Why so dark at night?

E

erinandjean

Howdy,
I just coming back to DoAC after a few years off. I know from the last time I played that night on the game sucks as far as vision goes, but this time it's terrible! When I have my torch on, it lights up my char, and maybe 2 feet around him. I can't see anything! If my torch is off I littlerally have a black screen.

My monitor brightness is up all the way, I have a GF4Ti4200 128mg card, 2gig amd CPU and 1m PC210ddr ram. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Erin

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Google: Powerstrip.

It allows you to modify your graphic card settings and theres options to increase gamma etc. even if monitor brightness is turned up all the way.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Bugz said:
Google: Powerstrip.

It allows you to modify your graphic card settings and theres options to increase gamma etc. even if monitor brightness is turned up all the way.
yep its the way to go, been using it for years, darn black samsung screen

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
I used to use a 4200 myself and they are dark... Goto your nvidia settings pannel (display properties -> advanced, or maybe in your system tray), and look for colour correction, then up brightness to 110% and enjoy seeing even the darkest of pixels.

semanon

Fledgling Freddie
Well

God created light and ...

no I'm going to stop myself

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
I use the same graphics card as you, and with the right settings DAOC look beautiful. I use these: (make sure u have upgraded nvidia drivers recently)

Digital Vibrance: Medium 60-65%
Brightness: 103%
Contrast: 93%
Gamma: 0.94

This is on a flatscreen Mitac 17AE with it's brightness/contrast etc set to full. You can experiment with these settings and view through some screenshots of DAOC with different lighting and see what fits best for your monitor.

Gamma is very different between monitors, so I suggest you use the Display Optimization Wizard first to find the best gamma for your monitor. Then you can pull up some screenshots to adjust the Digital Vibrance, Brightness and Contrast. If colors are weak, use the digital vibrance to strengthen them. If there is too much difference between night and day I suggest you turn the contrast down. Brightness you only need to use if it's generally dark no matter if it's night or day.

Hope this helps. :)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
There are existing threads regarding ingame brightness, or should I say darkness ([thread=169540]Dark age of camelot - Brightness issues[/thread], [thread=65307]Game too dark :([/thread]).

I was rather fedup of having to increase the brightness of the entire monitor just because DAoC was dark at night. I have no issues seeing any other application, just DAoC. Other games have ingame gamma control (WoW, etc.), why can't DAoC?! :(

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Powerstrip is great, just set the hotkeys so you can increase or decrease gamma whenever you want. That said it's a shame it needs to be used, major design flaw in the game imo, don't know anything else where 'darkness' is such a big issue that you need to use a thrid party program to get around it.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Void959 said:
Powerstrip is great, just set the hotkeys so you can increase or decrease gamma whenever you want. That said it's a shame it needs to be used, major design flaw in the game imo, don't know anything else where 'darkness' is such a big issue that you need to use a thrid party program to get around it.

Nothing to do with the game.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Bugz said:
Nothing to do with the game.
Well, it is to a large degree...playing WoW atm, and night-time there is darker than daylight (obviously) but I can still see my way around. If it's night-time in DAOC during RL day I have to close all the curtains to be able to see a damn thing...I'm all for immersion but that's taking it a bit far :D

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Well, it is to a large degree...playing WoW atm, and night-time there is darker than daylight (obviously) but I can still see my way around. If it's night-time in DAOC during RL day I have to close all the curtains to be able to see a damn thing...I'm all for immersion but that's taking it a bit far :D

Well, yes, that is true. But I only had to download Powerstrip myself after changing monitor. With a bright and efficient monitor, you won't need Powerstrip. But for darker monitors, you will.

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Yes that was my point, other games manage to get around it in various ways so it is unique to DAOC. It might seem a bit frivolous to complain about something that I already get around with virtually no effort with powerstrip, but seriously for inexperienced people who don't know much about computers and don't read forums such as these, I think the in game 'darkness' could be a major turnoff. I know that I simply would not RvR if I had to play with it like it was pre-powerstrip ;)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Bugz said:
Well, yes, that is true. But I only had to download Powerstrip myself after changing monitor. With a bright and efficient monitor, you won't need Powerstrip. But for darker monitors, you will.

So, we either all need to buy a new monitor or powerstrip? :p

As Svartmetall says, WoW doesn't have this problem. You can still tell the difference between day and night in WoW and you don't need to close the curtains or use powerstrip! Theres also ingame brightness/gamma control in WoW too.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Theres an interview about WAR where they admit that they made midgard too dark, '4 years of midgard started to depress us' or something like that

Rub

One of Freddy's beloved
Svartmetall said:
If it's night-time in DAOC during RL day I have to close all the curtains to be able to see a damn thing
yeh i need to do that too :>

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
The light at the end of the tunnel is the glowy staff of an oncoming Hib.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Maybe your charcter cant see more than 2 foot infront of him cause he is short sighted?

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
I use Rivatuner on my Gforce pc and ati tray tools on my Ati based machine

strange a game needs other programs to be workable, even when you got good monitors

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom