Windows VISTA!

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
Just got hold of vista beta 1 formally known as longhorn, and DAOC runs fine, the OS uses alot more RAM so be prepaird to have 2GB for 2 stable accounts on one machine, game is very stable but with current ATI drivers cant increase gama so running a little dark, and im not a microsoft fan but fair play they have done well with this. IE 7 rules looks very much like firefox but tabbs is the way forward.

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
Also windows XP 32bit drivers are compatible with windows 32bi vista, and same with 64 bit version .. all good so far will keep you all updated.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
eggy said:
So urm...what does it actually do?

it looks diffrent. us technically challenged ppl wont see any diffrence in wtf it can do that XP cant. only the uber geeks will acually see a diffrence. pretty much the same as it was with win2k and XP. not TO much there that is diffrent other then fluff.

so if u wanna pay up for a more fluffy version of XP, go nuts ;)

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
Basicaly from what i can tell and from what i have learned, it utilises the dramatic increase in storage both random access and perminent storage. It also decreases inplimentation times through its image sessions. Basically it uses more RAM to start up faster and make MS applications start quicker. The installation is alot better detected all of my devices except my printer without me haveing to install third party drive. I have been using x64 so i thought i would have seen a dramatic decrease in performance with this 32bit version of vista but it isnt bad at all. The file system is abit different it feels abit "linuxfied" as in something like mandrake tis strange but itstable at leaste compared to when i beta'd xp very nice indeed. Only bad thing i could say is with nothing at all running excpet for the IE window im typing in now im using 628mb out of 2GB of ram which is a aweful lot seen as though x64 uses 120mb idle. But looking good so far tbh .. IE7 is awesome with the new tabs so much easier, firefix feel.

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
DirtyDiana said:
Basicaly from what i can tell and from what i have learned, it utilises the dramatic increase in storage both random access and perminent storage. It also decreases inplimentation times through its image sessions. Basically it uses more RAM to start up faster and make MS applications start quicker. The installation is alot better detected all of my devices except my printer without me haveing to install third party drive. I have been using x64 so i thought i would have seen a dramatic decrease in performance with this 32bit version of vista but it isnt bad at all. The file system is abit different it feels abit "linuxfied" as in something like mandrake tis strange but itstable at leaste compared to when i beta'd xp very nice indeed. Only bad thing i could say is with nothing at all running excpet for the IE window im typing in now im using 628mb out of 2GB of ram which is a aweful lot seen as though x64 uses 120mb idle. But looking good so far tbh .. IE7 is awesome with the new tabs so much easier, firefix feel.

Ive had a drink my spelling is terrible but i thought i should share my drunken findings, also from what ive got through work and stuff this will be 64bit os and their will be no 32bit final version. imo upgrade to 64bit thats def worth it but go with x64 and givth more 64bit apps

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
sounds like it puts more crap in memory so that it feels like it runs faster when you run MS stuff... and run everything else slower since it's gobbling up all yer memory..

Wonder if there'll be a good reason to upgrade to it - XP seems a lot more stable than 98 ever was but what's longhorn going to offer?

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
sounds like it puts more crap in memory so that it feels like it runs faster when you run MS stuff... and run everything else slower since it's gobbling up all yer memory..

Wonder if there'll be a good reason to upgrade to it - XP seems a lot more stable than 98 ever was but what's longhorn going to offer?

MS has always bodged it so if you open any of their own applications they will always open up faster by dumping and freeing memory as it needs for its own applications. Xp is alot more stable than 98 ever was, and its a great OS, and the 64bit version is very fast. i think Vista is meant to make alot of new changes within the hole 64bit revalution if you like. no more direct x anymore and a truely 3d interface, their was alot cut out of what was meant to be Vista so i dont think this is going to be a dramatic difference. Security and antispyware.antivirus,antipiracy is a big thing of this project. Home users will hopefully see the "crapware" reductions. But i think its more of a 64bit push than what x64 is. And plus new product = new income from the producer also.

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
nocare- said:
didn't bill gates say we would never need more then 512kb ram xD

as far as im aware its was 16mb of ram :-p but yeah our inhouse programmer aka pie boy hates ms because of the bad programming he has shown me various situations where someone has "rebuilt" ms applications using a miniscule amount of ram and physical storage. But windows is built using 3rd gerneration programming apparently windows is made with VB and its quiet common knowledge that a cd's worth of VB applications can be remade in other languages at a tiny % of the storage cost in 2nd generation languages.

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
DirtyDiana said:
Just got hold of vista beta 1 formally known as longhorn, and DAOC runs fine, the OS uses alot more RAM so be prepaird to have 2GB for 2 stable accounts on one machine, game is very stable but with current ATI drivers cant increase gama so running a little dark, and im not a microsoft fan but fair play they have done well with this. IE 7 rules looks very much like firefox but tabbs is the way forward.

you do know that alot of other browers are way ahead of firefox?

browers like avant and slimbrowers are the on with best tab function.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Lejemorder said:
you do know that alot of other browers are way ahead of firefox?

browers like avant and slimbrowers are the on with best tab function.

Opera has been using tabbed browsing for ages.. and before the mouse came with back and forward buttons, Opera implemented mouse gestures, so you could just click-hold the left button, and drag the mouse a little bit left, to go back, and right to go forward, and more of those kinds of movements.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm if it needs that much memory just to run the operating system itself i fail to see its benefits for us gamers :) I want the bare minimum ammount of memory used by my OS and i generally close down all processes that arent strictly needed to run it. Im guessing i wont be in a hurry to make the switch from XP, unless they start to optimize games for this Vista thingy.

Bag

Fledgling Freddie
nocare- said:
didn't bill gates say we would never need more then 512kb ram xD
No he said "640K ought to be enough for anybody" and it was 1981
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
Nah, he never really said that.. Even bill gates wouldn't be so dumb to say that when talking about computers.

Oh yes he would :d

MaLk

Fledgling Freddie
Nah, he never really said that.. Even bill gates wouldn't be so dumb to say that when talking about computers.

Oh yeah he would... He has said a lot of dumb/funny things in the past :p

Some of my favorites:
"The Internet? We are not interested in it"
-- Bill Gates, 1993
"Microsoft Products are Generally Bug Free"
-- Bill Gates
"There are people who don't like capitalism, and there are people who don't like PCs, but there's no one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft."
-- Bill Gates

take a look at this for a few of the good ones: :D
http://www.slothmud.org/~hayward/mic_humor/mic_quotes.html

censi

Can't get enough of FH
it allows microsoft to update their auto response support centre alogorithms.

if email = support query then reply request = "Hello Dear user can you please tell us what version of windows you are using"

if reply request < Window FogHorn then reply = "Dear user, please upgrade you operating system to the latest version of windows"

if reply request = Windows FogHorn then reply = "Dear user, you problem will be address in service patch <random number generator>.<random lettter generator>

--------------

Reality is it generates a shit load of work for very little gains. XP is about as good as windows will ever get. If you gonna do anything serious you dont whack it on a windows platform anyway.

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
censi said:
it allows microsoft to update their auto response support centre alogorithms.

if email = support query then reply request = "Hello Dear user can you please tell us what version of windows you are using"

if reply request < Window FogHorn then reply = "Dear user, please upgrade you operating system to the latest version of windows"

if reply request = Windows FogHorn then reply = "Dear user, you problem will be address in service patch <random number generator>.<random lettter generator>

--------------

Reality is it generates a shit load of work for very little gains. XP is about as good as windows will ever get. If you gonna do anything serious you dont whack it on a windows platform anyway.

Dim useProgramminglanguages as Boolean
If world.people("above").haveProgrammingSkills = 0 then
useProgramminglanguages = False
Print("sorry couldn't resist :)")
End If

Anyway... why Microsoft app's run smoother is because their DLL's are already pooled before the application is loaded. Also, Vista's 2D/3d rendering library that will replace Direct X will make things smoother, their new system is called "Avalon", and NVidia is developing (drivers) with the library in-mind, not sure what ATI's response to this was... The GUI in Vista will also be using Avalon, and will make all desktop rendering smoother than it is atm, it really is in a terrible state.

/Ovron

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Its there to kick start the computer industry, 90% of people have pc's that are more than fast enough for any app they want to run and they just aren't upgrading....so bring out more bloatware to slow them down will get people back in pcworld.

600mb of ram to just tickover is obscene, quite simply criminal waste of resources, MS can write effecient software, its called windows mobile for the pocket pc, that baby flies along on 64mb ram and no hard drive, its good because in that area they have COMPETITION, something sorely missed in desktop OS.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I've been reading a few features about this Vista, quite interested in the part where it uses your almost idle super duper gfx card to run everything on screen freeing up cpu for programs running.

Q: Does this make it run any better?

Quite worried about those that have said its very memory hungry tho.

Q: Is it just a case of the speed of ram needed or amount needed?

<shows the geeky side>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom