Windfall apples delight

Mey

Part of the furniture
Time to make cider!!!!!!!!!!!

(or possibly fruit leather as its easier and doesn't require me to nick my dads drill for making a mill).

Laddey

FH is my second home
Time to make cider!!!!!!!!!!!

(or possibly fruit leather as its easier and doesn't require me to nick my dads drill for making a mill).
Cider is nasty, unless its Blackberry cider from Wetherspoons.

You should make hooch. What is hooch?

pikeh

Resident Freddy
pah you obviously havnt tasted any good scrumpy or reserve cider then!

cider ftw!

Mey

Part of the furniture

cider ftw!

Indeed, fruit leather is in the oven drying out, 4 more buckets left. Must go find a bottle to start the fermentation of the apples :p

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie

cider ftw!

evidently they can't have tried thatchers. thatchers gold is great.
for the wimpy ones scared of proper cider, try thatchers katy. it's like appletiser, but gets you pissed quick.

Laddey

FH is my second home
I dont like cider because of the memories i have on it.

When i was like 12, downing 2 litres of white lightning and thats all of the memory.

Mey

Part of the furniture
White lightning isn't cider it's vinegar :p.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Frosty Jacks, sponcor of Overdriven in 2007. I went through (In a period of about 5 weeks) about 20-40 bottles of the 3l stuff with 2-3 friends (so not that much over time tbh) - Just say, my body is happy I don't touch the stuff anymore. Cheap cider is piss poor. Magners is way too fucking sweet, and the only place to get real cider is well.. Not from ASDA.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
i'm liking Gaymers Special Reserve stuff atm.

Magners is good, but not to drink constantly. Good for a summer afternoon etc

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Oh oh oh i'm from the town that gaymer's is from in norfolk

w00t

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Get yourselves down to Bristol, go to the Corination Tap PH and order some of their 19% Exhibition (I think thats what it was called). Lethal.

Uara

Part of the furniture
I like some of the bottled weston stuff, pretty strong but tasty if you like the west-country style cider.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Cornwall is the only place to get proper cider :D

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
How you making out of interest? Did used to do a fair bit of homebrewing and the cider was the only thing that ever came out nice or even drinkable. Would just use regular apples from the garden (not cooking), stick them all in the a couple of day to soften them up for pressing, and ferment the neat juice. Came out about 8% iirc, and it was clear.

Think some peeps water the juice down a bit, ratio in some cooking apples, etc.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Ooo, I was going to use a Mill to cut them up for pressing, when you leave them do you just keep them in a bucket?

tierk

Part of the furniture
Merry Down Cider - really bad ass shit - alchol poisoning from a weekend session of drinking many years ago.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Ooo, I was going to use a Mill to cut them up for pressing, when you leave them do you just keep them in a bucket?
I never used a mill, just handcut them up a bit with a big knife b4 sticking them in the press. Maybe if you have a proper mill it's not needed to freeze them. When I did it would fill up a binbag/rubble sackand put em in the freezer, they'd take a couple of days to freeze and another couple to defrost. When they thawed they are v squishy, so you'd get about double the juice from them. Probably worth a try, not sure how much it effects the flavour, I didn't notice it but pretty rough and ready stuff anyhow.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
White lightning isn't cider it's vinegar :p.

No it isn't it's bloody paint stripper in a garish bottle.

I am gutted they got rid of Blackthorn Gold many years back, now THAT was a cracking draught cider. Nowadays, I stick to the 'bow though I swish it to flatten it a bit.

Scrumpy clings to your teeth, can't do any more than a couple of them.

Was at the Kent Beer Festival last weekend; several good ciders all over 8%, I was shitfaced after 5 pints :cheers:

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
On the bought stuff, Old Rosie Scrumpy is nice. Used to drink Merrydown all the time as a kid, dunno why, it's not that great, prolly something to do with the 8.4%.

They changed something to do with the taxation loophole on cider someway along the line? Lot of ciders used to cap out at 8.4%, now I believe the strongest you generally find em is 7.3%.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
No it isn't it's bloody paint stripper in a garish bottle.

I am gutted they got rid of Blackthorn Gold many years back, now THAT was a cracking draught cider. Nowadays, I stick to the 'bow though I swish it to flatten it a bit.

Scrumpy clings to your teeth, can't do any more than a couple of them.

Was at the Kent Beer Festival last weekend; several good ciders all over 8%, I was shitfaced after 5 pints :cheers:

I tried one called suicider at Bath cider fest, was over 9% iirc (which I probably dont, because I was wasted) :)

just a tip though, If you come across Bulmers from tap, dont bloody have it. Its just water with an apple dunked in it.
Merrydowns was pretty awful, especially the medium stuff, and Strongbow Cirrus is pretty nice, but its a cider for girls really :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
I dont like cider because of the memories i have on it.

When i was like 12, downing 2 litres of white lightning and thats all of the memory.

did the same.
ended up shitting and vomitting purple stuff (was cider and black), both at the same time. one end into the bog and one end into the sink.

i managed to crawl upstairs and fell completley paralysed onto a matress while my mate shouted for me to come clean it up.

i dont think he heard me groaning "nnnggghhh".

i can drink it now though, same for whisky. thats a good one. the same mate was looking after me while my mam and dad went to a party. he is supposed to be more responsible (though in fairness he is now finishing a PhD in high voltage DC). we mixed everythhing together from the drinks cupboard into a pint glass and downed it. he was actually more ill that i was. i ended up smashing a glass in the sink trying to clear the evidence and cut my hands to pieces. he climed onto the top bunk in my bedroom and projectile vomitted all over the ceiling and fell unconcious. i phoned my mam to come home "because weve eaten some bad microwave chips".
mam gets home.
susses that microwave chips dont cause such a catastrophe and calls an ambulance.

good times, must of been 12 and 13 consecutively on those ocassions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom