winroute thingy bobby

S

shabazz

right ive installed this, although im unsure what the hell it actually does :)

what im after is this:

I want to be able to, for example, play counterstrike whilst someone on another machine downloads something, with the bandwith being shared enough between us for me to be able to get a good ping.

Does this software actually do this?

I have both ( lite and pro) but pro was a mess and nothing could connect :(

So its lite thats running atm.

Anyone avail to help?

BTW im open for better solutions...

:clap:

S

shabazz

oh im on adsl

tell me if it should be ok anyway :D

-oh cant really test the gaming side yet as the geforce is dead :(

E

Embattle

TBH I'm gonna buy a hardware router, then again with cable you are connected via Ethernet. I've heard of USB routers but I've yet to see one.

O

old.Frag2

Winroute pro works fine on an NTL cable modem setup, as I have installed it on my mini network.

You will need 2 NIC's in your machine mind you - There are other router packages out the (Sygate - I belive) where you only require the 1 card.

I switched off the poxy proxy server, and setup NAT on the NIC connected to the CM, and thats about all you need to do

Oh and setup the DHCP bit in winroute as well

The only thing that I found that didn't work was transferring files via MSN messenger, and ICQ phone, but I'm working on that
(I don't think it likes NAT)

Hope this helps

O

old.mutley

Don't you need to configure the firewall for Winroute Pro though?

I looked into this, and it such a hassle trying to figure which ports to shut/open I gave up, and went with BlackICE Defender for the Firewall, and Sygate home Office for routing.

Word of warning - if you are going to use another firewall and Winroute, be careful, because Winroutes NAT software uses a mechanism that will by pass your firewall (so I've heard).

O

old.Frag2

Funny that you should say that - I'm using zonealarm, and it detected that I had installed Winroute pro, but when you use another PC going thru Winroute the firewall just seems to carry on whistling 'Whistle while you work' and totally ignores anything that the other PC's are doing.

There just may be a security issue there - perhaps - I might give Sygate a try being that they take next to no time to setup

O

old.mutley

I've been using Sygate for a week or so - very very easy to set up. I'm still using the eval edition and I haven't made my mind up over it - not done any really extensive testing.

Certainly I have no problem with BlackICE.
BlackICE detects the traffic, and you can configure it to manage the internal adapter differently - either ignore it entirely or accept the IP etc.

I gave up trying to get Windows ICS to work - nightmare.

The only problem I've had with Sygate is that its advanced options seems to be a bit buggy. When ever you go into to make a modification (for example switch on the local SOCKS proxy), it insists that the internal adapter needs the IP address specfiying which is rubbish. Then you have to reboot, and nothing has changed.

I did also notice that some apps running on the sygate clients would time out, and not being able to contact the internet - nothing special just web based stuff. Might not have been Sygate though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom