Without SI

E

Erekrose

Well im feeling the call of the game again already. I try to fight it but end up here. Was wondering. I can't run SI on my comp so whats it like without it? Does anyone still enjoy the game without being able to play the new zones/characters?

O

old.Tohtori

Playing it without...liking it....would like SI i think...not getting it.

Hell it's just one island. And who's stopping you from trading for those SI drops? :p

The price ain't much on SI though, so if you felt that everything/race/realm was combed and done with, get SI.

E

Erekrose

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Playing it without...liking it....would like SI i think...not getting it.

Hell it's just one island. And who's stopping you from trading for those SI drops? :p

The price ain't much on SI though, so if you felt that everything/race/realm was combed and done with, get SI.

SI will cost me about £400 unfortunately as thats what it would cost me to make a machine that can play it.

B

Belsameth

personally I wouldn't play anymore without SI.
but I can't help but agree with Toto here.
the new zones are awesome, but there's still plenty to do without em

M

Madonion Slicer

Have Si and i've been to the new island twice, and that was for about 30mins, so what does that tell.

I would be playing the same amount that i do with or without si

C

CliffyG

I'm levelling all my alts in SI now, lots of nice scenery and new mobs. Also lots of stuff for my main to do :).

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Erekrose

SI will cost me about £400 unfortunately as thats what it would cost me to make a machine that can play it.

what's your current setup?

E

Erekrose

Laptop PIII 512mb ram shite s3 twister card (the problem i believe).

D

Damon_D

Ekkk.. had it not been a laptop you prob could have made it work for the half.. but upgrading laptops = DA EWUL

Hmm how fast a pIII , if u can get a decent gf card for the LT you might be ok.. even a geforce I with 32 mb ram can handle it.. just no nifty water.. but who cares ???

E

Erekrose

Is it even practicle to upgrade a gfx card on a laptop? Its 1GHZ the PIII by the way.

G

Gareck

I have to agree that the GFX-card is the only problem here. My gf is running SI fine on a Intel Celeron 500 with 448 MB of RAM and a Geforce 1 DDR 64 MB.

F

Flimgoblin

hmm

got a celeron 950 with 128 megs and an equally shite graphics card..

it almost gets into gothwaite :) then runs out of memory.

Similar problem to moving in camelot...

how does your laptop run in Camelot?

If you can move around camelot without it stopping for 30 second at a time you might be able to run SI (without the fancy effects)

Failing that, if you want to try the new classes you could find a friend who plays daoc (or has a fast machine and some HDD space free), create the characters on there and move them back to the old world (don't forget to bind) then play on the classic client.

You'd still be losing out on all the new zones like that though :(

B

baphomet

SI is great, the Necros are really great.
But they're bound to get nerfed.
I can solo oranges with nearly zero downtime.

M

masentaja

Quick question, can 600mhz celeron II (yes i know its teh Gimp)
Geforce2 mx400 128ram , run the SI ?

Been thinking and thinking and not sure if it can handle SI, hell even classic daoc lags abit :p

Some ppl been saying SI runs smoother in their pc than classic, but didn't ask their PC setup ...

A

acron

Tbh m8, buy SI. You can always crank your settings down and still play it. It will deffinately run on your machine. Perhaps your right, it's not compulsary, u can play without it - but you're missing out.

C

Cush

The new GFX engine in SI is worth every singel penny spent on buying the it

I

inqy

I was very upset to see SI run like a dog on my laptop. It ran the normal DAoC fine most of the time but was very shaky when big pull came in or loading zones etc.

Spec:

Compaq N1015v
Athy xp2000+
256MB DDR 2100
ATi Radeon IGP320M (<-- The problem)

[The graphics card take it's memory from the main system memory.]

However all was not lost. I ordered another stick of SODIMM 256mb memory and slapped that in. The performance is wicked now, I upped the onboard grfx memory to 32mb and the remaining 480mb is more than enough to run the game :D

It now runs SI better than it does the original DAoC client due to the improved graphics engine. I'm very pleased. :)

F

Flimgoblin

been meaning to get some extra memory for my laptop but haven't a clue how to install it - it's a funny proprietary HP memory module thing on the bottom of the laptop....

methinks it'll get expensive

I

inqy

goto crucial.com, select the UK section and then do a search for your laptop. My 256mb SODIMM was about £30 (about £3 more than the normal DIMM I got for my PC). Now that seems very reasonable to me.

M

moo_work

except the si engine owns the classic one hands down

if anything id buy it just for the fact that you can rvr with /effects all without having to relog every 30 mins from frame lag.

(no memory leak in si engine that i can find..)

my buffbot comp runs si with options turned off much faster than classic ever ran (and no memory leak..)

edit: buffbot comp is 1ghz 512 ram gf2mx (32 meg)

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by inqy
goto crucial.com, select the UK section and then do a search for your laptop. My 256mb SODIMM was about £30 (about £3 more than the normal DIMM I got for my PC). Now that seems very reasonable to me.

nice one :) been running around DABS.com scratching my head going "which one do I need?"

will work out what I've got when I get home :) not sure exactly what my laptop is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom