Wireless Networking: Belkin versus Netgear

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I'm having performance issues with my current setup, basically a Belkin PCI Wireless NIC in my PC goes AWOL whenever the cat walks between it and the Netgear WAP stationed a mere 6m away, even on a good day with everyone standing completely still I'll only get 11Mbps.

Strangely, another PC with the same NIC has no problems, although it still wont get 54Mbps despite being in the next room to the WAP.

I'm investing in some better aerials to solve the problem, but on reflection maybe I should have got equipment from the same manufacturer. I noticed late in the day that the Belkin Wireless NICs have a "turbo" mode that can take them beyond 54Mbps, but this requires a Belkin on each end.

I can either change the Netgear ADSL/Router and the Netgear WAP (two devices) for an all-in-one Belkin unit (with added "turbo" mode), or change the Belkin NICs for Netgear ones, which might get me a sort of "turbo" mode too, either way I'd migrate to a one-manufacturer solution.

In the past, the simple Netgear (wired) NICs and Hubs have served me well but the later versions don't seem as reliable. Belkin are more known for their cables than complex electronics, I am unsure which to choose.

Any suggestions or advice ? TIA

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Just an update, I installed better aerials last night, even with the WAP in a cupboard it still gets a good signal, no noise and regularly above 11Mbps which is enough for my gaming needs.

The joke is that the replacement aerial not only came with graphic instructions (just one: screw into socket), but it came with an installation CD-ROM !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom