Wizzie Spec/RA Spec

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Anyone got any spec advice for an ICE WIZ in NF....yes i said an icer - mine's ice and not sure whether to make him earth or keep him ice. Dont really want to go fire :)
Tried to ask in game but icers/earthers are pretty rare now...Thought about mebbe going earth too but not great damage - any useful input appreciated :wub:
RA spec advice im asking about btw not just skills - not really used a wiz much in rvr - pve only.

Frosen

Fledgling Freddie
Dont take earth it realy ain't worth it, and for ra's take lots of aug dex, mom, wp, purge

Nerwen

Fledgling Freddie
RA wise i totally agree with frozen. Add MoC 3 if you can afford it.

I'm currently Ice spec and it still is fun to play, although your use in keep sieges is greatly limited compared to OF. But when those doors are down there's still a lot an ice wiz can do even in keep sieges. Before this happens - your bolts are ... ridiculous (hit for 300 - be hit for 8xx).Open field RvR in random groups is a little ... well ... TwF is really annoying.

I've been Earth ever since i dinged 50 (apart from right now as ice is more convenient for lvling those Artefacts) and i always found it fun to play. You won't get more but an occasional deathspam but you're quite usefulll for interruptin (GTAE), you get decent bolts (one on mostly neglected Matter resists) with 3 bolt specc (48 earth, 24 fire), decent snare ae and so on.
I even found the DoT to be usefull, cast on already going down enemies trying to get away.
Haven't tried Earthspec in NF though, but can't wait to go back once those Artefacts of mine are done.
If the Earth line appeals to you, give it a try imho. It's different than nuke nuke target dead and won't print your name in glowing letters on the battlefield often, but it's fun. Just a very different playstyle.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Ice wiz only really seems to work if you have the decent fg for it....another ice wiz or two with you around rr6+ simply because you need MOC 3 on all of them(it's rare these days a lone ice wiz can moc a bunch of mids out) and that isn't even that good hence why most gone fire.Bolts range too helps a lot in NF.

Perhaps MOC 3, mcl 2, wp 3/4, acuity 3/4 , dex 3/4, purge 1 you should aim for, if you got tartaros staff you shouldn't be going oom too quickly.Acuity seems a better choice than master of magery, makes you hit close to caps and more power pool though magery is better if you run with debuffer always.

Gazon

Fledgling Freddie
I don't have experience plying an Earth Wiz and I'm leveling my Wiz as an Icer mainly for PvE... but :D , I was thinking:

The Earth Wiz is the only Alb char with AoE Root and AoE Snare iirc. I think crowd control is a beautiful thing that definitely decides battles and Albion can't have too much of it. Albion is depending on -sorcs only- for the mass CC. I'm just always very impressed when I'm mezzed, then rooted, then stunned by the other realms for the length of a whole battle... why aren't Albs doing those things?

Isn't it sad then that Earth Wiz are labeled "gimp" and therefore stay unpopular?

Come to think of it... maybe I should respec then :p. Well maybe I will... to try it... ok... :m00:

Graendel

Fledgling Freddie
For RR5+ Ice - MoC 3, Aug Dex, a bg friend, a DI3 cleric, lots of luck.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
theus/sorc have AoE root and cabalists have AoE snare too. There's nothing an earthwiz can do, which another class cannot do better and a lot more besides. Excepting GTAoE of course... which had crap dps even before SC :p

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, as a retired Earth Wiz (amongst other things) I'll chip in here...

I went earth coz ice wasn't working out RvR and everyone else in the world seemed fire... Besides, I wanted to see how different / poor earthers were...

Crowd control on a wizzy... I actually liked this aspect... It landed a lot and had a nice enough duration to it...

The bolts weren't amazing, no where near in the same damage range as the equivalent RR fire wiz.

GTAOE - sounds good but volley is far more effective... The recast timer and the trivial amount of damage the last one caused made it worse than useless

DOT - whoopie... A single target DOT... not a tool to use often.

Damage shield - pointless in RvR

Basically, if you can get in the mindset of being a support caster who roots and assist bolts then you may actually find it fun, i did for a while... But with poor damage capabilities and CC that is only really usefull against tanks they won't ever be taken seriously as a RvR contender...

You'd be better with fire until u either get MoC3 and go ice or stay fire tbh...

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm had another intruiging option presented to me by a friend - what do people think of this - go fire to rr5 (easier) then spec entirely for damage augmentation and increased crit chance in ras and respec to earth...Apparently a mate of mine on the US had an earther (rr9) and could reliably gtaoe for 500 ish with specced for pure damage...

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
500 damage from a spell castable every 6 seconds...

I honestly believe it's not worth it but ultimately it's your call...

Try it and see what happens but I suspect you'll be disappointed...

Earth is a cupport caster, not a damage dealer :(

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Number if things work against pure Earth Spec.

Snare and Root have the same imunity timer, so if you use your AoE Snare nuke you make you opponents immune to Root.

No DD in earth line meens you have to reley on either Ice or Fire base DD with Varience and higher mana useage.

Basicly with only 1 Bolt and Dot and unspec'd Base Bolt and DD you dont have the frontload damage ... or utility rly .. since Therg can provide better damage and more utility (root, mezz, Pet spam, mele haste .. depending on spec).

I tried tri Bolt spec on Gore which seem'd to work better than full Earth spec and is nice for keep seiges with gtaoe and three bolts.

Eroda

Fledgling Freddie
I would advise you spec fire inititally until you have the rr to get the ra's u need to be a sucessful pbaoe bomber. Even at low rr, u can still 2 shot casters with bolts and pick up rps very fast, especially in keep stand offs that have become common where range is everything.

I would not play an earth wizard unless you are happy with alot of gtaoeing. The line is basically based around various forms of cc, its not bad but why bother when u have other albion classes which can do the same and offer so much more. If mythic added a spec dd to the line then it would be viable but atm its pretty useless in general, the dot just doesn't cut it.

If you do decide to go ice, u should take moc3 as a start, then aug dex\acuity and wp\mom. Id also advise purge 2. I'm back to ice myself now and its kinda fun but i have the rr to get pretty much everything id like. Decimation trap 3 is fun to play about with too, hit for a nice 700-800 on a group but unsure how viable it will prove to be in the long run.

Graendel

Fledgling Freddie
GimpStrole said:
Did somone say nerf? :p

Look again. Decimation Trap 3 - quite an amount of realm points. Less than 700+ dmg and it wouldn't be worth that much imo.

Nive11en

Fledgling Freddie
Well since it's PvE spec, theres not much thought to it. 50 ice, 20 earth if you want GTAoE for PvE pulling or 50 ice, 20 fire if you want a stronger base fire bolt.

Now about RA's, your goals in PvE are simple, deal the most damage in the shortest amount of time and have the shortest down time possible. This is pretty much the same as RvR.
Which abilities you choose to fulfill these goals is just up to you: mcl, aug dex, mastery of magery, wild power, or serenity. Whatever you prefer and can afford. If I were you I'd probably get MCL2, especially due to the recent PvE FoP nerf.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Garok said:
Number if things work against pure Earth Spec.

Snare and Root have the same imunity timer, so if you use your AoE Snare nuke you make you opponents immune to Root.

Pretty sure roots makes snare useless; but if u snare someone u can still root em iirc.

Tri-spec is decent for pure keep-action; otherwise either go fire or irce; earth sucks for anything like roaming/soloing

Frozenheart

Fledgling Freddie
I respecced to a hybrid wizzy .... working out as :-

Fire 41
earth 34
ice 8

Fire gives me 2 timer bolts and aoe nukes
Earth gives me another timer bolt, aoe root, and gtaoe
Ice gives me pbaoe

Seems to be working well so far :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom