Windows XP Corporation Edition

V

vofflujarnid

Does anyone know the difference between Windows XP Corp. and Windows XP Pro? Or is the only difference that WinXP Corp. is integrated with SP1a and Internet Explorer 6 SP1a?

Thanks in advance.

V

vofflujarnid

Which means it doesn't work for home/personal use?

C

Clowneh!

Yeh, they hack ur computer and say 'HAY! THIS AINT AN OFFICE!'.
Then loads of little robots come round and break the computer :(

E

Embattle

Well my copy of it works fine, prefer it over the two copies of Hone edition I have at home.

D

doh_boy

there's no activation on pro either.

Sorry don't know anything about corp edition. Maybe bundled with office or somesuch or back office. I remember using windows 2000 advanced server and not realising for a while :/ (It was my industrial placement and it wasn't particularly interesting- I counted the pixels on the phones :( )

L

lovedaddy

You sure about that? I've installed Pro at work and had to activate it

E

Embattle

Doh unless you installed it you wouldn't know whether it was the corp edition since both the Pro version and Corp editions are the same, in fact in the system section of Control panel the corp edition is actually listed as professional....I believe you'll find that it is the way in which they're licensed is the main difference.

Q

Quige

If you have a MS Select agreement they send you all the disks for all the software they make, and keep it regularly updated so, you'll find a CD sent along that's Windows 2000 Professional/Server with Service Pack 4 already integrated in. Makes things quicker when setting up lots of machines I guess. And no you don't have to do the product activation ... that's all down to trust and threat of audit, that you're paying for what you're installing. You do have to get an activation code from MS, but it's like you do that once per product ovet the phone, and then use the same one all the time for that product.

V

vofflujarnid

Clowneh, not everyone are as smart as you...hehe

D

doh_boy

Originally posted by Quige
If you have a MS Select agreement they send you all the disks for all the software they make, and keep it regularly updated so, you'll find a CD sent along that's Windows 2000 Professional/Server with Service Pack 4 already integrated in. Makes things quicker when setting up lots of machines I guess. And no you don't have to do the product activation ... that's all down to trust and threat of audit, that you're paying for what you're installing. You do have to get an activation code from MS, but it's like you do that once per product ovet the phone, and then use the same one all the time for that product.

Is that the same as a serial number coz thats all I had to do to install my version of xp pro. :)

and thanks emb didn't know that :)

V

vofflujarnid

Start --> Run --> oobe/msoobe /a

To see if your Window's version is activated

T

Taz_tc

XP Pro does need activation. If it didn't then I suggest you check that you haven't been sold a pirate copy ;-)

Using a corporate edition is also invalid unless you are using it for work purposes and your employer has agreed you can install it for such purposes at home.

Taz

K

Krazeh

As far as i was aware the only difference between the corp and pro versions was the corp had a bulk volume licensing key and no activation whereas pro had a single use license key and needed to be activated

X

Xavier

Originally posted by Krazeh
As far as i was aware the only difference between the corp and pro versions was the corp had a bulk volume licensing key and no activation whereas pro had a single use license key and needed to be activated

Correct.

The XP Corp orate which everyone speaks about is Windows XP Pro, Corporate Licensed Edition. The only difference between it and XP Pro/XP Pro OEM is that with a valid key it doesn't require activation. Of course that doesn't mean it's any more pirate friendly as Microsoft have blacklisted tons of corporate keys which were abused early on within their service pack installers which will render hooky copies of XP Pro Corporate inoperable unless a valid key is entered.

There's another edition of XP Pro which accepts yet another batch of keys - the MSDN edition... Totalling the revisions of XP Pro on cd to nine.:eek6:

L

lovedaddy

Originally posted by Taz_tc
XP Pro does need activation. If it didn't then I suggest you check that you haven't been sold a pirate copy ;-)

Using a corporate edition is also invalid unless you are using it for work purposes and your employer has agreed you can install it for such purposes at home.

Taz

Cheers Taz, I was almost certain that I was having to activate copies at work for Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread