Wireless X-Box Live

Sorgrind

Fledgling Freddie
I'm stuck up a creek with a paddle that is way too big and I need some technical help so here I am. Here's the situation:

I recently bought a X-Box and i've got Halo 2. First 2 weeks completed story mode time to go on Live...Now I've got a wireless firewall router and I've got enough money to buy ethernet cords and everything but I'm not sure what to buy or where to stick things. My the router along with my PC are downstairs in my study whilst the X-Box is two floors up in the loft. Can I sort some kind of wireless link between it or do I have to drill holes in my ceiling? o_O

Any advice appreciated

-Sorgrind-

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You can get yourself a wireless access point and plug your xbox in to that. That should sort it out with out any massive house reconstruction required :)

Sorgrind

Fledgling Freddie
I've got one of those already that someone else uses for his laptop internet. It's by the main PC downstairs and he has some kind of USB plug-in. Would I have to literally plug in the X-box to that with a cable or wirelessly?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I figured you'd get a new access point - have that wirelessly link to your netgear jobby and have it sit next to your xbox in the loft, you'll need to plug the xbox in to the access point with a cat5 cable.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
You only bought a router and not a wireless one.

Take that one back and get a http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php

Also you may want to invest in a Wireless Game adaptor for the Xbox.
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGE101.php or
http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=358

Once you got those you can configure the wireless router to pick up the Wireless Game adaptor. Also you will need a USB or PCI adaptor for your PC if you want your PC to use the Internet.

I went with Wired in the end I ran the cable along side the outside of the house, then through the roof, into my Bedroom. Mainly because the wireless had trouble getting through the walls.

If you need any further Wireless help, u can keep posting here, and I will help the best I can or you can post in the Hardware Section.

Sorgrind

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for your help.
Will see if Netgear will take back my router but will first try Nath's suggestion if it's possible.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well if that netgear firewall router actually isn't a wireless (I didn't click on the link) then my plan won't work - you need it to have wireless support for the access point to connect to it (if you don't want to run a wire all the way through your house).

Sorgrind

Fledgling Freddie
What if I plug the X-Box into a laptop that uses the wireless internet from the access point? Would that work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom