Wireless Router Problems

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
I'm having problems with my wireless router, it connects 3 pcs and all 3 share an internet connection. Here's the problem - Usually when i turn the wireless router on the connection opperates properly, however, after a while (Say around an hour, but this varies) the whole network goes down. Though the router reports that the LAN and Internet connection are still opperating as intended (Through green LEDs on the front of the router).

To get the network working again i then need to reset the router. Usually it helps if i leave it switched off for a while, otherwise it'll just crash again in the next 10minutes . I'm thinking the problem is it overheats. If i set it up with a fan beneath it / pointing at it it's fine, and it can go a whole day working properly but on average it'll crash atleast 4 times a day.

Is it just a faulty router? We've tried moving it around a little to different areas, even propping items either side underneath of it to try and help it get more air. I'm thinking of buying another router but i don't want to if this ones got nothing wrong with it.

Any help much appreciated! I hope it all makes sense.

- Penguin.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Penguin

It certainly sounds like a faulty router, as you say. Judging by the fact that the whole network crashes at fairly predictable intervals, and that cooling helps the problem, it could well be a faulty product.

Just out of interest, are all your wireless products by the same manufacturer (e.g. Belkin, Netgear, Linksys etc.)? Is your network running at one speed or multiple speeds (e.g. 802.11b, 802.11g etc.)? Are you using manufacturer utilities to setup and control the wireless network, or are you letting Windows handle it? I'm not saying any of this is to blame, it can just sometimes cause problems.

If you have the time, try resetting the router to its factory defaults and setting up your wireless network afresh on every machine. Stick to one speed and one method of controlling the network (e.g. Windows). It may do nothing, but it's worth a try as many times it only takes one rogue setting to throw things into disarray.

Finally, check if your router comes with free technical support. Belkin offer a free lifetime warantee via a freephone number, and their assistance is supposed to be pretty great. If your router manufacturer offers such a service, give it a try.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. If you do buy new kit, I can happily recommend Belkin. I'm lucky enough to have just setup a wireless network at home with their wireless router, PCMCIA and USB wireless devices, and their wireless printer server, and the whole process has been simple, intuitive, and pretty much faultless.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Just as some advice, check your Wireless Connection properties and remove (uninstall) any AEGIS IEEE 802.1x protocol, this has been known to cause this type of problem.

AEGIS 802.1x can also be found under the Network COnnection properties -> Wireless Networks, highlight the preferred network and click properties then under the Authentication tab make sure the EEE 802.1x box is unchecked.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
P.S. If you do buy new kit, I can happily recommend Belkin.

I have Belkin 125g PCI NICs and the driver software is causing me all sorts of headaches, I've only been able to disable it on one PC, the other one refuses to disable when asked and the card doesn't work without it installed.

My Belkin PC Card NIC I use with the Laptop is fine.

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the replys everyone. Yes all wireless cards and the router are the same make, Linksys and every PC uses Windows to handle the network. The settings should be the same as all 3 wireless cards and the network were setup at the same time.

I'll take a look at the protocol you mentioned Xane, tomorrow though because it's kinda late.

- Penguin.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Good luck fixing the problem, Penguin. As for that protocol, xane, good tip :)

With regards your problems, xane, have you tried removing the PC card from your Control Panel > System > Hardware (Tab) > Device Manager (Button), uninstalling the software, then rebooting with the Belkin driver CD in your drive? I ask only because I decided to see what would happen if I installed one of the Belkin devices without using the normal Belkin setup program, and using the drivers on CD once the hardware was detected worked a treat. Failing that, give Belkin a call. Like I say it's a freephone number so you have nothing to lose :)

Kind Regards

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks Jonty, Well i checked and i've not got it. Guess it must be the router. I'll have to take a look at getting a new one.

Correct me if i'm wrong but a router should be able to be switched on 24/7? I don't suppose anyone here has a wireless router and could tell me how long they leave theirs switched on for please? (roughly).

- Penguin.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Penguin

My router has been 24/7 for around a week now and has worked just fine. I've just had a feel and, whilst warm, it's certainly not hot.

Hope it all gets sorted :)

Kind Regards

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
With regards your problems, xane, have you tried removing the PC card from your Control Panel > System > Hardware (Tab) > Device Manager (Button), uninstalling the software, then rebooting with the Belkin driver CD in your drive? I ask only because I decided to see what would happen if I installed one of the Belkin devices without using the normal Belkin setup program, and using the drivers on CD once the hardware was detected worked a treat.

Yeah I did that but it still installs the buggy software, I can't separate it from the driver on its own :(

I may well call Belkin then, thanks ...

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi xane

Sorry to hear that, I guess the driver set must differ for each device (the USB and PCMCIA 56g devices I have had different install programs etc.). Perhaps it's because it's a pre-N device, with the turbo speed function, which means you have to have the software installed in order for it to work at such speeds?

Still, hope it all gets sorted.

Kind Regards

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Belkin have a range of devices that use "High Speed Mode", or HSM, normally they have a "125g" designation on the product, you can only get HSM when using Belkin on both ends, I wouldn't know if it works because I have Netgear on the other end.

I suspect you are right, the software is for HSM, but it has an option to revert back to Windows management of the Wireless Network. I have two PCs with the Belkin 125g NICs and one is okay using Windows, whereas the other one cannot be disabled !

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
Still, hope it all gets sorted.

FYI I did phone the Belkin freephone number and got a good service and the problem fixed, so 9/10 for them. They lose one point because if you phone and all lines are busy you get disconnected rather than put on hold and have to go through the menu system again.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Glad it's sorted, xane :D Didn't know about the disconnect, that does sound annoying, but glad it's fixed.

Hope your problem gets sorted too, Penguin.

Kind Regards

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
Hope your problem gets sorted too, Penguin.

Kind Regards

Thanks, i guess getting a new router is the only way, I don't fancy setting it up all over again though :p

- Penguin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom