Wolfenstein: The New Order

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Sooooo, this is pretty damn good so far. Proper old-school shooter with some modern stuff thrown in.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
It's taking so much willpower to not buy this, this is the last thing I wanted to hear :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Just found the nightmare thing.

Play original wolfenstein :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah I saw that. :) I also like the devs' sense of humour - on one of the earlier levels (
right after you set off from Anya's parents' house in the car and you get to the first lot of Nazis you have to kill
), there's a garage with a car up on jacks. You can get in it and he makes vroom vroom noises while he's pretending to drive.

There are some things that bug me about the game (you have to keep fucking "recharging" your guns later on when you're fighting the bigger baddies and for some reason going and doing menial tasks and looking for stupid things is part of the game - I spent ages looking for Max's toys that he'd lost and then I had to go and get a bit of concrete... it's all a bit bizarre when it's interspersed with the chaotic violence) but on the whole I love it.

Oh and also the game lets you pull out weapons that have no ammo and it doesn't tell you about it until you are face-to-face with a big Nazi motherfucker and you pull the trigger. :eek:

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
so...you suck at it then? ;-)

na, srsly, I so want to buy this. in fact, I may actually do so in a bit!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A lil bit. :( I'm sure every other FPS I've played ever has either not allowed me to select a weapon that I don't have any ammo for or it has flashed up something to let me know. The (very small) ammo counter just goes a dull shade of red rather than being white. It's caught me out twice so far. Luckily I was only fighting a semi-mental Nazi at the time (not the big mahoosive mech-nazis) so I managed to rescue the situation but it was a real "oh for fuck's sake" moment both times.

It's great fun though, I recommend it highly. Fifty gig install though. :eek:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You can always throw a knife in their face!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Just finished it

I thought the end was a bit of an anti climax really, I don't like boss fights in FPS games. I Thought the moon level was excellent, except for the constant charging weapons and overall really enjoyed the game, I was expecting a bit more variance in weapons though, the standard assault rifle felt a bit meh so was sort of waiting for a decent upgrade to it.

Will play it again at some point and chose the other guy to keep alive (I picked the Scottish fella to live)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Just finished too. All in all I really enjoyed it, couple of niggles as mentioned above and below. I probably spent 9 or 10 hours on the campaign (didn't really count but this week, basically, with a couple of hours a day put into it) but there is some replay value.
I would've liked the moon bit to last longer with some outdoor combat apart from thoe HL2-esque buzzy things. The AI was dumb as a bag of bricks in places, I could be standing well inside the field of view of one of the area commanders (or one of the grunts) and he wouldn't
react for like 3 or 4 seconds before I took him down. And similarly I could takedown somebody and his chum standing right next to him wouldn't even react. I know the takedown is supposed to be the super-stealthy option but that stretched it a bit. In Farcry 3 you wouldn't get away with that.

The recharging thing was annoying but cutting metal was a cool touch, if under-utilised. Dual-wielding guns was very nice, if expensive on ammo. I thought the pistol was *way* too powerful. I was using ithe silencer on the Gibraltar bridge level and I was taking peeps out with headshots from about 100 feet away.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
10 hours? - no multiplayer? £40? :(

Isn't it the new Doom engine? - Sounds like they're testing to me.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Steam says 11 hours for me - yet to see how different the other timeline is, can't seeing it being that different really but its worth another play through to try and get all the collectables and whatnot.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't think the other timeline will add or subtract any time to be honest. I reckon they did it so the two characters are interchangeable. I'm sure it won't have any bearing on the main story arc.
Fergus has very little to do with proceedings after you make the choice, except for fucking about throwing welders in the drink and losing keys for archive rooms.

Gwadien

Just spoke to a guy on Steam who popped up on this - but the German Version, I asked him the difference, they don't use Nazi's - they're called the 'Regime' and they're completely fictional.

Interesting.

From Wikipedia;
For the German release of The New Order, which is the first game in the series to be released in that region, all Nazi symbols and references were removed; it is a criminal offence to display Nazi imagery in Germany. Hines commented on the issue: "Unlike films and other works of art, video games in Germany are forbidden to use such symbols and references as they are classified in Germany as toys and not media ar

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Just spoke to a guy on Steam who popped up on this - but the German Version, I asked him the difference, they don't use Nazi's - they're called the 'Regime' and they're completely fictional.

Interesting.

From Wikipedia;
For the German release of The New Order, which is the first game in the series to be released in that region, all Nazi symbols and references were removed; it is a criminal offence to display Nazi imagery in Germany. Hines commented on the issue: "Unlike films and other works of art, video games in Germany are forbidden to use such symbols and references as they are classified in Germany as toys and not media ar

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock

Interesting.

From Wikipedia;

worth a read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a

Gwadien

Aye, I was aware that they had such laws, but I didn't realise games fell into that category too, since Germans can access non-German games anyway... ( I actually wonder if you got caught playing a non German version you'd get arrested )

I think the No-Nazi rule in Germany is a bit daft - it sort of makes that wet paint don't touch sorta attitude, and also possibly could hamper their education system.(?)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
law prohibits the distribution or public use of symbols of unconstitutional groups

thats the important bit
basically they can use it for education etc just not for jollies, rallies, what not

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Picked this up recently in the sales, bloody good fun. Just got to space. This has everything good from the old days, I even love the special sound you get when you collect the gold artefacts that sounds reasonably similar to the shit noise the original Wolfenstein made.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Picked this up recently in the sales, bloody good fun. Just got to space. This has everything good from the old days, I even love the special sound you get when you collect the gold artefacts that sounds reasonably similar to the shit noise the original Wolfenstein made.

I have it too chum. Been a real laugh so far! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom