Win XP hard drive error on boot

O

oldnick

Every time i boot my pc it says i must check drive D: for errors , but never finds any. The drive works fine and is hardly ever used.

Its a partition.

partition C: is fine

if i cancel the disk check or go through it , it makes no difference.

Is there some way i can turn it off, it seems the comp is stuck in some never ending cycle. heaven forbid windows should have a bug.

I have no other probs on my PC and its virus checked ok

Nick

S

Spudgie

Do you log out of DAOC by hitting the power switch :rolleyes:

D

darzil

I get the same thing (only it's G: Drive). If the system has crashed, it does it for C: Drive too, naturally.

I used to assume that it was something to do with the fact that G: drive is used by my wife as a file storage when she's using her computer, elsewhere on the network, but it isn't, as it still checks the drive if hers is left switched off.

In this case there are no programs or operating systems on the G: drive, so nothing much should be reading it, so it's unclear what's causing this error. It is possible, however, that the system shuts down before that drive has physically shut down ?

Does your system use more than one physical drive, or is it just a logical drive ?

C

Cadire

I believe there's an option to turn error checking off on boot... but for the life of me I can't find it :/

G

Gabrial

There is an option in your BIOS to turn off scanning the boot sector for writes (viruses) - are you thinking of this or something in windows?

C

Cadire

Something in Windows. I'm sure I had the same problem and altered a setting to get rid of it.

I'm about to look through my notes to see what I did (I have a huge folder with all this stuff in... not indexed:/).

G

Gabrial

Of course its not indexed! Why index things - as soon as you start to do that you lose stuff.

M

mib666

What file system are you using? NTFS or Fatty fat fat32.

O

oldnick

its a second partition of the main drive

its NTFS

thanks for the ideas so far :)

Nick

S

sieben_dapoet

have u run a defrag on the drives ??

there may be bad sectors, or a highly fragmented drive which would mean files are becoming corrupt all the time, and chkdsk always has to try and fix them

are you powering off the comp before it tells you to do so ??

when Windows closes down it flushes out the cache in the memory, powering off while its doing this is NOT very healthy

BLAH BLAH BLAH.. lots of things really, if ure really that pissed by it feel free to email me and ill come up with a lickle list of things for you to do/check, and yes, in case u r wondering i work in pc support, and no, its not for PC world as they dont even know how to turn a pc on ! i work in the REAL world

in short... Defrag / Chkdsk at least once a week !

J

Jebelious

make sure all of your drives are in NTFS and not just one, or it will scandisk every time you dont shut down properly. thats the only reason that it will scan disk if you have a FAT partition

M

mib666

Aye he's right, scandisk will NOT start if you are using NTFS, if it does then you are using FAT32.

O

oldnick

Its definately NTFS

The pc powers itself off after clicking shut down, si its nothing im doing.

Ill set aside 2days to defrag :(

Also the drive is hardly ever used , so i doubt its getting muddled a lot.

Nick

S

sieben_dapoet

Originally posted by mib666
Aye he's right, scandisk will NOT start if you are using NTFS, if it does then you are using FAT32.

or to put it another way, chkdsk works in ntfs {NT/2K/XP} scandisk works in fat32 {95/98/ME}

Edit: first reply was a flame to mib666, but i re-read whole thread again and decided to change it :) i'm nice like that

S

sieben_dapoet

Originally posted by Cadire
I believe there's an option to turn error checking off on boot... but for the life of me I can't find it :/

APM {Advanced Power Management} = Bios Setting = Turn this off, may stop chkdsk/scandisk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom