Win 2k and Win ME

O

old.Inigo Montoya

I have just upgraded my pc and have (foolishly I think, at the moment) installed Windows 2000 on it.

Was this a wise move or should I have stuck with Windows ME.

The reason I am asking is in 3 days ...NewsUpd keeps "not responding and slowing everything down, all my PCIs are using the same IRQ number and they cant be changed, my older games (like Tomb Raider) won't run on win 2k, and my virus checker won't run for more than 5 secs without closing due to an error and .... oh!.....it takes an age to close down.

Any comments?

E

Embattle

W2K Kicks ME arse.

If you have an Nvidia GFX then use the following link http://www.activewin.com/winxp/tips/shutdown/1.shtml. It also applys to W2K as well as WINXP and improves shutdown speed.

Devices all use the same IRQ under W2K and is a result of IRQ Sharing...all devices normally share IRQ7, do not worry this is common as every W2K user gets it.

Tomb Raider is shit so its a good thing it don't run ;)

Make sure you have antivirus software that supports W2K.

O

old.Inigo Montoya

I'll try the Nvidia thing, thx.

What about the IRQ thing tho?

I know it is common to share but my ping is all over th shop when I am playing. I would rather the modem had its own IRQ.

Is there no way of doing that other than altering the ACPI and reinstalling Win 2k?

E

Embattle

Nope you have to kill ACPI but tbh its unlikely that IRQ sharing would cause a modem ping to jump all over the place.

E

Embattle

I made it crash once when I ran a UT server :)

T

Testin da Cable

I made my ut-server proces crash on linux when I did set Botpack.CTFGame bBalanceTeams True and then addbots 1000. linux remained stable tho ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom