Wireless Networks Yet Again!!!

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Can anyone help me with this at the moment my Wireless network runs off a Netgear DG834G ADSL firewall router. Which is fine but I also have recently been given a Linksys wireless G AP and a wirless Bridge also Linksys.

Is it possible for me to change the settings on the linksys equipment to enable me to either extend or strengthen my wireless network?

I do have an ethernet switch connecting to my server on the other side of the building, could I set something up over there that would do anything, or is the Linksys equipment usless for that kind of thing?

Chilly

Balls of steel
At my house we have two wireless routers, one servicing the house and the other servicing my mums studio out in the garden - I set the one that services teh studio up to connect VIA CABLE to the main wifi router and pretend it was connecting to an ISP and assigne dit a static IP and used a different IP range for people connecting on it. If you ahve a bridge you can do better beause you dont need a physical connection between the two routers and they can both operate on the same subnet and IP range, although you "see" two routers, they both connect you to the same network. I am not familiar with linmksys gear but I suspect its pretty straightforward.

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Assuming it's a WAP54g model of the Linksys, you can do just about anything if you upgrade to the 2.08 firmware. Cant use WPA in bridge... but thats about it I think.

You could just set the two Linksys's to act as repeaters I guess, if everything is wireless. Otherwise you'd have to set up the two as a bridge, and connect one to the Netgear, and the other to the switch in the other end.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
www.linksysinfo.org

fantastic place to get all types of firmwares for linksys products. I have alchemy firware on my WRT45G and can fiddle with all sorts of things now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom