World of warcraft - any depth???

R

rynnor

It looks nice but so far the few details on classes etc. seem a bit lacking on the gameplay side - I'm not sure why I'd play this over Diablo 2 since they both seem to have cookie cutter classes with a couple of abilities each - still it should be a lot easier to balance than daoc due to its simplicity :)

Are all the next gen MMORPG's just dumbed down versions of previous games gameplay?

B

Belsameth

it's not even in beta yet, I suggest you reserve judgement till then :)

C

cHodAX

Less classes makes it easier to balance which is something that has plauged Mythic since day 1. I am not sure if that is a good thing for longevity of the game but it should make it very playable in the short term.

D

Damini

God I HATE CLASSES. What's the next MMORPG out to not have them?

F

Flimgoblin

does eve have classes?

planetside doesn't, but it's got a very limited skill set :) and it's not an RPG

SWG doesn't have classes.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by Flimgoblin

SWG doesn't have classes.

It has classes but not in the conventional sense I think.

R

rynnor

Originally posted by old.cHodAX
It has classes but not in the conventional sense I think.

Aye - you can pick what skills you like but if they dont fit into one of the advanced careers your gimped because you dont get the bonus abilities - basically its classes without calling em classes.

R

rynnor

Originally posted by Belsameth
it's not even in beta yet, I suggest you reserve judgement till then :)

Probably - although I did keep an eye on Daoc from before any beta testing started and it looked interesting even then - WoW looks pretty but thats about it so far...

N

Nightchill

really?

the 100s upon 100s of dungeons; the limited access areas (so dungeons aren't crowded); the pvp zones (daoc size); the pvp arenas; the *enormous* cities; the 100s of quests in cities; tradeskills (few more than daoc) etc.

looks great so far and that's with them releasing hardly any information :)

T

The Kingpin

It has base classes.

But from them base classes, you can train tons of skills, its not like daoc, where you have 3 skills to train.

It also has basic training skills, so every class can learn basic healing ect, to get can become group friendly.

WoW shall be a blast!

S

SilverHood

Damini, Realms of Torment is an mmorpg I've been following... doesn't have classes as far as I can gather... its very UO inspired :)

O

osy

Old article on Realms of Torment

Recent News:

Quad Software has finished working on the engine, giving the game a final shape. They are now working on the story, implementing characters, events and such. My ETA would be early 2004. My people ;)

S

Spinky

Among other things, this caught my eye.

How do blood-lines and permanent death situations work?
Realms of Torment places heavy emphases on clan and community as a way to live and play in the game. Many aspects of Realms of Torment reflect real life, from the effects of terrain on traveling to the degradation of weapons. We are attempting to give players one of the best arenas for role playing ever.
The blood-line system is your way to live through your descendents upon old age and eventual PermaDeath. In order to have a bloodline, you need to create an NPC child. Children come from:

Your character marries another character and produces an NPC child (or several children). Presently, children produced this way receive the benefit of learning the same skills of his/her parent at a faster rate. (Gender outcome can be influenced.)
Adopt an NPC child from your clan or village.
Parenting an NPC child of a friend.
Through divine intervention you might receive an NPC child. (Gender outcome can be influenced.)
The blood-line child is your prime's replacement in the case of PermaDeath. It is the character that you will play when your prime dies. There is consideration being given to allowing parents to play along side their child (the child being an NPC type).

Procreation in an mmorpg, and permadeath (reported 500 hours gametime before your character dies of natural causes, or fighting some hard monster) are interesting concepts I don't believe seeing before, wouldn't mind finding out how this works in the game.

D

Driwen

blood line thing is nice to keep the char you are playing flexible to game changes and can adapt to tactics:). As every 500 gaming hours you will have a new character with a hopefully better speccing:)

R

Reverant Mezz

there's d0rfs in the game, then i will play it :D

D

Damon_D

well actualy they look semi ok in DAOC..but WOW just has the look right I think ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom