Windows Messenger service pop up

T

talen_sun

So right clicking the icon in the system tray and clicking EXIT before you start DAoC isn't a good idea then???

the most easiest solution to stop messenger popups when playing...

Edit: Yeah OK, so I didn't look at the link... so, just to stay sarcastic... why not install firewall software, and stop visiting dodgy sites that put crappy software onto the machine to cause this...

D

darbey

Talen, U r obviously not very IT literate so ill explain it in childlike language for you. Im not referring to microsoft messenger and there are no tsr's running to close down and FYI you dont need to visit any web sites whatsoever to get them. If you read the web site at the link instead of being a smart ass you would save yourself a few problems.

1234Taz

Thanks! this has been pissing me off for ages they seem to crash almost any game.

S

Slinker

Cheers :) this has been happening every day , a little fed up of it to be honest , but crap at following directions it seems .

Click Start->Programs->Administrative Tools->Services
Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Disable in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK

no such thing called administrative tools or services :(

tis windows 2000 too

O

old.Normengast

In windows 2000 you can check your services in two ways:

right click the "my computer" icon and choose "manage". There you will see your services and applications -> services

Or:

Start - settings - control panel - admin tools - services

Right click the messenger service, choose properties, change startup type to "disabled"

->EDIT

On windows NT <cough> your services are immediately accessible from the control panel. Select the service and click the button "startup" -> set to disable.

Hope this helped :clap:

Cheers!

Ociri
Fedaykin.

D

Damon_D

Well now if you know how to turn of the msg Norton gives when the sub is ran out I'll be happy..

F

Flimgoblin

it's 'start->settings->control panel->administrative tools'

that link is confused

O

old.Nol

this kind of rubbish is the reason I use a pc as a glorified gaming console only...hate spam.

T

talen_sun

hmm, i'm that much of a smart ass that the link states -

Several people have suggested that the recipients of these messages are at fault for not having a firewall. Indeed, Microsoft's security bulletin MS01-048 says "Standard security recommendations call for port 135 – the port on which the RPC endmapper operates – to be blocked at the firewall".

a properly configured personal firewall, including the Internet Connection Firewall shipped with Windows XP, will prevent abuse of the Messenger service from remote computers.

and yet, i myself said -

why not install firewall software

so, maybe i'm not as illiterate as you think...

S

Sarum TheBlack

I don't think anyone commented on the firewall suggestion, it really is a good idea, not just because of this but many other reasons too. Zone Alarm is apparently pretty good, but I've lost any links I might once have had, google should find it ok though. The WinXP one is better than nothing (although it lacks proper configuration options).

The comment was that you didn't need to visit any crap websites, it's part of the windows functionality that is being abused by this company. (There are many reasons why you might need to use RPC to call popup messages, spam advertising isn't one of them.)

S

Sharma

OMFG!!! thats been pissing me off for ages thanks guys!!!

O

old.Tohtori

Hmm, well, i'm in a pissy mood so why the heck not...

Why isn't this in the tech forum you overgrown little goblins from the castle of smelly armpits?

R

Ragnarok1978

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Hmm, well, i'm in a pissy mood so why the heck not...

Why isn't this in the tech forum you overgrown little goblins from the castle of smelly armpits?

Cause moderators aren't doing their job? :)

O

old.Tohtori

Or Darbey only knows the General Discussion because it's as a favorite link that his or hers lil brother Bob made while eating happy pills.

W

whirling1

Hmmm not been getting that diploma message as pop up , but do get every week or so as a e-mail along with 10 other ones..which no matter whether you 'unsubscribe' from them or block sender ...they still keep coming only with a slight change in address........SPAM sucks

D

Damini

Originally posted by Ragnarok1978

Cause moderators aren't doing their job? :)

Rag, thats the second post in as many threads of yours I've read that swipe the mods. If you want something changed, how about reporting it, or letting us know, rather than just swinging your handbag?

R

Ragnarok1978

It's just easier to swing the handbag :D

Besides, there's a little smiley in the end, so lighten up will ya?

Anyways you maybe right tho, perhaps I should report that I think too many threads are started on the same topic over and over again as I mentioned in another thread. However, the part in the other thread was not directed towards you mods but more the BW forums in general, sorry if you take it personally.

U

Uriron

Zone alarm + daoc

Well I had zone alarm running but it prevented me from connecting to daoc (waiting for me to tell zonealarm to allow connection?) but because you cant alt tab out of daoc i cant allow connection. I therefore shut zone alarm down to play daoc :(

Do i have to manually set up a connection to the daoc ip address in zone alarm before playing daoc or could someone explain how its done?

DONT flame me, I'm asking a question as someone who is not a firewall expert just a guy who wants to play daoc and feel safe from snoopers at the same time (lets face it the only time I'm online for a lengthy time is when i'm playing daoc)

D

Damini

I'm not taking it personally, its just their are so many threads in here, and people seem to assume we simply pick up peoples opinions telepathicly. I'd rather get a pm from someone saying "What can we do about this?" than stumble across a thread complaining that nothings been done about x, y or z.

D

Danya

Re: Zone alarm + daoc

Originally posted by Uriron
Well I had zone alarm running but it prevented me from connecting to daoc (waiting for me to tell zonealarm to allow connection?) but because you cant alt tab out of daoc i cant allow connection. I therefore shut zone alarm down to play daoc :(

Do i have to manually set up a connection to the daoc ip address in zone alarm before playing daoc or could someone explain how its done?

DONT flame me, I'm asking a question as someone who is not a firewall expert just a guy who wants to play daoc and feel safe from snoopers at the same time (lets face it the only time I'm online for a lengthy time is when i'm playing daoc)
Mine pops the "do you want to allow daoc to connect" box up on top of the daoc startup screen so I can still click it (which oddly doesn't crash daoc). If that's not the case for you try hitting Alt+y when daoc stops loading.

A

Aileanara

Thanks Darbey

This prob as been bugging me for the last week

N

Nalikin

Re: Zone alarm + daoc

Originally posted by Uriron

I use ZA pro , had to set it manually , add :-

Camelot.exe / login.dll and patch.bin to the allowed connection settings
Lets me run camelot fine

W

Whoodoo_RD

Re: Re: Zone alarm + daoc

Originally posted by anerae

I use ZA pro , had to set it manually , add :-

Camelot.exe / login.dll and patch.bin to the allowed connection settings
Lets me run camelot fine

Also game.dll is asked for by ZA pro.

Also changing the states of these to "changes frequently" means you dont have to re do it every patch.

Another way to stop MSM pop ups etc:

"start", "settings", "control panel", "add / remove programs", "remove microshat spamenger"

O

old.job

Er ,it's SHIFT-Y when Zonealarm stops you loading DAOC.

Seems a bit bugged some patches Zonealarm remembers the new file, and other times it asks for confirmation every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom