Wi-Fi

B

Brynn

mate of mine NEEDS to get wi-fi.
I want all the information needed to Get it working, Everything from buying the card to getting the net working. Tell me all.

K

kameleon

hello? details please.

How does he intend to connect to the internet?

how many pcs will he be connecting?

Will he be Using a laptop, pc or mac?

Would you prefer it if we guessed?

B

Brynn

Ok as far as i know :

He is at uni just now and is sick to the back teeth with the firewall. I suggested he get a Wireless internet card. But I dont know if he is using a laptop or a Desktop. All i was curious about was the steps he would have to go thru :p.
Only one pc, as thats all he has access to (he is a student :p) He has already got an ISP that he uses at home. Would it be ok if he still uses that? or would he have to get a new one for the Wireless? As for connecting to the internet as far as i know i think he is just wanting a dial-up. What he is using just now is the uni network. And he just wants to be able to have his own connection. That allows online gaming and Irc

Sorry to be difficult

W

WPKenny

Unless he has access to a phoneline in his room at uni then going wireless for the purposes you're saying is pointless.

Going wireless isn't some new form of internet connection (for home users at least) it just simply removes the need for network cables running round offices to get onto the network that already exists. You can see how pointless it would be spending hundreds on wireless kit just to remove the need for a cable running accross a room?

If he's in halls at uni and doesn't have his own personal phoneline to his room then he's not going to be getting around that firewall any time this lifetime.

B

Brynn

Good point kenny. Forgot to ask 'im if he had a room phone line :p
If he did it would mean he wouldn't have to bother with anything he could just plug into the line and use his modem.
Thanks guys for reminding me of that :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Sorry to sound rude but, you actually got a clue what its about ;)

Uni network is firewalled, and im assuming he has an ethernet plug into his room with which to connect to the uni network.

Now what you suggested to him was that he got a wireless network setup to ? not have to have his comp by the ethernet plug in the wall? or to get around the firewall?

If its the second, as kenny also said not a hope in hell. As it would be the same network just with a wireless extension onto it as it were that he could use for his laptop while sitting on the crapper :D

If he does have a phoneline into his room then he could possibly get dial up or possibly even ADSL. If this is the case he will need a new account with an ISP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom