Windows 2000...WHYYY?????

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I have just installed Win2k, its great, everything runs better and is less fussy than XP. I am chuffed with it........EXCEPT.........as before when I have installed it I get a major problem with CS(wrong forum? arses to that!!), the movement is really jerky, I have tried the mouse acceleration thing and I have v-sync on, same with it off.

Please help me sort this because I really want to stay with Win2k, its sooooo much better.

Thanks in advance you massive bunch of lovely nerds :D

SilverHood

FH is my second home
What type of display are you using?

Running FPS games in D3D is the most common reason for jerkyness... OpenGL is way better.

Also, make sure you got all the service packs - they seem to increase performance slightly :)

Trem

I run in open Gl, kinda have to with CS. Service packs are all up to date. This problem has dogged me for a while now, I install Win2k, love it then have to install XP right back on. :(

leggy

Probably Scottish
I had the same problem mate. I couldn't get anything to fix it at all. Now that I don't play CS it has been reinstalled. It seems to be the only game that does it.

It's not jerky so much as not smooth.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I thought Win2k was kinda crap for gaming anyway?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Never had any problems in Win2k, except for games based on the UT engine, which need to be run in OpenGL to work.

Isn't there a dedicated CS forums where you might be able to get help?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Is it a ps2 or USB mouse? If it's PS2 you can up the sampling rate (maximum of 200Hz IIRC) which makes it feel smoother.

Trem

USB chum :(

xane

Fledgling Freddie
If you think it is a USB issue then try USB Man, lots of Windows-USB related patches there.

leggy

Probably Scottish
It is not a USB issue or a mouse issue. It is definitely an OpenGL thing.

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
I get this in XP, Win2k works perfect for me. Have you tried messing with the 'Acceleration' setting for the mouse? Default is Low. Theres an option in Half-life called Smooth Mouse, make sure thats turned off.

Trem

]SK[ said:
I get this in XP, Win2k works perfect for me. Have you tried messing with the 'Acceleration' setting for the mouse? Default is Low. Theres an option in Half-life called Smooth Mouse, make sure thats turned off.

It runs slightly smoother with mouse filter on(in CS options), what is your acceleration set to SK and is your mouse USB? Mine is set to 'low' and it will not change from that, if I set it to none it resets itself back to low.

Trem

Ok, I've sorted it -

Mouse acceleration - Off

Mouse filter(in CS menu) - On

Installed the Windows mouse drivers.

Try it for me Leggy see if it works for you.

Oh yeah V-Sync on and the other thing off(cba to see what its called), its the other Open GL option that sometimes causes issues.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
win2k = win

just make sure you get a utility that stops the refresh rate being capped at 60hz when you run opengl stuff

b0

Trem

I am so happy with it, I don't why I didn't do this sooner. I've installed it a couple of times before but never stuck at it(trying to sort the jerky thing out). XP can kiss my testicles tbh.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Have never touched XP, will never touch XP. I have run 2k since about 2001 and I have never had a problem running games with it.

Trem

I got everything running spiffy then did a Norton Ghost image of my HD, so this way I CAN ALWAYS USE WIN 2K!!!! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Stazbumpa said:
Have never touched XP, will never touch XP. I have run 2k since about 2001 and I have never had a problem running games with it.
Well if you've never touched XP how do you know you might not like it more than 2k? I used 2k for a fair while before updating to XP and since then i've never even thought about going back

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
The only thing XP has over win2k is it handles graphics better, and when I talk about that I mean smoothing images etc not gaming. Win2k runs better for me, less resources and generally faster.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
XP has always run better for me with fewer resources used and a lot faster.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I'm just biased against an OS that has such a godawful looking shell thingy as default ;)

ps, win2k for the win :(

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Trem

there is an option you can add to the command line of CS, something like -nomouseaccel - ill try and find out what it is

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Thats a command that came around when XP was released. I personally have problems running any HalfLife game over XP and have tried all sorts to get it to act normally. I gave up after trying many a time since XP's release.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
I was a w2k enthusiast and XP-hater for ages until I installed XP to see and now I find having to use w2k on some of the old systems here at work a real pain. XP is faster, easier, more reliable and just generally a lot better. But hey, whatever floats your boat :)

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Im no XP hater, my laptop is XP. I just cant use it on my home PC all because of one game. Im not bothered though, I find 2k still better.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
for my one windows need (games), I currently use XP, of which a kind person sent me a cd. (some **** has stolen it in the mean time, but no matter)
of late I've come to distrust my install, though for the life of me I couldn't tell you why. there's just something.....wrong.....with it.

Trem

I've gone back to XP, Norton Ghost is a god send.

PM me If you want something replacing that you may of just mentioned Teedles.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
so you have chosen XP over 2k now? hmm, I'd really have to do a quick swap for myself to see what I think. as to the other thing, thanks muchly for your offer, but I've already sorted it mate :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom