working life

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
We just had a drink at work, the result is :
I am drunk as fuck
The rest of the team is drunk
My boss (who has a meeting with the big wigs in 30 mins) is curently hanging over the sink puking his guts out.

life can be good in the IT world

how was your working day ?

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Well on Tuesday a customer told me over the phone he hoped I caught cancer and died (as well as a few other things I don't care to repeat). We're talking on a level where I was almost in tears I was so shaken, you'd think that was it? It was over? Nope. He then started phoning over and over again each time asking for me specifically so he could continue giving me abuse. Finally after an hour of this my boss got hold of him and threatened to call the police if he continued harrassing myself and the other 3 members of the CS team, but it was one of the worst experiences of my life :(

Still, today hasn't been as bad. Though i'm staying away from the phone (thankfully nobodies pushing me to start taking calls again).

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Today my semi-eunuch beard-annexing Classics teacher questioned my sexuality. I was not amused.

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Archeon said:
Well on Tuesday a customer told me over the phone he hoped I caught cancer and died (as well as a few other things I don't care to repeat). We're talking on a level where I was almost in tears I was so shaken, you'd think that was it? It was over? Nope. He then started phoning over and over again each time asking for me specifically so he could continue giving me abuse. Finally after an hour of this my boss got hold of him and threatened to call the police if he continued harrassing myself and the other 3 members of the CS team, but it was one of the worst experiences of my life :(

Still, today hasn't been as bad. Though i'm staying away from the phone (thankfully nobodies pushing me to start taking calls again).

That's dreadful. What was his problem in the first place?

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
hehe I remember the time when I had to talk to (L)users, I got promoted to admin not only on my unix skills but head IT figured anybody able to hurl more abuse back than the user could trow was a wutrhy admin :)

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
rofl you gotta love it :D

we went for a 2 hr lunch got bladdered and now were back in throughing paper airplanes and stress balls at each other :D

and the gr8 think is u get paid loads for it lol

it defo best career imo :)

hic.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Loxleyhood said:
That's dreadful. What was his problem in the first place?

Its kind of a long story but here goes anyway...

He (being an IT constultant, and thus higher paid and much, much smarter than me.) was convinced that because his Inet connection had been down for a whole 30mins it had to be a problem at our end. The guys who work Tech Support sit directly behind me, so I just needed to turn around and ask to find out all the servers were working fine. So I explained all our servers were working, then (and this is were I made a mistake I think) I tried to help him - as a little background knowlage the tech support line is a premium rate line (£1 a min) compared to CS which is standard fee (2p) and most of the problems TS encounter are so simple they only take a few minutes to fix, but can take upward of 10mins to identify.

So I asked him a few questions to try and work out what was wrong and maybe save him the money. Turns out his phoneline had managed to unplug itself from his modem box. I should mention that while i'm asking these questions he's laughing and making comments like "if it was somthing that simple i'd have fixed it myself" basically making me feel like I knew nothing about anything, constantly reminding me of his status as a consultant and pretty much being an arrogant prick.

So he plugs it back in and it works again, only now he wants free stuff. Yes, he wants me to credit his account with free connection time to make up for his loss, I try to explain I can't do that because it wasn't a problem with our service. It was around this point he started getting very abusive. The cancer comment was thrown about, he was pretty much screaming about how he knew the law, he'd call the manager and get me fired - because apparently i've been nothing but rude, offensive and unhelpful. So on, so forth until I hung up. Hour later, manager. Etc. etc...

I do love my job even if the pay isn't that great, but its customers like that who really make me seriously consider if its worth putting up with some of the shit i'm forced too put up with :(

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
:(

happens a lot in here u get fucks who think coz there high and mighty programmers or techies that they can treat the helpdesk peeps like shite :(

never mind m8 im sure theres a bus out there reading to knock the fucker out :D

Chronick Wind

Fledgling Freddie
I love my job...

i do nothning more or less all day, get paid handsomely and if someone gives me shit over the fone i can tell them to "fuck off".

I particularly love that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom