wizard

W

whatnow

what is the best specc to be in rvr these days ? myself is earth specc and soloing is kinda hard with no real DD like ice/fire, my respec is comming up and i might go another specline..

S

Sharma

depends, you seen teadors PBAE?

thats what ice wizrads get so in keep defending, just lurk in lord room and PBAE and watch the rp rollin in as you hit 20+ ppl for 900 dmg+

Fire is long range, the bolt are bugged but still, you can blast the s**t outta other realms ppls :p

P

- Pathfinder -

Solo? RvR? With a wiz? Ok :p

Anyway, go fire - DD is what you want for 99% of normal RvR ;)

S

Sandariel ^^

Hard decision actually...
Well, I played a full spec fire wizzie since release, but respecced to earth a few weeks after 1.52 came out.
I was just bored with my class, so I thought I might as well check earth spec, before I dump my wizzie ;)
Till now it's great fun, rooting loads of incoming mids, or throwing a dot on a stealther is great, the AE snare DD is very nice to slow down a zerg too, although the dmg is kinda crap :)

The most important earth feature is the gtae imho, which makes earth wizzies a great help at keep defence/attacks. GTAEing the Lord room with loads of pbaers in it is fun and gives some nice RPs ;)

About the fire spec... awesome dmg on ppl who don't have 50% resists, but sadly most ppl have LOADS of heat resists, while I get very low (-xx) dmg with my matter based spells.
Fire is boring and has nothing to offer than dmg spells. It has a bolt, thats kinda pathetic, since you usually either miss/get blocked by melee or do crap dmg since the dmg calculation on bolts suck :) It's great against casters who are not "engaged by melee" but usually bolt was my least used spell.
The AE-DD... well, dmg drop off sucks, the main target will be hit for okayish dmg, and most of the time the others get hit for something ranging from 20 to 100 dmg, it's nice to cast that on MGs, but usually I didn't use it that much, CCers get angry when you AE nuke mezzed ppl and stuff ;)
Well, the last spell: lvl 47 fire spec DD... fire wizzies bread and butter ;)
It does awesome dmg... on people withlow heat resists, but since they're kinda rare you'll often see something like "You hit for 250 (-250) dmg... can be veryannoying, on the other hand, hitting someone withlow heat resists for 5xx dmg is very satisfieing, if you have wild power too you'll crit a lotand can greatly increase overall dmg output a lot.

Back to the earth spec: :) Well a serious problem with earth spec is, that you don't have any base or spec earth DD, so you have to use either fire or ice baseline DD. dmg isn't too bad and casting time is kinda low, but you'll get loads of (-xxx) dmg on both of them + it's a terrible mana drain.

Well about Ice wizzies... never played one, but imho it's pretty gimpy, except a pbae, that has a longer casting time than the one from chanters/SMs and less dmg it has nothing really good to offer.
+with gtae in the game now LordroomPBAE won't work as well anymore if the enemy has a gtae caster with them.

All this is just my opinion and what I experienced in RvR, earth's dmg output is lower than the one from fire, but you're not a one-trick-pony like fire wizzies, and thats what makes earth more fun imho :)
Oh, the dmg adds with 60 earth are nice too... Hit afanc for 3 + 53 dmg with my gimpy staff the other day ;)

Oh, a few nice things I'd like to add about gtae: It kinda always hits ppl twice (nerfed in 1.57 tho), it almost never gets resisted and you can hit epic mobs and keep lords with it (no other spell can :eek: ). It's great for unstealthing ppl (try targeting trees in sauvage or the area in front of MGs during MG battles, I unstealthed 3 SBs at once with it last week), too. ^^

Whatever, just my 2ct, hope it helps and sorry for making this post that long, but there was too much to say ;D

L

liste

ice wizard is in no way gimped.

PBAOE
AOE DD <better than the one in fire, actually>
DD
DD+snare
DD+resist debuff
single root

Granted, people seem to have high ice resists, but come spellcrafting, it wont matter which line you use.

<with the mini-specpoints, you can get Earth to a level with AOE Root and GTAOE as well>

Earth is Everything-AOE
Fire is Boom
Ice is.. well. bit of both i guess? :)

S

Sandariel ^^

Well...
46 Boiling Cloud Enemy 4.0 Rng: 1500 Area: 350 -5% resist/130 d 39 power
Ebullient Blast 44 Enemy pow:28 casting time:4 dmg:158 Heat 1500
Why is the ice one better? :), sure Ice one debuffs cold a bit but.. umm 5% is kinda nothing, also notice the huge amount of power it needs to cast it.

The best Ice nuke:
50 Entangling Haze (Potent) Enemy 3.0 Rng: 1500 -35%/179 d 33 power
Best fire one:
47 Major Conflagration Enemy 2.8 Rng: 1500 219 dmg 30 power

Notice: you have to spec to lvl 50 ice and only 47 fire to get the best nuke, while ice needs more power and does a lot less dmg and has higher casting time. Sure snare is nice, but actually thats only really good in 1vs1 which is RARE. In standard RvR you want to kill ppl as fast as possible :)
okay, about the other things you added:

Single root: every wizzie gets that, spec doesn't affect it.

DD: What are you talking about there? the baseline DD? It's actually the same one as the snare+dd, just without the snare part :)

PBAE: great dmg... if you can deliver it, delivering pbae dmg is not too easy, tho. Especially since gtae is there. PBAEing castle gates is next to impossible if the enemy has gtae or any other ranged AE-DD. LordroomcampingPBAEing is great.. again, as long as the enemy has no GTAEer with them (well unless you're a chanter, then your no-LoS-pet of uberness will nuke the gtae guy through the walls o_O) (!whine ;)).

In openfield RvR it's even harder to deliver PBAE dmg, unless your enemies are unskilled or mezzed and you have moc ready ;)
About resists: I think cold/heat resists are both very common, and most ppl have them capped so not that much differnce there.

Well, just wanted to say WHY I think Ice is not too good, PBAE is great for PvE XP groups, but imho it's not as great anymore in RvR as it was once.

L

liste

the point was, that fire has only one thing going for them, and thats their high dmg DD.

Ice has alot more versatility, and so does Earth.

Tradeoff is lower damage on DD.

Power usage? pfft, you'll be dead before you run out anyways :D

W

walkerb

maybe on paper they look more versatile but on the field u are gonna dd 90% of the time
atm u cant hide that fire is the best overall line

O

old.SadonTheGrey

The great and mighty Walker and spoken! Listen to him, young padawan!

J

Jenkz

Originally posted by sharma
depends, you seen teadors PBAE?

comparing mana chanter with ice wiz?

three biggest things which means they are nowhere near similar:
1. hib casters get baseline stun, helps a LOT with PBAE
2. 2.5 sec cast time vs 3sec cast time
3. (atm, SC will make this irrelevant) energy damage vs cold damage. cold seems to be one of the most popular resists everywhere atm.

ice wiz is great if you want to sit in keeps/relic keeps all day, in an emain zerg forget it, just be fire for the reasons path + walker say :)

L

liste

Never said anything about zerging.

in zerging, yes. go for top DD, and you'll be fine.

W

walkerb

zerg?
1fg v1fg?
u cant run in and start pbae, id like to see someone try that couse they'll die pretty damn fast unless u got all AEstunned or something :p

S

Sandariel ^^

Earth has an AE root you know :)
And with the lack of CC in albion a 1:4min AE root can help alot.
Sure, fire does the most dmg, but to me it never was really fun.. F8, nuke nuke nuke, F8 nuke nuke nuke...
+ withall the fire resists + IP and stuff o_O 12 nukes for a tank is not that rare.
At the moment I see my role in a group as pure support. If there are mids/hibs charging QC AE root unless we have a sorc, then wait till nothing charges towards me. Look for casters, take them out with my matter bolt (kinda no one has good matter resists atm) + dot. then start supporting the tanks, by nuking their targets with my baseline ice nuke, which does the same dmg as the ice spec nuke, although the power usage is evil, but hey, thats what MCL is for. :)

If I see a stealther pop up... dot, if we're fighting at MG battles, snare-AE-DD the doors, or gtae behind the doors or on top of the battlements.

Now check what an fire wiz can do... only nuking.. boring.. no fun imho =)

btw, walker, wasn't it you whining about crap dmg output on #daoc.prydwen the other day? The times when you could just take out somone with 3 nukes are over, it's now the dark age of melee ppl ;) So my earth specced melee buffs help a lot.
SPAM ^^

S

sru

wizzies

If you want the highest damaging DD caster at the moment, Air Theurgists seem to be it. Resists are usually very low. Took a Troll down with 4 casts yesterday - lovely and often kill Hunters on keeps before they realise what is going on.

However, all Wizards have their role. The advantage of Ice/Earth (or Fire/Earth even) is that you still get some of the most useful Earth abilities while maxing your primary spec. GTAOE was never seriously intended to kill things, just annoy the heck out of other casters and keep healers busy.

W

walkerb

Originally posted by Sandariel ^^

btw, walker, wasn't it you whining about crap dmg output on #daoc.prydwen the other day? The times when you could just take out somone with 3 nukes are over, it's now the dark age of melee ppl ;) So my earth specced melee buffs help a lot.
SPAM ^^
thats crap dmg on magic in general
its going down everytime new uber items etc come in
and like fighters get new weapons with better dmg etc casters dont get any items to boost dmg..

Originally posted by sru
If you want the highest damaging DD caster at the moment, Air Theurgists seem to be it. Resists are usually very low. Took a Troll down with 4 casts yesterday - lovely and often kill Hunters on keeps before they realise what is going on.

However, all Wizards have their role. The advantage of Ice/Earth (or Fire/Earth even) is that you still get some of the most useful Earth abilities while maxing your primary spec. GTAOE was never seriously intended to kill things, just annoy the heck out of other casters and keep healers busy.

overall on mids/hibs theurgs dosnt actually do more dmg but near the same, and buffed u got the same casting time anyways

O

old.Sko

pbaoe in open field really requires small race. many times in thidranki i used biggest troll for cover when i run in to nuke. Its quite possible to miss small kobold or luri in the brawl, but brit/aval is more noticeable :/
And still i can count on my fingers times when i pulled this trick off successfully.
PBAOE with skilled healer rocks, though when healer is sleeping and doesnt deliver stun on time its very disconcerning :/

D

Danya

Seen chanters try the pbae trick in the field a few times. It normally means they get one pbae then get insta killed by all the people they just broke mez on. :p
Had an elf run up to my merc in thid while I was fighting a bard and try to pbae I turned and killed him in two hits... had he nuked from range he probably would have survived. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom