wii gets chipped

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Not suprised really, after all it is just an overclocked Gamecube with some funky controllers. The 360 is proving to be a **** to hack aside from the DVD firmware and PS3 is looking pretty robust as well.

Still, nice for us scumbag pirates :D

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
cHodAX said:
The 360 is proving to be a **** to hack aside from the DVD firmware and PS3 is looking pretty robust as well.

you sure? mate at work got his 360 chipped and has since been playing backups of his games.

cost him £35 apparently.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
tris- said:
you sure? mate at work got his 360 chipped and has since been playing backups of his games.

cost him £35 apparently.

The chip is a DVD firmware hack bud, it works in the exact same way as flashing the hacked Xtreme firmware to the DVD drive but it patches the data on the fly.

The main security of 360 hasn't been compromised for example you cannot run ANY unsigned code at all, just the DVD firmware was hacked to tell the 360 kernel that the disc in the drive is pressed DVD-ROM disc rather than a writable DVD-/+R DL. Yes you can run backups, there won't be anything Xbox Media Centre or homebrew software for the 360 until someone can hack the 360 kernel which is proving a very very difficult task. I have firmware flashed half a dozen 360's myself in the last month, it works great but it hasn't opened up the kind of oppurtunities that the hack for the original Xbox did sadly. Give it time though, there are some very smart people out there working on it and they have been for over a year.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The fact it's been a whole year means they must have done a pretty good job. Most stuff gets hacked in a week. There'll be some code-fuck-up somewhere in there though...

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
ever since i got my psx chipped and games started to crash half way though, i dont think ill bother if they make a 360 ps3 or wii chip... but i would like someone to come up with a way to hack the 360, so we can use 3rd party stuff, read it like a HD and play avi's... its UI is to uber for it to be abused by microsoft alone

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
is the firmware flash detectable by XBL?

i wouldnt mind playing backups of my originals but dont want to be penalised for it :\

Yaka

Part of the furniture
some say yes others say no, neither the xbox or x360 has had users banned for using firmware hacks. having said that ms waited a long time till the started ban peeps playing their xboxs while their chips were still on/enabled when on live. the peeps who make chips executer, ice, dms etc all recommend the fractual 360 chip. but even they aren't sure if ms can detect it or not.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
tris- said:
is the firmware flash detectable by XBL?

i wouldnt mind playing backups of my originals but dont want to be penalised for it :\

Right now no, the Xtreme 5.0 series hack has firmware stealthing so even the 360 cannot tell that it is running anything other than the original firmware. That isn't to say Microsoft won't come up with a way in the future but it is going to be very difficult to find a way around firmware stealthing.

Oh and I may as well say this whilst I am here, not one single 360 has been banned from Xbox Live for a firmware hack so far. There could be a number of reasons why Microsoft haven't acted, the main ones being either they can't detect the stealth firmware or they are making enough money off Xbox Live subscriptions and marketplace purchases that it wouldn't be in thier interests to start a wave of mass banning. No one knows for sure why, we just know they aren't banning people with hacked firmware.

Rami

One of Freddy's beloved
cHodAX said:
Oh and I may as well say this whilst I am here, not one single 360 has been banned from Xbox Live for a firmware hack so far. There could be a number of reasons why Microsoft haven't acted, the main ones being either they can't detect the stealth firmware or they are making enough money off Xbox Live subscriptions and marketplace purchases that it wouldn't be in thier interests to start a wave of mass banning. No one knows for sure why, we just know they aren't banning people with hacked firmware.

It's because they're making good money anyway, just wait till Wii and PS3 is fully launched and people have made their choices. Then they'll start banning ^^
I don't think Microsoft is that bothered with it at the moment anyways, you can play backups online atm.. shows how much they care :p

Wii60 is teh pwn (God it feels good to speak nerdish again!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom