Wireless Routers

Raes

Fledgling Freddie
just bought a router that has both ethernet and wireless capability.

anyone got experience of gaming using wireless?
any probs with connection?
is it fast enough?

thanks in advance.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Unfortunatly mine is turned off :(

Wireless runs on 2.4Ghz which is the same frequency that personal TV transmiters use, I transmit the Sky signal from downstairs to my bedroom using one of these things (cost about fifty quid now and well worth it)

When you have wireless on you get static-lines moving up and down the screen

Its nice to have wireless there for the laptop and I did at one point have the buffbot running over wireless (playing DAOC while on the loo was great - but shhhh)

Herjulf

Banned
isnt there channels assigned to WLAN?
1-20 wlan or smt? not shure i have only worked with the more expensive kind, where we could set them up with channels so they wouldnt interfere with each other.

Same goes for the wireless video/audio transmitter should also be able to switch channels.

However as far as i know wireless works just fine aslong as you dont stress it by downloading lots of stuff while playing.

Das_Hibbie

Fledgling Freddie
Is there any way to enchance the signal just in case the connection would have problems? Are there some extra antennas or something you can place to have connection all over the house, or do the signals reach the entire house?

Sheph

Fledgling Freddie
Raes said:
just bought a router that has both ethernet and wireless capability.

anyone got experience of gaming using wireless?
any probs with connection?
is it fast enough?

thanks in advance.

This works great! Im doin it every day.

the only problem today is with some VPN clients when u try to connect from a computer on your Wireless network-part. Its a routing problem inside the router when going from Wireless to non-wireless.

Sheph

Fledgling Freddie
Das_Hibbie said:
Is there any way to enchance the signal just in case the connection would have problems? Are there some extra antennas or something you can place to have connection all over the house, or do the signals reach the entire house?

The signal has problems going through walls. On some units it works on some it doesnt. Yes there is antennas. See your local store!

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Das_Hibbie said:

That all depends on the thickness and material of your walls, but in general most interior house walls wont be a problem. I play with my router downstairs in the front room and my PCs upstairs in the back room, the signal gets through just fine and I had a similar setup in the last house I lived in.

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
anyone else had problems with wireless routers and the number of people that can connect to them

At the moment I've got a bog standard cheap and chearful linksys wireless access point router using 801.11g (54mbps) and about 5 computers wanting to connect to it to share the net - with 2-3 computers it's fine but if you go 4-5 then signal strength to each computer goes down bigtime and you start getting significant packetloss.

Is there anything I can do about this? since the idea at some point is to get all 8 computers in my house networked (student house) to share the net, it seems a shame if we can't do this. I wouldn't mind buying like a 150-200 quid router if it would allow 8 comps connected to it with no loss :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom