Windowdragging again

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Kriv0 said:
Yes u can but only if u say summat about the windowdragging thing and that it's no fun etc :D

ffs window-dragging green-con pet killed me using h4x whilst all the albs standing around me were too busy window-dragging (hence they were stood around doing nothing) to help out! ffs!!!

(actually, to be fair the minstrel nearby did try to stun it so ta :) think it was stun immune though - typical)

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
daoc_xianghua said:
mhhh maybe because it helps to avoid dmg? Why should some1 stand still when assist train is hitting him when he can also strafe to stay alive alot longer? strafing is part of the game else it wouldn´t be possible to bind a key for it in options

for example would you forbid some1 in CS/Q3 to jump around so you can easier shoot him?

strafing doesn´t help you at all if your enemys know how to counter it =)
If you hit someone on your client on a FPS the server gets that message and they get hit regardless of where they really are.
If you hit someone on your client on Daoc, the server checks where it thinks they are, not where they look like they are to you, and they may or may not get hit based on luck/whatever.

Gordonax

Fledgling Freddie
Pin said:
(I have fun every day playing this game. I don't get worked-up much when I die. I don't often feel the need to vent frustration by hurling abuse, or accusations at other people. Probably makes me too old, or not l33t enough. But tbh, I don't give a shit. I have fun every day playing this game.)

Oh, there are days when it's frustrating - you know the ones, where nothing seems to go right. But yeah, overall you're right.

Pin

One of Freddy's beloved
PJS said:
If you hit someone on your client on a FPS the server gets that message and they get hit regardless of where they really are.
If you hit someone on your client on Daoc, the server checks where it thinks they are, not where they look like they are to you, and they may or may not get hit based on luck/whatever.
And if you 'miss' someone on a FPS you can have a nice utility sitting between your client and the server that modifies the message to say 'hit' instead.

Personally, I prefer the DAoC model. But it doesn't matter how things are done, it looks like there's always going to be a bunch of people who claim cheating is in progress.

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
Still, it would be nice to come up with a method to avoid quickcast target not in view for strafing/running through :)

Pin

One of Freddy's beloved
PJS said:
Still, it would be nice to come up with a method to avoid quickcast target not in view for strafing/running through :)
if they do that, run through them at the same time instead of completing the cast, then keep going.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
PJS said:
No, you've got it wrong. The same dead reckoning techniques are used in virtually all online games worth their salt, mainly to reduce the effect of lag (an unfortunate effect of all Internet gaming -- like John Carmack said, "the speed of light sucks"). You can't let the client arbitrate on whether or not a shot fired by the local player hit an enemy since this is an obvious exploit waiting to happen (according to the Laws of Online Game Design, "the client is in the hands of the enemy, don't trust it") -- you really need to involve the server (or some other kind of trusted authority) or you will soon have a breed of clients that happily report hits on enemies for all shots fired by the user. Thus, your only option is to let the server handle all the "game-critical" decisions.

Aussie

Banned
i'm gonna make a movie what windowdrag is. so many retards on this forum coz they had a 'not in view' msg

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
Pin said:
if they do that, run through them at the same time instead of completing the cast, then keep going.
DOH! Didnt think of that :eek6:

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
Belomar said:
No, you've got it wrong. The same dead reckoning techniques are used in virtually all online games worth their salt, mainly to reduce the effect of lag (an unfortunate effect of all Internet gaming -- like John Carmack said, "the speed of light sucks"). You can't let the client arbitrate on whether or not a shot fired by the local player hit an enemy since this is an obvious exploit waiting to happen (according to the Laws of Online Game Design, "the client is in the hands of the enemy, don't trust it") -- you really need to involve the server (or some other kind of trusted authority) or you will soon have a breed of clients that happily report hits on enemies for all shots fired by the user. Thus, your only option is to let the server handle all the "game-critical" decisions.
MMORPGs yes. FPSs no. Carmack's games included ie. Quake 3, client side hit detection. Planetside afaik is client side also.

Hercules-DF

Fledgling Freddie
I find my wizzie stays alive a lot longer if im maxxing out my upstream with torrent or something :) cant tell any other difference my end, could ppl be doing something like this to throttle bandwidth to force teh lag?

tajiger

Fledgling Freddie
PJS said:
MMORPGs yes. FPSs no. Carmack's games included ie. Quake 3, client side hit detection. Planetside afaik is client side also.

Client side movement prediction iirc. i.e. lagging people dont warp all over the place instead your client approximates their movement and its synced with the servers location of that player at certain intervals, leading to a smoother and less warpy gameplay. Still the server that makes the decision whether the enemy was hit or not.

Night

Fledgling Freddie
Some high rr bards always window dragged on me before patch. Hope its fixed.
What mythic say they going to do, and what they actually do is 2 different things.

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
I died to tanks and casters in RVR FUCKING hax0rCHEATz0rs doing more then 100dmg nerfwajnspam+1one!111!!1111111111111110

Powahhh

Fledgling Freddie
Kriv0 said:
Why can't the fekkers STOP doing it??? How fun is it to cheat in a game really? U know who u are and it's so lame. "Not in view, Not in view..."
And NO it's not strafing. Not when a fg hits on the same target (after taken down the other 7) and no one can hit. Shame on u
go report them in rightnow! if you believe that they use hacks...but for god sake....we do not give a flying fuck......especially when there are no flames....we know it,we deal with it,we die from it,but we do not moan about it:fluffle:

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Powahhh said:
we know it,we deal with it,we die from it,but we do not moan about it:fluffle:

we also know the cheat doesnt exist anymore:p. He was just suffereing from strafing most likely ;).

Ghostfeet

Fledgling Freddie
Pin said:
I'd prefer "I pwned j00" threads, rather than the all-too-common "j00 pwnd me by haxx0rz!" threads all over the place nowadays.

But really, give more "I had fun" threads.

(I have fun every day playing this game. I don't get worked-up much when I die. I don't often feel the need to vent frustration by hurling abuse, or accusations at other people. Probably makes me too old, or not l33t enough. But tbh, I don't give a shit. I have fun every day playing this game.)

:fluffle: soo true :)

even tho i get frustrated sometimes, this is the point of the game, well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom