World war 1 in colour

O

old.ignus

How good is this program? Its really weird seeing the footage in colour.

G

GDW

shit I forgot it was on tonight. Saw it last week. Excellent series

E

Embattle

Most probably get it on DVD when it released on 01/09.

P

Panda On Smack

Dont be silly, there wasnt any colour in the world before 1975

W

whipped

I think the slaves of the American deep south may disagree :)

D

dysfunction

Colour was starting to creep in there like in the film Pleasantville

Y

Yaka

i enjoyed it, but i read in the telly guide that they added colour to bw footage with computers, some poor sod musta spent hours on the bw footage with pshop

C

cjravey

Anyone remember that calvin strip where his dad explains old black and white colour photos to him?

Basically says that there was no colour around in the old days, and the world turned colour at a certain point.

'So,' says Calvin. 'Why didn't the B+W photos turn colour too?'

'Because they are colour photos of a black and white world.'

Made me laff, anyhoo....

S

Summo

What bugged me was that although the film was coloured (and not particularly well either) they hadn't slowed th film down, so everyone is still scampering about like an old silent movie.

Shoddy.

O

old.ignus

Originally posted by Summo
What bugged me was that although the film was coloured (and not particularly well either) they hadn't slowed th film down, so everyone is still scampering about like an old silent movie.

Shoddy.

Don't be daft, that would have ruined it. The whole point is that it's meant to look old, if it didn't it wouldn't look right. Colour has been around longer than 75, there was some footage from the second world war in colour.

S

Summo

No. The whole point was it wasn't meant to look old, which is why they coloured it.

O

old.ignus

Actually no the whole point was so that you could see the colours of the battlefield. Anyway I don't think they could do anything else with the footage they had, it was probably shot with very few frames a second so other than reshoot it with actors they had very little choice.

C

cjravey

There is a computer process - called vidFire - which adds cgi frames inbetween frames of film, to return it to its original video look.

It doesn't look CGI (it's used on old sixties Doctor Who videos by the Restoration Team) as the computer 'guesses' what each inbetween frames look like.

Still, Who IS more important than WWI, so I guess there wasn't the time / resources;)

Joke.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Summo
No. The whole point was it wasn't meant to look old, which is why they coloured it.

I reckon they did a good job overall, improving it a little bit but not going OTT.....no doubt they could of done better but I find that in its present state it manages to stay old and modern at the say time.

Users who are viewing this thread