Work law.. things..

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
At work we sometimes do tills and take in from say £300 to £2000 depending on when we're working. It gets extreamly busy and well everyone makes mistakes sometimes. We were allowed to be £3 up or down in the past, and if we were more we got a file note. Personally i've only had one file note as im usually spot on, and I blame running out of change and needing more for that, but anyway..

The company say they're going to remove it from our wages if we're down.... Are they allowed to do that?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Not without first proving that you're responsible for the missing money IMO.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The company I work for deducts deficits from staff wages - if the till is over £3 down the deficit is split between whoever used the till. It'll be super-interesting if some law-type comes in here and says it's not legal. I know we don't deduct stock variances from wages because we're not allowed to (or it's a legal grey area or something).

Mey

Part of the furniture
That's pretty hardcore, the bank -does not- use this policy.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
At work we sometimes do tills and take in from say £300 to £2000 depending on when we're working. It gets extreamly busy and well everyone makes mistakes sometimes. We were allowed to be £3 up or down in the past, and if we were more we got a file note. Personally i've only had one file note as im usually spot on, and I blame running out of change and needing more for that, but anyway..

The company say they're going to remove it from our wages if we're down.... Are they allowed to do that?

Heh, only if they'll give you the additional money if you're up, fair's fair :p

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
have a look at the employment act 1996, in the sections about "unathorised deductions from wages".
that should describe when your employer is allowed to make deductions.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Heh, only if they'll give you the additional money if you're up, fair's fair :p

Well this is just word of mouth, but supposedly they're not allowed to make a contract favour one side so yes I should get the money when im up, rather than them benefiting both ways, if thats correct. :p

tris- said:
have a look at the employment act 1996, in the sections about "unathorised deductions from wages".
that should describe when your employer is allowed to make deductions.

Apparently they can, but only if they have written aproval by the employee e.g. contract. Can they ask me to sign a new contract and if I refuse, sack me?

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I would think that your current contract of employment might need to expire first.

I'm not quite sure though as i dont think you actually need an "Employment contract" anymore, and you could be issued with a "Statement" which i suspect would be changable without much notice (depending on unions ect).

Wouldn't be easier to just phone ACAS rather than listening to hear say?

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Can they ask me to sign a new contract and if I refuse, sack me?

I ... think.....if there is a new contract and you don't sign they could say its a reclassification of job/rolls - so technically you will be redundant if you don't sign as that old job/contract no longer exists within the company.

Could be wrong tho, but that's the angle id push for if i was a boss :)

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Wouldn't be easier to just phone ACAS rather than listening to hear say?

JBP, remember who the thread starter is...I remember when he used to post threads along the lines of "If I breathe in, should I then breathe out?"

bless!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
you dont have to sign a contract for a contract to exist. if youve been doing this from the start then it could be implyed by conduct that you both agree to such a thing.

Well this is just word of mouth, but supposedly they're not allowed to make a contract favour one side so yes I should get the money when im up, rather than them benefiting both ways, if thats correct. :p

ofc they can

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
We run a penny-in-the-pound (does what it says on the tin, they get 1p for every £1 they make on the till) incentive at work and it almost cancels out the wage deductions. So the staff are pretty much breaking even at the end of the month

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
I apparently used to run a "whatever can fit in your pocket/boot of your car/in your tummy" policy when I was in retail....

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Should of paid us and not made us touch your "boss area" then.

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
That's what I meant by what you can fit in your pocket or in your tummy.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom