Windows XP x64 Edition+Daoc

Joor

Can't get enough of FH
Since final built is out, I was thinking about trying it.
Anyone know how good daoc run with win64?

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
I wouldn't bother with XP 64 just yet. Give it a few months before the drivers are actually updated - you cannot use the existing drivers for the 64 version of XP. (Unless you're lucky enough to have only supported hardware.. :)

I'm not touching XP 64 for a while yet. Let others find the bugs before I make the step. (And I never stepped to XP to begin with - still running 2000. ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Chimaira said:
Win2k iz slow :c

Not at all, infact I ran my new PC on XP for 2 weeks then deleted the PoS and went back to 2K. Every bit as fast as XP and a damn sight more stable.

Kicks

Fledgling Freddie
I've found XP much more stable and not quite as annoying as 2k. I work with and support mainly XP pc's and some 2000 (in fact a few NT4 and Win98 ones aswell :eek:) and XP is by far the easiest to work with in a networked environment.

On topic, I agree in principle wait a while and let the bugs get sorted and more drivers available :).

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Kicks said:
I've found XP much more stable and not quite as annoying as 2k. I work with and support mainly XP pc's and some 2000 (in fact a few NT4 and Win98 ones aswell :eek:) and XP is by far the easiest to work with in a networked environment.

On topic, I agree in principle wait a while and let the bugs get sorted and more drivers available :).

I have been in the service business for 11 years now and I work as a server support engineer. Win 2k has proven to be by far the most stable Microsoft O/S over that period. So much so that not one of my blue chip customers is running XP on either desktop, workstation or server. Big businesses know that they get a proven track record with Win2k on SP4, XP might be fine for consumer PC's but it is no where near mature enough for the high end corperate market. XP has good penetration in the call centre market and small to medium sized businesses but the blue chip companies do not yet have total faith in XP as a totally stable entity. Now lets talk XP stability, are you trying to tell me that XP SP2 is stable? It is widely known that SP2 has some serious flaws, do a google search if you wish to check on that. Sure you can stick to SP1 but what is the point of using a product when you can't get hold of the vital security fixes that come in a service pack? Now on the other hand Win2k SP4 is proven product in both the server and desktop enviroment, it hasn't suffered from any dodgy service packs unlike XP and it was built from day one for the business market whereas XP was aimed at the consumer and business desktop market, Win2003 Server fills the hole that XP left. The vast majority of banks, insurance companies, oil and utility companies have stuck with Win2k SP4, the exceptions are the non-critical departments such as desktops in call centres. When XP has a reliable service pack that has at least a 12 month track record you will start to see big buisness migrate and not before.

Joor

Can't get enough of FH
Im installing Windows XP x64 Professional Edition in 5 min..will do some benches later, and test daoc with fraps etc..cya

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Joor said:
Im installing Windows XP x64 Professional Edition in 5 min..will do some benches later, and test daoc with fraps etc..cya

Nice one, I look forward to the results on that.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Joor said:

How much does the full version cost roughly?

Joor

Can't get enough of FH
Ok im back:D
Programs that I have and works fine are: Winamp, foobar2000, virtualdub, adobe premiere, fraps, mirc, messenger, atitool, avast antivirus, diskkeeper, filezilla ftp and Daoc!. Everything i used before runs fine on a64.

a64.JPG

Joor

Can't get enough of FH
will update later with some 3d benches x32 and x64 version

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Kicks said:

I totaly agree winxp owns everything now. Even 2k, although 2k is a very close runner up but fails somewhat these days.

I have never used xp64 but i agree with those who say wait, people who dont wait end up being jaded and bitter because the creases have not been ironed out, they go back to the last OS they used and never upgrade cos all the remember is a brand new slightly buggy version that let them down in a few areas.

Give it time and let other Test and report the bugs for you ;-) then upgrade to something proven and fixed (and if not fixed documented)

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:
The vast majority of banks, insurance companies, oil and utility companies have stuck with Win2k SP4, the exceptions are the non-critical departments such as desktops in call centres. When XP has a reliable service pack that has at least a 12 month track record you will start to see big buisness migrate and not before.

Businesses tend to upgrade every other new release, those that went to 2k from NT/9X skipped XP and will probabaly roll out longhorn. This isnt just the finance sectors but pretty much every company that went to 2k from NT/9X. Those that skipped 2k and went straight in with xp will prolly skip longhorn and so on, im not sure has anything to do with with anything other than the cost invloved in upgrading everytime MS pushes out a new product.

I have however seen many companies upgrade from 2000 server to 2003 server.

2k being good doesn't = xp being crap, i rate them both very highly but would always choose xp as an upgrade path from anything other than 2k. I just dont feel that xp adds enough to 2k to warrant the cost, but ultimatly feel it's a better OS.

Joor

Can't get enough of FH
Did the 3dmark03 test on both x32 and x64>

::Windows XP x64 ::
Main Test Results
3DMark Score 11602 3DMarks
CPU Score 1075 CPUMarks

Detailed Test Results

Game Tests
GT1 - Wings of Fury 306.6 fps
GT2 - Battle of Proxycon 84.2 fps
GT3 - Troll's Lair 68.2 fps
GT4 - Mother Nature 78.5 fps

CPU Tests
CPU Test 1 125.9 fps
CPU Test 2 18.1 fps

Feature Tests
Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 2724.4 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 5633.2 MTexels/s
Vertex Shader 37.2 fps
Pixel Shader 2.0 111.2 fps
Ragtroll 47.9 fps

::Windows XP x32::
Main Test Results
3DMark Score 11058 3DMarks
CPU Score 1015 CPUMarks

Detailed Test Results

Game Tests
GT1 - Wings of Fury 284.5 fps
GT2 - Battle of Proxycon 82.6 fps
GT3 - Troll's Lair 65.5 fps
GT4 - Mother Nature 73.4 fps

CPU Tests
CPU Test 1 117.9 fps
CPU Test 2 17.2 fps

Feature Tests
Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 2716.8 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 5505.7 MTexels/s
Vertex Shader 35.9 fps
Pixel Shader 2.0 110.2 fps
Ragtroll 48.9 fps

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Sycho said:
How much does the full version cost roughly?

Cost? Cost?!?!?! That would be the first time you have ever paid for an O/S eh Matt? ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Mojo said:
Businesses tend to upgrade every other new release, those that went to 2k from NT/9X skipped XP and will probabaly roll out longhorn. This isnt just the finance sectors but pretty much every company that went to 2k from NT/9X. Those that skipped 2k and went straight in with xp will prolly skip longhorn and so on, im not sure has anything to do with with anything other than the cost invloved in upgrading everytime MS pushes out a new product.

I have however seen many companies upgrade from 2000 server to 2003 server.

2k being good doesn't = xp being crap, i rate them both very highly but would always choose xp as an upgrade path from anything other than 2k. I just dont feel that xp adds enough to 2k to warrant the cost, but ultimatly feel it's a better OS.

Mojo my point is that XP does not have the proven stability of 2k 'so far'. SP2 should have been the service pack that pushed many corporations into migrating but instead the fall out from the SP2 disaster has put a serious dent in reputation of XP as a serious upgrade for many companies. Just last week I was chatting to an I.T. systems manager from HSBC and he pretty much stated that his company will not be migrating on mass till Microsoft patch some glaring issues and they have a service pack that is more about stabilty than adding new features for the consumer market.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Thanks Joor, those are actually pretty decent scores for a platform that has just shipped and doesn't have a mature driver set. It will be interesting to see how Nvidia and ATI's driver development for 64 bit O/S matures over the next 6 months.

Joor

Can't get enough of FH
cHodAX said:
Thanks Joor, those are actually pretty decent scores for a platform that has just shipped and doesn't have a mature driver set. It will be interesting to see how Nvidia and ATI's driver development for 64 bit O/S matures over the next 6 months.

yes it was a big surprise it runs so great..Video compression in adobe premiere is alot faster than old xp pro :)

Joor

Can't get enough of FH
Update\\ Daoc runs sweet with 2 accounts..like a p4.. i can stick 2nd account now :)

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
Did I miss them or what are your hardware specs j00r?

Oh lols, old thread.. didn't notice 8] someone just posted link in the other thread

Chronictank

FH is my second home
borowed a copy from work
didnt really see any difference at all in a single session
with duel logging there is a improvement, xp seems to deal with AMD's 64 bit processors better with the upgraded OS

In short if its working fine dont upgrade :)

I uninstalled it since i prefered win xp pro (Alot of the older applications dont work on 64 bit)

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm XP Pro SP2 seems quite alot faster to me than 2k SP4. And since neither mine, neither others' computers I care about have stability or not-working issues with XP I recommend XP since it's more for-end-user system than 2k.
Dunno how about XP 64bit, but 64bit drivers from nVidia are being produced for about... year, think they'll be quite tuned already...

Alas, Longhorn for the win :)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
If you disable all the XP cartoony shite and xp's system restore option there's next to no performance difference between the two although XP tends to win slightly with gaming performance. Personally I use both, XP on games machine and 2K on my laptop (which runs cats-daoc also)

oddly though dual logging works better under 2K than xp.. still not figured out why!

stability wise I'd have to say that neither has ever given me any real problems once they were up to XP SP2 and 2KSP4.

Jaison X

Fledgling Freddie
Im getting a new PC in the next weeks, the 64bits thing sounds rly interesting, i dont know a lot about computers, as i've been reading here, win xp64 is just a O/S.

It is supose that to drain the max perfomance of the O/S , i need to have some specific hardware, right?

I've though in buy a 3ghz amd, (i know, there are better ones, but here in spain, the price is high and 3ghz should work well enough)

Could anyone give me any advice about a hardware that fix well with win xp64? It would be nice ;)

Thanks ! !

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
Jaison X said:
Im getting a new PC in the next weeks, the 64bits thing sounds rly interesting, i dont know a lot about computers, as i've been reading here, win xp64 is just a O/S.

It is supose that to drain the max perfomance of the O/S , i need to have some specific hardware, right?

I've though in buy a 3ghz amd, (i know, there are better ones, but here in spain, the price is high and 3ghz should work well enough)

Could anyone give me any advice about a hardware that fix well with win xp64? It would be nice ;)

Thanks ! !

For 3GHz a64 I'd go for following:
Asus mobo with nForce 4 chipset
1 GB dual DDR3200(or faster), preferably low latency (CL2) Corsair
Asus/Leadtek GeForce 6800 GT 256MB (other variant ATI X800, but I wouldn't recommend it for 64bit system)
sound card SB Audigy2 Player (low cost, good performance), Audigy2 ZS (medium cost, very good performance) or Audigy 4 if you have very good sound aparature and you can tell bitrate of MP3 by hearing it (for pple with worse sound resolution it does not have as big effect)
HDD: Western Digital SATA-II series (200GB+) or two of them if money
DVD-RW: of your choice, preferably dual layer LG, not much important if you don't burn like hell
Power source: 350W is enough if good brand (AOpen or so), more than 450W is waste but leads to more quiet and cool computer.
Case: would recommend one with cpu heat tunnel (hot air from CPU taken with tunnel directly outside the case)

one thing: DO NOT SAVE money on motherboard.

Jaison X

Fledgling Freddie
wath is the micro? amd64 or something? sorry im so bad at hardware :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom