Will WOW work?

- English -

Resident Freddy
I am just wondering if WOW will work on my PC. I have got probably the shittest computer ever so I would like to know before i splash out on it. Some specs of my computer include:

Win XP Pro
598MHZ
320 MB of Ram
Intel Celeron Processor (?)
GF2 :(
19GIG Hard-drive
Direct X 9
Broadband

THe Min Spec it says on the WOW website is:

Windows® System 98/ME/2000/XP OS:

800 MHz or higher CPU
256 MB or more of RAM
32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better
4 GB or more of available hard drive space
DirectX® 9.0c or above
A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection

Yup, I know I have a shit computer, but do you think it will work?

Elenos

Fledgling Freddie
to be honest mate .. you'd be lucky. other people may complain of lag whereas you would complain of gphix lag etc.. but also there is nothing there that couldn't be fixed by a £200 upgrade. Believe me, my comp was pretty much that and i found a nice mobo kit 28,000+ something or other .. 2.5GHz roughly, a Ge force 4 128MB and a 60 gig hard drive, 512 DDR RAM and a new case and PSU for under £300. The real bombshell was the 19" TFT screen which at the time cost £450 .. though that was a very convenient xmas pressie last year from my dad :)

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
I think you need a major upgrade unless you want to play at 680 with settings at low ;) GF2 won't show all the graphics either.

I got amd xp 1800, 512 SDRAM :(, gf4 fx 5900 128 MB, wich is still on the low side because of the memory and outdated cpu. It runs with 15-20 fps on 1024 with all settings at max. A friend of me runs it with 256 ram and it runs really slow on his comp.

Though, if you were able to run daoc (SI) just fine, I don't think you'll have a problem with WoW.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Classical Daoc was fine, SI started to cause a few graphic problems, as i approached gothwait etc, TOA caused a few more, but i dont even go in NF, as soon as i see an enemy, i lagged up. Thatis the reason why i quit.

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm, you probably need a new PC. That is almost good as a toaster now, not as PC :D

Mine is P4 2.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB disk and Radeon 9600 (changed 6 weeks ago as old one was fried by some power cut! :( ) and still thinking of getting a new one by next summer :D

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
i would say for wow you would need at least 1ghz and everyone nowadays should have 1gb ram at least

also if you play games why even bother with less than a directx9 3d card like a Geforec ti4200 which you can now pick up for pennies

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Ilienwyn said:
Hmmm, you probably need a new PC. That is almost good as a toaster now, not as PC :D

Mine is P4 2.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB disk and Radeon 9600 (changed 6 weeks ago as old one was fried by some power cut! :( ) and still thinking of getting a new one by next summer :D

Not everyone can just fork out for a new PC every year, some of us have other responsibilities :(

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
AhoyHoy said:
Not everyone can just fork out for a new PC every year, some of us have other responsibilities :(

Hehe, yeah I agree. Got current one a bit over 18months ago during my Master and then moved it home :)

And as I am currently working in a technology company, it will be much easier for me to maintain a decent level even for my personal/home PC as it will be needed in my work too :)

Sometimes I can remember my first PC (It was something like that: 286 with large floppy disk and no hard disk, wth?!) and the steps that got me from there to today and seems kinda unbelievable... :clap:

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
It might work for you dude, WoW doesnt require all that much of your system.. Tested it earlier on my XP2000+ 512SDRAM GF2PRO Comp with WIN2K. And worked fine, didnt even have the shittiest of graphics running... altho an upgrade would really come in handy lol :D
Maybe buy a few ramsticks and a cpu upgrade not all that of a hassle.
Or just get a silly powerful comp :flame:

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
- English - said:
Win XP Pro
598MHZ
320 MB of Ram
Intel Celeron Processor (?)
GF2 :(
19GIG Hard-drive
Direct X 9
Broadband
I'd say that a bit faster processor ( around the 1 Ghz mark ), an upgrade to 512 MB Ram and a cheap GF4 ti4200 would be quite worth it. Shouldn't be all that expensive either, but chances are you'd have to upgrade some other stuff to squeeze that in as well; and then the prices escalate quite rapidly.

It will probably run (unless they have checks when starting the game), the only thing that you have that's less than the minimum spec is the CPU. That being said, it will probably be far from a pleasant experience, you really are missing out on a lot of stuff with a sub-recommended specced computer.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Sad fact of pc gaming: expect to rebuild most of your pc every other year if you wanna play the latest games at anything but lowest resolution. That beeing said you get a long way with lots of ram (1gig) and a decent gfx card(GF5700+ or radeon9600+). Processor is usually not that important (although it should ofc meet minimum requierments).

I built a new comp in august this year, having had my old one since oct 2002, and i count on having to build another in summer 2006, with some smaller upgrades in between.

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
haha fed,you said you wasnt going too play wow ! or is this ur bro ? :kissit:

Squalion

Fledgling Freddie
WoW should work fine that specd machine, although i would reccomened playing in windowed to ease some of the pain.

you WILL lag in major towns like storm wind, iron forge etc.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
You be able to play it, just make sure you lower all the settings.

Expect lag in major citys, but its easy to walk around them in a slideshow with autorun :)

Just make sure you draw distance is set low.

- English -

Resident Freddy
heh thanks alot for advice, I would buy a new computer if i could really affoard, but Im trying to save up to drive, aswell as college, so my disposable income is limited. Rather than buying the game (usa version), is there anywhere i can download it? so i can test my brothers account? - Ive tried NewzBin, but some missing files made it so it didnt work.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Borrow your brothers copy or have him send it to you, any mention of where to download it is strictly taboo ;)

- English -

Resident Freddy
Ah well, will have to wait a week to try it then :)

thanks for the posts

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
- English - said:
Ah well, will have to wait a week to try it then :)

thanks for the posts

pff count yourself lucky you only have too wait a week,some of us are waiting 2 weeks+ to actually get a copy :p

- English -

Resident Freddy
I will be prawning you with me , shorty and cala, being hunters and rogues ;)

Aeicaan

One of Freddy's beloved
where the fuck did you get that haxxorcraxxor computer?:x got to be like 25 years old or something

Swifti

Fledgling Freddie
Aye. I think me and jim are hunters, dont know about cala. i think hes rogue.

But still guna prawn all mwahahahahaha. :flame:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom