Windows XP

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
Ive been playing TOA fine on windows 98 512 ram pent 3 700 and geforce 4ti 4800 gfx card.

Ive now got a new pc pent 4 3.0ghz 512 ram same gfx card but it can run camalot well at all. Its fine till i come across another player and then when i move the game judders and sticks as if frame rate slows right down. Never had this before and this pc is 5 times the power.

Is it down to XP i am using the XP firewall and never had a firewall before not sure if this is it, but recently while installing camalot i got that sass virus which has been removed but i dont want to remove a firewall incase i get it again lol.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing the problem or recomend a firewall they use incase it is that thats causing it.

Many thanks

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Update / reinstall your graphics drivers, chipset drivers and directX and see what happens. If it still does it after go back 1version on graphics drivers, and if it still doesnt go back 1 version on chipset drivers.

Then let us know what happens.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
probably got the default xp gfx drivers for nvidia and they are crap

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
ive installed Directx 9.b from the microsoft site and the CD which came with the gfx card with drivers on it.

Is this all i need to do or do i need other drivers as well?

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Tigersans said:
ive installed Directx 9.b from the microsoft site and the CD which came with the gfx card with drivers on it.

Is this all i need to do or do i need other drivers as well?
download the latest gfx card drivers, i've had many problems in the past with out of date drivers coming with the card.

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
ok ill try that as well, when get home so update gfx card drivers, whats the chipset drivers that were mentioned above

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
Try switching your short-cut to using NT4 compatibility mode (from Properties... the Compatibility tab). This is a problem with XP that's fixed in 1.69 but until then it's worth doing.

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
Done all of the above seems a little better but prob seems to be when i run move about 50% of time ill hear the computer doing something game comes to stand still and then freese up again only for a second or so but its so annoying.

After being in a zone for about 15 mins it seems to stop or doesnt happen so much. When i die or change zones it starts up again.

All other games are fine its only camalot and is really starting to wind me up..

Any other ideas folks? all help apreciated

Roteca

Can't get enough of FH
checked that your comp dont get overheated ?

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
Nope i havnt is there a way of checking that under windows xp? its brand new pc

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Tigersans said:
Done all of the above seems a little better but prob seems to be when i run move about 50% of time ill hear the computer doing something game comes to stand still and then freese up again only for a second or so but its so annoying.

After being in a zone for about 15 mins it seems to stop or doesnt happen so much. When i die or change zones it starts up again.

All other games are fine its only camalot and is really starting to wind me up..

Any other ideas folks? all help apreciated

A couple of possibilities especially if you hear noise.

Firstly your gfx card fan could be playing up, not uncommon that it gets clogged with fluff, etc. Open up the pc when it's off and just see how easily the fan goes round.

Secondly could be hdd problems. DAoC is quite HDD intensive at times and if there are problems with the disk that might be the issue, can't remember where they are, but a full scan and defrag might well do the trick.

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
Did you change hard drive as you changed the computer? As far i can hear, its a problem with your harddrive. Cuz you say it freezez when you get load skins etc etc...
Just a thought...

Felgar

Loyal Freddie
check if your hard disk needs a defrag. I Had a similar freezing problem (NOT the same), 2 days ago. I checked for viruses, drivers etc, but all were ok. A friend told me to check if the HDD needs a defrag, i did one and everything is back to normal now.

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
Ok ill try a defrag as well but its brand new pc only thing thats not new is my gfx card which was swapped over and worked before on my old PC.

Someone said it could be as the memory is runing low it resorts to hard drive which then causes slow down when hard drive kicks in.But surely 512ram is ample enough to run old cam and si as it does it in that as well...

All other games run fine its just camalot.

Talsar

Albion Legend
Okay.... STOP! :eek7:

I have had the same problem.

This is how to correct it and how it happens.

In Windows 98 you probably set your Motherboard card to "disabled".

Then you installed XP, which reactivated the motherboard gpx, so that you can see the screen to install the gpx card.

Sadly XP for some reason does not default to one card, it likes to run two (which are in conflict).

You have to go back into your control panels, system, device drivers and under "Display" right click the motherboard card (probably INTEL), and "disable". Making sure your Nivida is still there and active.

Reboot machine, and bobs your uncle.

If you have same jummpy jummp of screen, sadly, you have to reactive and disable it again.

Mine now all clear.

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
Ive not got an onboard GFX card on the new PC only me old one which ive put in. Ill try what u suggested but is this only valid if you have an onboard card?

Talsar

Albion Legend
Tigersans said:
Ive not got an onboard GFX card on the new PC only me old one which ive put in. Ill try what u suggested but is this only valid if you have an onboard card?

Most motherboards have some form of vga slot. Only expensive ones wont. With that in mind Windows automatcally always installs the generic driver.

You will no doubt have a "VGA Controller" active in your display options.

Windows likes to install the Generic Drivers, for sound, gpx and mouse keyboard etc etc.

If you want to use better installed stuff you have to either let it keep both (run in conflict) or, do as i suggest and disable the generic one.

Sorry i cant be more help, it is like one of those problems u need to see :eek6: to fix quickly.

But please try what i said, i did it when mine went daft and it worked :D

Tigersan

Fledgling Freddie
Hi m8,

I went control panel, system, advance, device manager under adapter is my gfx card nothing else..

That is the location u mean .As cant find system devices under system tab

thx again in advance

Gamah

Banned
Try Ctrl + Alt + Del when your playing and make sure no other process is using the cpu I get frameworkservice.exe using 60% of my cpu sometimes and when you consider i got a AMD3000+ thats a gay..i shut it down and the game runs fine!

Talsar

Albion Legend
oki...

Start; Control Panels; (switch to classic view); then System; Hardware (tab); Device Manager (button); then when it opens, hit the + on "display adaptors".

If you have two (INTEL being one of them), right click and disable it. Leave Nivida active though.

Also use above and check "System Devices" is there a INTEL gpx card running there?

Also make sure that you have 1 type on monitor (normally - plug and play) that can also be a problem, and also remember to turn your monitor on b4 u switch on your machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom