Wireless Bridge, will it work ?

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Hello people,
My son wants to be connected to the net, his computer is upstairs and I want to do it without the cables. So this was my idea, stick a wireless access point in the router downstairs,(not in the Wan port, in one of the spare network slots) stick an access point in the nic card on his computer, bobs your uncle fannys your granny, and he has the ability to stick his PS2 online aswell. Thinking about a couple of these from ebuyer.

Will it work, or have I missed something blindingly obvious ?

Thank you,

Later

Gengee

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Saw Netgear had some repeaters you could just plug into a wall socket.
So.... get an access point, one or more of these, and a wireless NIC.

*edit*
Crap, didnt think about the need to have the PS2 plugged in as well. Don't they have any wireless adapters?
*edit again :D*
Saw Netgear also have these, tho I've no idea how they perform.

Athan

Resident Freddy
And do we have to remind you to lock that wireless down *tight* else you'll find neighbours and random people driving by leeching your net access ?

-Ath

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, I take it that what I conceived of is possible, and I need to make sure the wireless bit of the network is protected.

This I assume means setting up some sort of Weppy thing. I just hope there is an auto login, or I will be knackered going up and down the stairs all the time to log my son in :)

Ok I will go witht he two access ports and hope for the best.

Thanks for the replies.

Later

Gengee

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Should get models that you can allow access based on MAC, quite safe.

poisono

Fledgling Freddie
Ardrias said:
Should get models that you can allow access based on MAC, quite safe.

Only problem of this is the Playstation 2, ive had problems my self with a PS2 and Xbox with my router box, the routing it wishes to take and ports are annoying as hell, Wireless PS2ing only brings more problems, Id advice a switch upstairs where the wireless is bridged to then hardwire the PS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom