Win XP ICS problem

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Due to living at the arse end of space now, I got a relatively fast 56k access today... and because I don't want to waste another 45$ + activation fee (plus we'll move to an area with DSL access in about two months), I decided to have both of our PC's share that cans+string connection - but -

Once I enable the sharing on PC #1, the host, PC #2 is unable to establish a network connection to the host anymore - therefore sharing the dial-up access is impossible.

Is it possible to give me a quick, comprehensible ICS walk-through?

Both PC's Win XP Home, 100mbit LAN.

Thanks for the help, muchly appreciated. :)

J

Jupitus

what's the activation fee, Unc?

Miss you :(

S

SoWat

There's a nice, simple, tutorial here.

Basically your clients need to be set to obtain their IP address automatically.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Jupitus
what's the activation fee, Unc?

Miss you :(

Another 45$ - no way in hell I'll pay an arm and a leg for a second line.

DSL is only 25$ a month... and the "fun" part is - we are only a couple of meters too far away from the next DSL switch thingie.
Of course Verizon can't tell when our area qualifies for DSL.

But heck - gotta move soon anyway. I don't really like driving an hour to work every day. Especially during winter.

Thankfully the dial up is actually quite fast... so maybe I'll be back on Auraxis soon. ;)

And big thanks for the great walkthrough, So. Will try to figure everything out once I get back from work.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Ok... I am at my wits end - both PCs are working just fine on the LAN - but as soon as I enable internet sharing on the host PC the network seems to stop existing.

Here is the setup:

Host------------Hub-------------Client
|
|
Intarweb

Can't ping the client from the host and vice versa.
As soon as I disable internet sharing, the network plops back into existence without any need for a reboot.

It shows to LAN connections on the network settings.
LAN (with a DHCP assigned IP) and a connection titled 1394.

... help, pwease. :(

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

.......... or - are there any freeware progs out there that are better than the WinXP ICS majigger?

Help btw etc ;)

S

]SK[

When I touched ICS, the one time, You just enable ICS on the host pc goto the other PC enable DHCP make sure its picked up an IP (most likly 192.168.0.2) then test the net by pinging or trying to browse somewhere. It really was that simple.

ICS actually reconfigures your nic on host PC to 192.168.0.1 and enables a nonconfigurable DHCP server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom