Why is sticking pet on aggresive mode against COC

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
Just wondering what the mentalitly is behind this part because i cant see it as being an exploit, when you stick your pet on agressive in a green con area ?

OK might be lazy if i did it and went to bed then surly ill be risking a death by my char if i pull too many mobs ?

just interested thats all because there are some times when i want to go afk and stick pet on agressive to keep pulling for me.

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
just comes under the "all actions must be done whilst at the keyboard" bit

cba quoting the CoC

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Whats to stop sombody from setting up camp and going AFK overnight? There's your mentality ;)

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Archeon said:
Whats to stop sombody from setting up camp and going AFK overnight? There's your mentality ;)

sounds like hes already done that

"OK might be lazy if i did it and went to bed then surly ill be risking a death by my char if i pull too many mobs ? "

;)

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i just cant see what the problem is thats all do i have to be at the computer if i went afk with an alt being powerleveled ? i mean it seems to imply that you got to be at your computer for everything including say a bb left at ligen on a second computer.

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
depends how the PL is done i think

if ur alt is in a group and they dont mind u going afk...i think thats fine...though dont quote me on that

but i think it refers to things like crafting..and if ur lvling a char urself but setup camp say within a spawn of neutral mobs..set pet on aggro...and go to bed...that u cant do

if ur PLing an alt with ur main say...then the alt is gonna be afk so to speak as ur controlling the main char...so again i see that as fine...as ur at the computer with at least 1 char

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:
i just cant see what the problem is thats all do i have to be at the computer if i went afk with an alt being powerleveled ? i mean it seems to imply that you got to be at your computer for everything including say a bb left at ligen on a second computer.

you have to be at your computer if you are doing actions. If you are being pl'ed than going afk is fine, assuming your pet and your char arent doing any actions. So thats why going afk in a group is ok, as your character isnt doing any actions then.

Jobil

Fledgling Freddie
i dont see anything wrong with it tbh, the CoC is a joke thats never enforced

Vesania

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:
Just wondering what the mentalitly is behind this part because i cant see it as being an exploit, when you stick your pet on agressive in a green con area ?

As the GMs have explained, it's also to do with the fact that your pet might aggro mobs being pulled by other people (breaking the CoC on killstealing), yet you wouldn't be there for those other players to communicate with and sort the problem out.

vintervargen

Banned
the coc if written in a way that stops you as a customer to save time when playing daoc. they believe that if you spend more time exping your char to 50, you will pay more subribtions.

aka they make more money if it takes one month to exp your char instead of one week.

they dont believe that if it was easier to get 50, doing mls, and exping artifacts, would lead to people not getting tired of daoc because they can play more chars.

which is true, i dont know.

rynnor

Rockhound
Vesania said:
As the GMs have explained, it's also to do with the fact that your pet might aggro mobs being pulled by other people (breaking the CoC on killstealing), yet you wouldn't be there for those other players to communicate with and sort the problem out.

Heh - and in what way is this different from the person being at the screen and just a tosser? ;)

I dont like the idea of unattended levelling tho - it was one of the things I really hated about Star wars galaxies - they included macroing as part of the game so people wrote macros to play the game while they went to work or just did other stuff - which was dead irritating if you were trying to level up in the same areas...

Path

Fledgling Freddie
Just setting the pet(s) aggressive isn't illegal as such - after all, you'll LD eventually anyway so it's not really a viable method for longterm xp. Naturally you can circumvert this by using a macro or a "hardware hack", ie forcing a key down. This, however, is illegal. Obviously you'll also be breaking the CoC if your pet(s) attack mobs being pulled by another player, but for this example assume you're alone at the camp.

Cyfr

Banned
Selling accounts is ment to be ilegal, everyone including goa knows what accounts have been traded/sold, the whole COC is a load of monkey poo.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
How the hell would they know if you were at your PC or not?

It just doesn't work anyway, even neutral mobs will eventually shout for help and kill your pet.

Vepo

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:

Being powerleveled is different because you don't do anything apart stand there. Then again you maybe getting powerleveled and the person that is doing the powerleveling wants you to heal, help etc etc which means you would have to be at you keyboard to do these actions. Also when you are being powerleveled your not in control of the xp, the powerleveler is in control of the xp, this doesn't break the rules of the CoC.

Awarkle said:

OK might be lazy if i did it and went to bed then surly ill be risking a death by my char if i pull too many mobs ?

just interested thats all because there are some times when i want to go afk and stick pet on agressive to keep pulling for me.

Putting your pet on aggressive then leaving the computer to go to bed or whatever you are doing is cheating. You are gaining xp through your pet which is part of your character which you control and seeing as your not controling it's actions you break the CoC.

Job said:
How the hell would they know if you were at your PC or not?

It just doesn't work anyway, even neutral mobs will eventually shout for help and kill your pet.

GOA would investigate this, they would then watch his account. When they see he is pulling with his pet and no action is being done by the character a GM would message him ingame if he fails to reply to that message in whatever time frame he would be banned there and then.

Then again this is what was done in other MMORPG's that this type of cheating took place.

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
wonder how many animist there should have been suspended.
about 9/10 animists at 4fins are afk while holding down the shroom key with a coin or similar.
for GOA to suspend u, some1 have to rightnow it, a GM will then PM u and if u dont reply, the GM will move u char to see if u keep doing the same thing.

Vepo

Fledgling Freddie
vintervargen said:
but then the animist would get 'groundtarget out of range' :>

True, but they would still be trying to cast the spell over and over. This I believe can still be seen with the actions sent from client to server.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
no animists dont cast when they get out of target range errors but they will get messages saying out of range.

It just seems strange to me seems that its far from the Radar abusers in rvr to someone who wants to do some solo pve without being bored senceless.

I suppose the problem is going through the grind of being at a computer leveling chars to 50 eventually you would like an easier route to 50 wish they would give us some mobs that arnt so lame ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
NeonBlue said:
and if ur lvling a char urself but setup camp say within a spawn of neutral mobs..set pet on aggro...and go to bed...that u cant do

acually, i think u can, as when u go afk the idle timer kicks in and u will LD not to long after u go AFK, what u CANT do however is say have a macro program or jam a key down to reset that idle timer so u wont go LD. THATS when ppl get banned....

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:

GoA cleared this up last week.

1) You must be at your computer when your character performs any action - this is in the CoC

2) You must not use any 3rd party tool or application (such as jamming down a key) to stop you going linkdead due to inactivity

3) If your pet on agressive, attacks a mob that someone else pulled first, you are responsible, and break the CoC

DrunkSkunk

Fledgling Freddie
I think Requiel stated in a previous post that stick you pet on agro mode isn't wrong. The pet does what its orderd to do, agro mobs. The trick not to go LD while afk is against the CoC..

might be mistaken, or misread that post tho :)

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
DrunkSkunk said:
I think Requiel stated in a previous post that stick you pet on agro mode isn't wrong. The pet does what its orderd to do, agro mobs. The trick not to go LD while afk is against the CoC..

might be mistaken, or misread that post tho :)

i though it was you must be at your computer to perform an action that requires human intervention.

one in combat a character will keep swinging with his weapon, so if you get up to go and get a drink while leaving your character in combat is a banable offence?

leave someone in melee doesn't require hunamn intervention, but performing a style does.

Calgacus

Fledgling Freddie
It's quite simple m8. It's such an obnoxious, rude and anti-social thing to do. If I decide to stay up late to lvl my char then get to the camp spot I want only to find some idiot has gone to bed leaving his pet on aggro then It's just not fair. I've made the choice to PLAY the game but am being forced to find another spot or to log off because of some lazy idiot.

MMO games are about playing with other people. If you want to just level up asap go play Diablo 2 or something like that!

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Ok first im gonna make a few assumptions since I only saw this thread now and ament going to read every post, read some.

First of, I will assume you had a pet-class Exping or Powerleveling while afk by just sticking the pet on aggresive. Right?

Second, Im going to assume no 3rd party software / macros were used. Just set the pet to 'stay' inside a spawn and let it automatically kill mobs that spawn close because of 'aggresive mode'. Right?

Ok, now assuming that those above statements are true, its complete bullshit and not against the CoC in anyway, if GOA have banned you I urge you to do something about it.

You were not performing an action that requires you to be infront of the screen.
You are not using 3rd Party software.
You are not using Macros, or automation tools.

What you are doing is 100% similiar to this scenario. Your in emain with your group, your stuck to the leader, you go afk. Banned? No, because /stick doesnt require continous intervention.

So if what I'm assuming is correct, then get GOA on the line and bark at them if they have penalised you.

And if any GOA peeps are reading this, explain.

[Edit] Also, regarding the preventing LD, I believe if you go auto-run mode into a wall or obstacle you wont LD. Happy afk PLing :D

Eroa

Banned
NeonBlue said:
if ur alt is in a group and they dont mind u going afk...i think thats fine...though dont quote me on that

Tried, but i couldnt restrain myself from quoting you :(

Is like a bigred button who say dont push.

vintervargen

Banned
Eroa said:
Tried, but i couldnt restrain myself from quoting you :(

Is like a bigred button who say dont push.

Eroa, sometimes you are not so funny.

And mostly you are just plain boring.

:(

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Assholes afk killing screw up xp for countless lowbies.
Your pet WILL add on anything in range, this is against the CoC aswell as annoying for the people trying to xp

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom