lack of visable shrike laser fire when the server is over 40 players:( Being isdn im confused and so far ain't figured out just how my rates ect should be set. Easy in other games, but things in this game seem a little more difficult, as there's no reference for isdn settings in the manual, or easy acess console commands. I ain't realy looked into it, but i would like to know just what the score should be. One good thing, well it could be good news, i refresh the master list, and i get pings in the 20-30's on my isdn:) i even pick up 30-40's when im on bt:eek: good news or not, it's not a bad start:)

O

old.Mjr tOm

its a difficult one to call this cause T2 runs so well on my set up 1.2ghz athlon, v5500, 128mb, isdn.....

the message you get from readin all the forums is that its more to do with ya processor / gfx card combination that the speed of ya connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom