WolfSP... What did you think?

S

ShockingAlberto

I'm currently on level3 the Weapons Factory mission, so i'm about half way through the game, so i would like to reflect on what everyone has thought of the game so far.

The difficulty of the game has been a let down for me. I'm playing on the hard mode, yet there haven't been any really hard parts. The Boss on mission2 especially, was very easy. I killed it on my first go, after wasting my dynamite by setting the wrong timer(not sure wether the dynamite would have gibbed it in one go), so i didn't think i would be able to kill it that go, so i was very surprised when it fell so easily.

The graphics are delicous, and scenes like the Paratroopers falling through the sky, with that exilerating music roaring, deffinately capture one's imagination, which it's even more of a pitty when the paratroopers aren't that much harder to fight than the regulars.

So, what did everyone else think?

O

old.[AXE]Raith

WolfSP is pretty average in its own right, compare it to Medal of Honor:Allied assault and it is extremely disappointing.

MOH single player is the best game since Half Life

B

bigbb

Can't say SP has ruffled my wuffle as much as i'd hoped, not really bothered going past Mission 3 as yet. Shame really, dunno why, but I just find it a bit tiresome.

O

old.Anatoly

I played it on the middle difficulty level, and my only real gripe is that in places where it shouldnt have been too hard it was (like the first super soldier with the lightning, and some of the enemy soldiers were stupidly accurate) whereas on the big finale it was too easy (I did it on second attempt without losing any health )

Overall an enjoyable experience but nothing groundbreaking.

S

ShockingAlberto

Just a quaestion, but Pest, why don't you give a toss? I don't know what kind of person spends £35 on a game, and then doesn't care about the main part of it. Yes Wolfenstein MP is very good, and has great prospects for the future, but the main part of the game is the SP...

O

old.PestilenZ

no, it isn't.
single player fps's usually give about a day of enjoyment
the mp lasts for months
i bought this game for the mp.

C

.cage

agreed, the mp is great, although the single player's far from bad, pez :)

S

ShockingAlberto

The SP is anything but bad...
Yes it's flawed, but it can be very enjoyable, it does let you hone your skills(nothing beats SP for training), and is a good way to pass the time.

I do dislike people who dislike SP.

S

Stazbumpa

Its not bad, I enjoyed it immensly but it didnt have the "fuck me" factor that I have experienced with Half Life, Shogun and only 1 or 2 others.

Apart from the ending, its a good game and the plot is good too, something that a lot of games sorely lack.

O

Orin Askhammare

I haven't touched SP since I came about halfway, and up to then it didn't look bad. Multiplayer has been much more entertaining. It certainly didn't have the "fuck me" factor mentioned above though.

S

Summo

As I suspected I lost all interest in SP as soon as the monsters appeared. Couldn't care less what happened past the catacombs.

I too bought RtCW for the MP after playing the demos to death. Unfortunately I found MP quite stale as well. Lack of rifles seem to make a difference and peeps just end up machine gunning each other in a variety of lacklustre maps.

Though its not as pretty, Day of Defeat 2.0 is a much better game, imo.

S

Sar

I thought it was formulaic, staid, boring shite tbh.

This was the review I posted on Yarn after completing the sp game:

The Story so far...

Be it lack of imagination, or a desire to pay homage to the original games, Castle Wolfenstein now finds itself under the spotlight once more. The hero of the original games, B.J. Blaskowicz is back, and so are the hordes of Nazi stormtroopers standing between you and your ultimate goal - to discover what the paranormal division of the SS is up to, what this has to do with Heinrich I who died 1000 years ago and put a stop to it if necessary...

Hey good lookin..

RtCW - This marks the fourth game to bear the Wolfenstein name (Castle Wolfenstein, (the original) Return to CW, Spear of Destiny and this game) to be released. When the original games were released true 3D was but wishful thinking, enemies and items were blockily drawn and badly animated sprites, and maps were all one plane - no up or down in these universes mister! But this fourth game changes all that. Powered by the Team Arena grade of the Quake 3 Arena engine, this game looks as good as any FPS currently available, possibly better. The atmosphere created solely by the standard of the graphics is a delight, cobwebs sway gently in some unfelt breeze in the depths of castles and catacombs. Candles flicker convincingly, set out as light for someones meal, still piping hot on a table. Foot level mist covers dungeon floors while you creep through them waiting for the next attack, while dead body parts lying about the floor evince impending doom & dread. The game, being set as it is in the middle of WW2, features Nazi bastardised swastikas and memorabilia strongly throughout, really putting you in the moment.

It's well smart, aiiii?

The main strongpoint of the game is the enemy AI - it's really very good. Enemy players react intelligently, and on a decent difficulty setting present a stiff challenge even to experienced FPS players. No dumb heroics here from the enemy, these AIs act as if they care about whether they live or die. Which alone slightly elevates the game above the glut of mediocrity we've been subjected to for most of the last few years.

In play the game is very reminiscent of Half Life in single player mode, although in keeping with the trends of recent years the game features a high stealth element at times, forcing you to think up a strategy over how to proceed, rather than run in guns blazing which would inevitably see you either killed or detected, failing the mission either way.

Missions themselves are preceded by a mission briefing, which is shown onscreen while the map for the level in question loads in the background. The missions are completed by achieving objectives while on your way through areas of the map. These objectives range from finding specific items, to assassinating certain key members of the SS Paranormal Division. If you get to the end of a map without completing even one of these objectives, then you must retrace your steps and hunt around the map until you succeed in that final objective. This is fine most of the time, but sometimes this can be irksome, because in essence you've already accomplished the objective. One in particular is towards the end of the game, where you must assassinate 5 SS Generals while managing not to trip the general alarm (ho-ho!) and gain access to a chateau. You can get through the level, take out the five SS generals, and get to the end of the map at the entrance to the winecellar of the chateau, having not tripped any alarms, but still the objective about not tripping the alarm still isn't met. It turns out you have to kill the guard on duty in the chateau grounds to meet this final objective...

Bang! You're dead.

The game features 7 missions in total, each broken up into 3 maps on average, each with progressively harder enemies than the last. In order to cope with these tougher enemies you get guns. Lots of guns.

These weapons range from standard WW2 fare: Luger pistols to machine guns to sniper rifles even an old styleé rocket launcher in the guise of the PanzerFaust. Later in the game you get your hands on more modernised and fantastical weaponry, flamethrowers (yes they were around during WW2, but not like this), chainguns (here the Venom gun), and there's even a lightning gun in there in the form of the Tesla gun. It ain't all pointy pointy shooty shooty though, as you do get your hands on plenty of explosives, two types of grenades and dynamite complement your arsenal, along with a knife for those moments when you want to make the ultimate in silent kills.

The weapons for the most part are fine to use, nothing outstanding, but the most enjoyable weapon to use is by far the Flamethrower. This is definitely the best implementation of a flamethrower in any game to date. Grey Matter (formerly Xatrix) have certainly improved their version of a flamethrower since Kingpin. The least enjoyable weapon to use is oddly the Tesla gun - just point it in the general direction of the enemy and it automatically hits any enemy in your line of sight. No aiming required. A more Q3/QW-ised Tesla gun requiring some aiming would have been much more welcome and satisfying to use.

Been there, done that...

The main problem with the game is that it's not attempting anything new here. Everything you do, see or come across has been done before, sometimes better, sometimes not. Elements of various games have been lifted and placed here, mainly from horror games (Realms of the Haunting, Undying etc), while other elements are fairly generic: find locked door, backtrack, find and hit switch, get through now unlocked door and proceed to next area on the map then kill bad guys and proceed to end of level. It's Doom all over again in places, and features echoes of Project IGI and Thief, but that's really a genre wide problem most of the time, so it's not entirely fair to pick on RtCW alone for this. But I will, because Grey Matter could have shown more imagination here.

Conclusion

The game feels like the original RtCW (minus the humour of the original. Little humour is evident, it's all very very serious here), dressed up to look pretty while lifting concepts from other genres and FPS games. Nothing revolutionary is tried, it's all safety first - go for the acceptable route kind of thing. No imagination from the developers sadly resigns this game to a card carrying "could'a should'a would'a" member of the FPS genre.

This doesn't move the single player FPS gametype forward in the slightest, nothing new is tried at all and that is a grave disappointment.

To sum up then:

Beautiful looking game, great AI and atmosphere, just little imagination shown throughout. Could do better...

Added: December 6th 2001
Reviewer: Dave James
Score: 6/10

O

old.almighty_monkey

SP Is good, but it isn't anything I've never done in other games before. MP strikes me as a direct by-the-numbers cross between CS and TFC with no real innovation present. Plus, as many have pointed out, the lack of MP maps really shortens its lifespan.

J

Jintao

Originally posted by CageCunt
I do dislike people who dislike SP.

Thats a pathetic attitude to have tbh. People are entitled to have their own opinions about things unless their opinions can not be justified with true reasons. In RtCW's case it did have a bad sp considering the hype surrounding it and also games of this time should be a hell of a lot better than that. Theres no excuse for it. I found nothing in the game I hadn't seen before, apart from the nice graphics (this was one thing it got right for its time) and the AI was really good...kinda. Whats the point of all this if the actual game was boring?

C

.cage

You dirty fucking newbie cunt, if you actually read the thread you'd know that quote was Shocking alberto, not me.

I can only assume you're one of those obsessive AGB cunts, so i'll give you a reply if only to stop you from looking into my bedroom window with binoculars.

S

ShockingAlberto

@Jintao:
As Cage said, read the thread. I was reffering to the guy that said he never played any SP, and only played MP games.

People like that are just newbie casual gamers who can fuck right off.

C

.cage

Originally posted by ShockingAlberto
@Jintao:
As Cage said, read the thread. I was reffering to the guy that said he never played any SP, and only played MP games.

People like that are just newbie casual gamers who can fuck right off.

Agreed, I always play games in single player first anyway. I'm not going to just jump onto a server having no knowledge of the games physics, or weapons, or even if I enjoy the game.

Wolfs single player is good, the opening levels alone are very atmospheric in my opinion, although I don't really have the time at the moment to finish it :/

B

bigbb

Nor me. I'd like to but if I spend hours on single player, I don't really feel i've achieved that much when I finish.

S

Sar

I always, unless the game in multiplayer only, buy a game with the single player game in mind. If it has a decent multiplayer game, BONUS!

:)

S

shadow`

I pretty much always play the SP after buying a game, even with Q2 :)

O

old.dookie_666

Yo, im kinda new so dont make fun...

Whats Wolf sp. I only have the bought cd version with single player and the multi Player?????

Users who are viewing this thread