Worth starting on a classic server for a casual player?

Grieff

Fledgling Freddie
Hi All

Thinking of coming back to play on the classic server ...

I quit DAOC after ToA came out, largely due to the mind-numbing time spent getting bored / annoyed trying to do MLs and required PvE to stay RvR competitive.

Played WoW for a bit but bored as it has relatively easy PvP.

If I come back to DAOC, I will have to roll a new char and am thinking Sorc (had a scout/friar/reaver) ... don't have much time to game, casual due to work / RL, so 1-2 hour max a day.

Is it worth buying the expansions and giving it a go (no BB btw)?

< did post on the Glastonbury server forum but no replies ...>

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Grieff said:
Hi All

I quit DAOC after ToA came out, largely due to the mind-numbing time spent getting bored / annoyed trying to do MLs and required PvE to stay RvR competitive.

If I come back to DAOC, I will have to roll a new char and am thinking Sorc (had a scout/friar/reaver) ... don't have much time to game, casual due to work / RL, so 1-2 hour max a day.

Go for cluster :)

At 50, if you roll a tic or a friar you can handle life without buffs :)

Toa is easymode now(I woudlnt know, havent tried it)

Even if you dont want to toa your charcters, can always lurk around in Thidranki :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Grieff said:
Hi All

Glast is just fine, it does get bit boring after 6 months but if you are playing casually it might float your boat more than a ToA server.

Grieff

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks chaps ...

Don't think I want to play with BB enhanced types ... so classic it is ...

Nice to see you still about Chodax ... I used to play Shaant the scout, way back when we were both younger!

See you all soon ... :)

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Grieff said:
Thanks chaps ...

Don't think I want to play with BB enhanced types ... so classic it is ...

Nice to see you still about Chodax ... I used to play Shaant the scout, way back when we were both younger!

See you all soon ... :)

A heretic is quite fun actually :)

Can go reaverstyle or caster tic :)

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Heretic is very fun, actually. Can't believe Albs complained about it when it came out, awesome class.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Svartmetall said:
Heretic is very fun, actually. Can't believe Albs complained about it when it came out, awesome class.

Because mids got instapwn Warlock, Hibs got Vampire of opness and Bainshee of wallhackness

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Thadius said:
Because mids got instapwn Warlock, Hibs got Vampire of opness and Bainshee of wallhackness
Warlock got gutted by nerfs. Valkyrie was shit from day one...although it's had some desperately-needed love and will be pretty good come 1.84. Heretic is a very strong class indeed.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Svartmetall said:
Warlock got gutted by nerfs. Valkyrie was shit from day one...although it's had some desperately-needed love and will be pretty good come 1.84. Heretic is a very strong class indeed.

At the start, warlock was just stupid :)

leviathane

Part of the furniture
thinking of floating back onto glastonbury again myself once sorted out pc again :) probably only be for a month d'pends on rvr.

Eleasias

Can't get enough of FH
You have "more" pve to do on a ToA server, meaning you get to atleast go to different places while doing it, but on classic you will actually spend more time on pve and only doing it in one place :) hf in DS

ToA pve is much more versatile and takes less time AND you get more out of the game with abilities and items etc, Glaston is just a simplified version and a bigger timesink

Bitter tears :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
if you are a casual gamer and not really that interested in getting an opted template then i would say glastonbury. if you want to go opted then toa, takes far less time and is more fun to equip your toon.

glastonbury 50+ raids on the same dungeon over and over and over....etc (45 minutes-1 hour each)

cluster 10 raids on different MLs, which for the first time round are quite fun (2 hours tops each) and a few artifact encounters, which take minutes.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Svartmetall said:

because in RvR they're OK, no superbrilliantpwnage apart from their RR5?

fun class, just nothing like a pre-nerf warlock (which wasn't nerfed till at least a year after it landed)

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
Eleasias said:
You have "more" pve to do on a ToA server, meaning you get to atleast go to different places while doing it, but on classic you will actually spend more time on pve and only doing it in one place :) hf in DS
There are actually quite decent drops, hear and behold, *drumroll* outside of DS. :m00:
And the game is what you make of it. Been to loads of places xping. ;p
Eleasias said:
ToA pve is much more versatile and takes less time AND you get more out of the game with abilities and items etc, Glaston is just a simplified version and a bigger timesink

Bitter tears :(

You mean "Iwin" buttons? :touch:
And my Wiz on glast got ready for RvR faster than any of my mid/exc toons did so I don't see this "timesink" you're on about... ^^

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Teh FnoRd said:
There are actually quite decent drops, hear and behold, *drumroll* outside of DS. :m00:
And the game is what you make of it. Been to loads of places xping. ;p

The people who will run with templates that aren't full of DS items on classic are the same kind of people that wouldnt' worry to much about arti's and ML's on normal servers... so no difference there.

Teh FnoRd said:
And my Wiz on glast got ready for RvR faster than any of my mid/exc toons did so I don't see this "timesink" you're on about... ^^

You got your wiz completely rvr ready in a day and 18 hours played?

That's what we needed to kit out our runie, level it's arti's and get it to ml5 (speedwarp is, sadly, all you need on a runie) ... Oh and it was on an account without /level as well btw.

I'm not bragging or anything it's not something I'm particullary proud off and I bet it could have been done a lot faster. All I'm trying to proof is that "teh TOA grind" is a thing of the past. First of all it's not a grind. You go to loads of different zones and zerg the crap out of some very interesting encounters. All the "grind" things have been taken out and with the many arti and ml raids that are being organized getting credit or xp is a breeze.

When you're 40 you can start going on arti/ml raids. Great xp as well btw and you now get credit for almost all arti's around level 40. Activate your arti's when your 46 and by the time you're 49 all your arti's are 10. Easy... no grind ... or at least no additional grind anyway.

anioal

Fledgling Freddie
Teh FnoRd said:

for me ns it took /play 2 days and 9 hours to ding 50 (solo in instances till lvl 12, then self pl with my enchantments chanter - which is a bit slower than joining a regular pl grp), ding full ml1, ml8 grpsteps, ml4 grpsteps, ml2 grpsteps, get him a nice template and level all his 5 arties.

hardly any timesink...

not to mention that meeting heretics / vamps / warloks on classic is not nice at all

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Flimgoblin said:
because in RvR they're OK, no superbrilliantpwnage apart from their RR5?

MR is horrific to fight against most of the time. It's a very, very powerful siege tool indeed.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Eleasias said:
Please mention atleast 1 single ability that by pressing it you win a fg/zerg fight?

Dazzling Array

Beneficial storm that makes it harder for enemies to hit allies within it.

This is so totally fight winner it's not even funny

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
glast is fine but be aware that a lot of people have now settled down with guilds or opted groups and may or may not invite you to the group.

I would definatly recomend either midgard or albion because at least that way it will be a slight challenge and not just join the hibzernian steamroller machine.

But the choice is yours i do miss hibernia some times and then i curse them for being lame :D

Glast is casual but if you roll your first class as one that is needed in ds or rvr and your second one the one you actually want to play.

Important note . NECRO's are generally not invited along to any high end pve raids if you want to level fast roll a cabalist instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom