Why you can't log into T2

O

old.Hobbes^^

Taken from in game news (which I can't log into read).

Server Relocation NEWS 290697 Server Relocation

Posted by: EAST|DEV| on 23-MAY-2001 11:30:03

In order to increase our availability and performance we are relocating our East Coast Master Servers from New Jersey to our co-location site in Boston. This means that the East Coast servers will be unavailable from Tuesday afternoon until approximately 3pm Pacific Time today. ---

X

Xtro

Seems to be fixed for a lot of people - well I just played on a packed server anyhow.

O

old.KmA_MANTIS

Well its 8:35 am now and I still cant log on so its ben down for over 12 hrs for me.

This better be fixed when I get back from work.

C

Ch3tan

As i said before 3 WON servers, when you first play HL/t2 the game wirtes to the registry the first server it ever auths with. This can be changed in the registry, but basically everyone who cannot get on is default authing with the WOn east server.

/me goes to find the key and the values, be back with results :)

O

old.Hobbes^^

werid because it says in a dialog box that it's tried 3 different WON servers.

O

old.Mote\/

I was thinking the same thing about it saying its tried all 3 servers.

Its a bit silly though putting that information on the ingame news where no-one who is experiencing the problem can get to it.

But the main thing is it works now so I'm happy :)

O

old.KW

Some folks are having trouble getting past the SierraUp utility right now. This has nothing to do whatsoever with the game server move described below.

If you know someone that is having troubles, please pass on these tips to them so they can get into the game:

The problems are with the SierraUp servers. Not T2.

Try the following as a temporary workaround:

1) Create a shortcut of "Tribes2.exe".

2) Open the properties of that shortcut.

3) Type -online onto the end of the path.

4) Close that shortcut and double-click it.

That should bypass the SierraUp utility and allow you to login normally.

O

old.KmA_MANTIS

Ok thats cool - I get into the game - but now get...

WS_SERVERREQUEST no server specified error or some such shit.

WTF?!

O

old.addario

i cant even play a game, crashes as soon as the game has loaded, happens on all settings

O

old.Ronny_rules

same here, but I did play this game for 6 hours ago...

O

old.BEF_Face Dancer

Here's the offical word from Dynamix's Dave Georgeson:

There is a problem with the Sierra/WON/Flipside DNS. It's preventing authentication from happening.
We're trying to figure it out now.

The problems we were experiencing last night were the precursor to the total collapse of the DNS we're working through now.

This has nothing to do with the Tribes 2 code. It is a hardware issue and we're working on it.

==============================================

As a result of which of course our T2 online fate is once again in the hands of the bumbling T2 developer Dynamix, I'm beginning to question whether this game is worth all the trouble it's cursed me with :(

O

old.BEF_Face Dancer

Literally seconds after I posted the above message I tried to log in "yet again" only to discover that the authentication servers are indeed back online, and seemingly faster than ever.

I apolgise Dynamix all is forgiven, until of course the next time you inevitably bring Tribes 2 online play to a screeching halt..... :rolleyes:

O

old.Mote\/

According to the ingame news thing, the reason some people still can't connect is because some ISP's wait longer before updating the DNS servers (very stingy way of cutting costs IMO), and so are yet to aquire the new server addresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom